Two-tier models for Associates?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
miamiman

Two-tier models for Associates?

Postby miamiman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 am

So xo is having a field day after someone ran a July article indicating that law firms in California were considering and, in limited cases, adopting a two-tier model for associates. Is this really going to take hold? Can any current SAs confirm or deny that this exists beyond what we already know (staff attorneys, discovery attorneys, etc.)...

--LinkRemoved--

Renzo

Re: Two-tier models for Associates?

Postby Renzo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm not going to click through to the link, but there are a few big firms that have already adopted a two-tier model.

It's not that different than what other firms are doing, but instead of hiring contract attorneys they're creating an in-house pool of staff attorneys.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Renzo wrote:I'm not going to click through to the link, but there are a few big firms that have already adopted a two-tier model.

It's not that different than what other firms are doing, but instead of hiring contract attorneys they're creating an in-house pool of staff attorneys.

The implication, as raised by the xo'ers, is that this will be a discreet way to lower the price point for all associates since second tier associates will, on average, boast a) similar credentials to first-tiers and b) be likewise referred to as simply "associate".

EDIT: and of course this all checks out because there is a virtual sea of unemployed but highly credentialed young attorneys who would kill for the opportunity to wade through doc review at 80k/yr

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:06 am

miamiman wrote:So xo is having a field day after someone ran a July article indicating that law firms in California were considering and, in limited cases, adopting a two-tier model for associates. Is this really going to take hold? Can any current SAs confirm or deny that this exists beyond what we already know (staff attorneys, discovery attorneys, etc.)...

--LinkRemoved--

That website hurts my eyes.

And, I assumed most big firms always had a "Partner track" and "Non-Partner track".

The "Partner track" people are the bitches, get paid a bit more than the other track.. but marginal.. and work bitchin'(yes, I said it) hours.

The "Non-Partner track" are basically staff attorneys.. working 40-50 hour weeks.. no chance at partnering in the firm though. Very nice gig I hear if you plan to lateral to another practice or start your own practice. You can still say you're an Associate at the firm on your resume and you're not busting your back for nothing.. though I hear that getting on the "Partner" track is like getting off the friend ladder in a relationship.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:09 am

miamiman wrote:So xo is having a field day after someone ran a July article indicating that law firms in California were considering and, in limited cases, adopting a two-tier model for associates. Is this really going to take hold? Can any current SAs confirm or deny that this exists beyond what we already know (staff attorneys, discovery attorneys, etc.)...

--LinkRemoved--

stop being so obsessive

not kidding

at all

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 am

doyleoil wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

stop being so obsessive

not kidding

at all

:), I was waiting for your reply. It's cool dude -- not losing sleep over this but am still interested to hear what others have heard.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:44 am

miamiman wrote:
Renzo wrote:I'm not going to click through to the link, but there are a few big firms that have already adopted a two-tier model.

The implication, as raised by the xo'ers, is that this will be a discreet way to lower the price point for all associates since second tier associates will, on average, boast a) similar credentials to first-tiers and b) be likewise referred to as simply "associate".

EDIT: and of course this all checks out because there is a virtual sea of unemployed but highly credentialed young attorneys who would kill for the opportunity to wade through doc review at 80k/yr

Actually, I think it's a positive development. It creates the currently-mythical job where you trade less billable expectations for less money. Most people coming out of school don't want to work 3200 hours a year, but the current choice is do that for 160 or work the same amount for less money at a smaller firm, because GC's, federal agencies, etc. won't take you as a first year (generally speaking). Now people who never wanted to sacrifice their whole lives for money don't have to, because they can earn an acceptable amount without having to pretend they're gunning for partner.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 am

Renzo wrote:
miamiman wrote:

Actually, I think it's a positive development. It creates the currently-mythical job where you trade less billable expectations for less money. Most people coming out of school don't want to work 3200 hours a year, but the current choice is do that for 160 or work the same amount for less money at a smaller firm, because GC's, federal agencies, etc. won't take you as a first year (generally speaking). Now people who never wanted to sacrifice their whole lives for money don't have to, because they can earn an acceptable amount without having to pretend they're gunning for partner.

But what would a second-tier associate's exit opportunities be? And what kind of training would they get?

Return to “Legal Employment”