ughhhhh huge mistake

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273328
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 pm

misspelled firm's name on thank you notes.

just suck it up and know i wont be getting an offer... or send some sort of correction email? or killself?

User avatar
ZXCVBNM
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby ZXCVBNM » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:09 pm

that's a good one. i'd ask career services. my two cents is that the firms must have noticed and its best to send a correction email noting that you also noticed. if you say nothing its probably worse. let us know what you do and how it goes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273328
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:12 pm

the crappy part is the incorrect spelling of the firm's name also redirects to the firm's website (so i've never noticed that I've been misspelling the name). i spelled the name wrong in the address too and was hoping they'd bounce back but i guess the emails are redirected too because they all went through... fml.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 pm

"I'd be a good fit here Mr. Dumbass (Dumass)."

"It's pronounced Doo - moss."

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm

To be candid, I'll give it a 50% shot they even notice, so certainly don't draw attention to it.

When I was applying for jobs out of college, I put "SHOOL OF BUSINESS" on my resume. (If you missed the error, read it again.) Nobody *seemed* to notice, and all the firms I interviewed with offered me jobs. I wouldn't have noticed, but several months later, a friend who was emulating my resume caught it.
Last edited by theantiscalia on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby dood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
McBean
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby McBean » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the crappy part is the incorrect spelling of the firm's name also redirects to the firm's website (so i've never noticed that I've been misspelling the name). i spelled the name wrong in the address too and was hoping they'd bounce back but i guess the emails are redirected too because they all went through... fml.



You spelled it wrong in the email address and somehow it still went through? That doesn't really seem possible.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 pm

McBean wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the crappy part is the incorrect spelling of the firm's name also redirects to the firm's website (so i've never noticed that I've been misspelling the name). i spelled the name wrong in the address too and was hoping they'd bounce back but i guess the emails are redirected too because they all went through... fml.



You spelled it wrong in the email address and somehow it still went through? That doesn't really seem possible.

It does if they bought up all the misspelled domains and set them up to redirect (a smart move for an industry that deals in information).

ak362
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby ak362 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:54 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
McBean wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the crappy part is the incorrect spelling of the firm's name also redirects to the firm's website (so i've never noticed that I've been misspelling the name). i spelled the name wrong in the address too and was hoping they'd bounce back but i guess the emails are redirected too because they all went through... fml.



You spelled it wrong in the email address and somehow it still went through? That doesn't really seem possible.

It does if they bought up all the misspelled domains and set them up to redirect (a smart move for an industry that deals in information).


Usually, folks don't bother changing out the MX DNS record, though. (Saying this as a general rule, not to law firms in particular.)
Last edited by ak362 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I've got the kind of name that people misspell all the time. I'm so used to it being misspelled it doesn't even bother me. Anyone that has the same problem should generally be understanding about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273328
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:55 pm

dood wrote:I misspelled the judge I worked for name. Well technically spellcheck incorrectly auto "corrected" it. but yeah, i still got a job. he called me out on it too - "son, im going to offer you an internship but just so you know you misspelled my name."

i would leave it be unless it is blatant, for the reason mentioned above...50% chance they wont even notice, then another 50% they wont care, so really u only lowered ur offer chances by 25%, while if u email them again and draw attention to it, u for sure dropped it to 50%, possibly 75%


lolz nice.

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Black-Blue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm

IMO, there's only a 30% chance that they would notice. If I were the interviewer, and the subject line says "thank you for the interview," I wouldn't bother reading it. However, there are some people who read everything (and might even reply to you on their cell phone), and I've seen that sometimes.

If they notice it, I'd say 83% chance they would care.

So I still agree with the conclusion above that you're 25% (in probability) of being affected.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Black-Blue wrote:IMO, there's only a 30% chance that they would notice. If I were the interviewer, and the subject line says "thank you for the interview," I wouldn't bother reading it. However, there are some people who read everything (and might even reply to you on their cell phone), and I've seen that sometimes.

If they notice it, I'd say 83% chance they would care.

So I still agree with the conclusion above that you're 25% (in probability) of being affected.

Way to game your estimates to make the probability come out even.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:49 pm

It's usually okay if the misspelling involved substituting a dollar sign ($) for an "S".

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:53 pm

For the record, this is a good reason not to send thank you notes. Much more likely to hurt than help.
Last edited by 270910 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ak362
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby ak362 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:58 pm

disco_barred wrote:For the record, this is a good reason to send thank you notes. Much more likely to hurt than help.


I'm confused. Do you mean we should send written thank you notes versus e-mailed ones?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm

ak362 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:For the record, this is a good reason to send thank you notes. Much more likely to hurt than help.


I'm confused. Do you mean we should send written thank you notes versus e-mailed ones?


I forgot the word 'not' - prior post edited.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 pm

This is funny timing. Betasteve and I were talking the other day and he said "Don't send TY notes. They won't help, and they can hurt you." I thought he was being ridiculous. How could a polite note expressing your appreciation for someone's time hurt you?

So here is my official public statement: Betasteve, you were right, and I was wrong.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby bwv812 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:23 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby johndoe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm guessing the firm in question is Simpson Thacher (misspelled as Simpson Thatcher).

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby wiseowl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:52 pm

johndoe wrote:I'm guessing the firm in question is Simpson Thacher (misspelled as Simpson Thatcher).


this was immediately my thought as well, although simpsonthatcher.com doesnt redirect.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273328
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 pm

if they want you it won't matter.

i misspelled a word in my cover letter which was a pretty funny mistake (think: "pubic service") and the chair of the hiring committee called me out on it, we laughed, and then he gave me an offer.

IMO it won't hurt you as much as you think.

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby Black-Blue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:05 pm

If your employer welcomed the fact that you will dedicate yourself to "pubic service," you should be concerned.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Black-Blue wrote:If your employer welcomed the fact that you will dedicate yourself to "pubic service," you should be concerned.


:lol: 180

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: ughhhhh huge mistake

Postby TigerBeer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Black-Blue wrote:If your employer welcomed the fact that you will dedicate yourself to "pubic service," you should be concerned.


I thought that was an unspoken expectation from every employer :|




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.