is it worth bidding on firms with tiny class sizes? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shmoo597

Bronze

is it worth bidding on firms with tiny class sizes?

Post by shmoo597 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 am

I know the obvious answer he is probably "no," but I'm looking at a regional market (not DC, NYC, Chicago, or LA) where the vast majority of firms coming to my OCI have small class sizes. A handful are above 10, but many are under 5, and none come even close to the sizes of some of NYC's monster firms. I'm willing to bid on firms with class sizes in the 5-10 range, but am hesitant to bid on any firm or office that takes only 2 people, even if the firm looks like a place I'd really love to work. At the same time, it's obvious these offices are interested in students at my school, as they are coming a long way to conduct interviews here, and some of these firms look appealing. ITE is it worth it to bid at these smaller firms? Thanks

jayn3

Silver

Re: is it worth bidding on firms with tiny class sizes?

Post by jayn3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:20 am

if a firm looks like a place you'd really love to work, you have a much better shot of impressing them at the interview.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:28 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 pm

shmoo597 wrote:I know the obvious answer he is probably "no," but I'm looking at a regional market (not DC, NYC, Chicago, or LA) where the vast majority of firms coming to my OCI have small class sizes. A handful are above 10, but many are under 5, and none come even close to the sizes of some of NYC's monster firms. I'm willing to bid on firms with class sizes in the 5-10 range, but am hesitant to bid on any firm or office that takes only 2 people, even if the firm looks like a place I'd really love to work. At the same time, it's obvious these offices are interested in students at my school, as they are coming a long way to conduct interviews here, and some of these firms look appealing. ITE is it worth it to bid at these smaller firms? Thanks
If the firm is in a regional market, the interviewers will be looking for ties to the city (this is true at many NLJ250 firm offices that are not in DC, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, or LA).

if you have ties to the region/market, go for it. If not, you bids may see better use on some V100/NLJ250 NYC firms.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:06 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”