Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems as though we have a lot of "collectors" out there. I have a few friends with 15+ CBs who continue to apply to firms that did not come to OCI with the hopes of getting their total CB # up to 20.


i think you're friends with assholes. i don't know these people.


TCR With 10+ callbacks, they're likely top 10% and/or IP. A lot of firms will give them an offer based on grades alone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems as though we have a lot of "collectors" out there. I have a few friends with 15+ CBs who continue to apply to firms that did not come to OCI with the hopes of getting their total CB # up to 20.


i think you're friends with assholes. i don't know these people.


TCR With 10+ callbacks, they're likely top 10% and/or IP. A lot of firms will give them an offer based on grades alone.


I was top 10% and IP when I did my Loyola bids, and a number of firms (not talking S&C or whatever) wouldn't even give me a screening interview. This economy is ROUGH.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems as though we have a lot of "collectors" out there. I have a few friends with 15+ CBs who continue to apply to firms that did not come to OCI with the hopes of getting their total CB # up to 20.


i think you're friends with assholes. i don't know these people.


TCR With 10+ callbacks, they're likely top 10% and/or IP. A lot of firms will give them an offer based on grades alone.


I was top 10% and IP when I did my Loyola bids, and a number of firms (not talking S&C or whatever) wouldn't even give me a screening interview. This economy is ROUGH.


Right, except these people already have 10+ CALLBACKS. They already beat out a lot of competitors. Some v-10s will give an offer for a high GPA as long as the person is remotely coherent.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Right, except these people already have 10+ CALLBACKS. They already beat out a lot of competitors. Some v-10s will give an offer for a high GPA as long as the person is remotely coherent.


And some V10s have callback -> offer rates of below 30% ITE. And if we're talking IP people, those callbacks are often at boutiques that hire like 3-5 people.

My point is you have no context. If your 10 CBs are at S&C through Paul Weiss, then yeah, you're wasting your time applying to more firms. If your CBs are at places that are hiring < 10 people, then you want all the CBs you can get because your yield is going to be shit.

This is especially true at NU, where Chicago firms like Mayer and Latham seem to have a ton of interview slots (and presumably a lot of CB slots) but had tiny summer classes of like 10 people last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:51 pm

if you're in IP, you really shouldn't be looking at "vault" - go work where patent superstars work at - go find out from law360 who's doing all the good work.

When Intel has a billion dollar patent problem, they don't go to Wachtell or S&C, their first step isn't to open up their browser and go to Vault.com - they go to individual litigators who they want first-chairing their case (See Matt Powers, Morgan Chu, William Lee, et al.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if you're in IP, you really shouldn't be looking at "vault ratings" - go work where patent superstars work at - go find out from law360 who's doing all the good work.

When Intel has a billion dollar patent problem, they don't go to Wachtell or S&C - they go to individual litigators who they want on their case. These guys aren't hanging out on Wall street firms.


I wasn't talking about prestige, I was talking about callback/offer ratio. The top Vault firms hire have summer classes of 50-100 people, and tend to give offers to 50-70% of the people they call back. The same isn't necessarily true for IP. Howrey DC, which is pretty big for an IP lit practice, hired only 7 people last year. Having a bunch of callbacks at places like that shouldn't make you feel secure and stop looking for more interview opportunities.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm

Any word on offers post callbacks? Paul Hastings Chicago, anyone?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Katten ding via e-mail

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Katten ding via e-mail


Ditto. I am absolutely floored.

Wildcats Anon
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Wildcats Anon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten ding via e-mail


Ditto. I am absolutely floored.



Double ditto.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten ding via e-mail


Ditto. I am absolutely floored.


Why floored?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten ding via e-mail


Ditto. I am absolutely floored.


Why floored?


Katten hired 5 people last year, down from 30 during the boom. Why is anyone surprised they got dinged?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Any news from Cooley or Proskauer LA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten hired 5 people last year, down from 30 during the boom. Why is anyone surprised they got dinged?


Agreed. Way too many ppl drank the career services kool-aid and ignored the ominous writing on the wall. I've been surprised how little many of my classmates really know about some of these firms. Katten remains in the tank. It's sad that ppl wasted a precious Chicago bid on a firm that intended to hire so few ppl.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Hello, visiting student here. How long was the turnaround from Interview to Callback in Chicago? Does it seem that Chicago firms are taking a bit longer to return the verdict? Best of luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Was Foley Lardner ding via email or snail mail? Looking for info on the SF office in particular.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten hired 5 people last year, down from 30 during the boom. Why is anyone surprised they got dinged?


Agreed. Way too many ppl drank the career services kool-aid and ignored the ominous writing on the wall. I've been surprised how little many of my classmates really know about some of these firms. Katten remains in the tank. It's sad that ppl wasted a precious Chicago bid on a firm that intended to hire so few ppl.


Katten claims they are hiring 15 people this year and my numbers were well above their median for last year, so that is why floored.

And what are these firm that were likely to hire a lot of people? Even Jenner only took 3 NU students last year, and Kirkland and Sidley are not in the cards for all of us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Katten hired 5 people last year, down from 30 during the boom. Why is anyone surprised they got dinged?


Agreed. Way too many ppl drank the career services kool-aid and ignored the ominous writing on the wall. I've been surprised how little many of my classmates really know about some of these firms. Katten remains in the tank. It's sad that ppl wasted a precious Chicago bid on a firm that intended to hire so few ppl.


Katten claims they are hiring 15 people this year and my numbers were well above their median for last year, so that is why floored.

And what are these firm that were likely to hire a lot of people? Even Jenner only took 3 NU students last year, and Kirkland and Sidley are not in the cards for all of us.


Sorry to belabor the Katten issue, and feel free to ignore this post, but how did you hear they were planning to hire 15 this summer? I'm thinking they may end up being my only CB, so it would be great news for me if there were 15 rather than 5 spots...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 am

whats the vibe like at NU this time of the year among rising 2Ls?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was Foley Lardner ding via email or snail mail? Looking for info on the SF office in particular.


As far as I'm aware, no one in this thread has reported a ding (reject) from Foley (any office) yet. The two CBs that were reported were by phone, I believe.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to belabor the Katten issue, and feel free to ignore this post, but how did you hear they were planning to hire 15 this summer? I'm thinking they may end up being my only CB, so it would be great news for me if there were 15 rather than 5 spots...


My interviewer said it. I can imagine no reason for him to BS on this issue once I am actually sitting there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the vibe like at NU this time of the year among rising 2Ls?


I am starting to develop a mild panic. But no one else seems to be showing signs of stress--at least as far as I can tell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the vibe like at NU this time of the year among rising 2Ls?


Honestly a lot of people don't really realize how important OCI is. There were a shocking number of people that had poor bidding strategy, poor market selection, etc. So not much visible panic yet, because most people don't know to panic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 pm

So - What's the average turnaround from screening interview to callback for Chicago firms interviewing out of NU? Would 7-10 days seem a reasonable estimate?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So - What's the average turnaround from screening interview to callback for Chicago firms interviewing out of NU? Would 7-10 days seem a reasonable estimate?


With a few outliers, 3-5 days is more realistic.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.