short term big law not ideal for long-term big law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

short term big law not ideal for long-term big law?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

anon bec. interviewing w/ big law

my theory is that responsibility, not billable hours, translates into a better litigator/trial lawyer.

no student loan debts here - considering doing ADA for 2-3 years - then big law - just to have the preparatory experience of having done a lot of things that nobody in big law in their first 2-3 years will ever do

theory is: big law has luxury of staffing each case with a half dozen recently minted grads, giant hierarchy (first-chair, partner, senior assoc, 4 junior assoc, 2L clerk) - therefore first 2-3 years in big law spent making too much money, working too many hours, but basically being "flat" on the attorney-skillset scale

My question: is the above career suicide?

PS - want to first chair big-time trials when I'm old+gray

Bosque

Gold

Re: short term big law not ideal for long-term big law?

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Lol wut.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm not the resident expert, but my understanding is that it would be very difficult to move from ADA --> biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:37 pm

seespotrun wrote:I'm not the resident expert, but my understanding is that it would be very difficult to move from ADA --> biglaw.
Is that what he was asking? It was so rambling and poorly writen, I couldn't figure it out (or rather, couldn't be bothered to figure it out).

I think it depends on what you would be doing in Big Law and what DA's office you worked for. I would imagine that if you were trying to do white colar criminal defense work after a stint in the Manhattan DA's office, hiring would be a different animal than if you were going to try and get into, say, employment law after working in the DA's office of Chattanooga, Tennessee. From what I understand usually people are trying to go the otherway around.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Frickin anonymous button. That was me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Bosque wrote:Frickin anonymous button. That was me.
Lol. Yea I think he was trying to say something like, "I want to be a player in a biglaw litigation department. I'm thinking that ADA-->Biglaw = models and bottles. AMIRITE??"

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Doesn't big law generally want their senior associates trained the big law way? Also, isn't it more important to big law in the long term to have corporate client building skills, than to be a great trial lawyer?

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Doesn't big law generally want their senior associates trained the big law way? Also, isn't it more important to big law in the long term to have corporate client building skills, than to be a great trial lawyer?

Ya. You will not go from ADA to biglaw. The training is completely different. Biglaw requires a lot of research and writing and criminal work requires very little. The only exception would be for stuff like Manhattan DA to white collar defense of something similar.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi, I am unlearned. What is AUSA?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Regardless of all the good practical reasoning given already, I'm floored by the arrogance of thinking that you know better than the firm how you should be trained to work...in the firm!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:48 am

and if we are talking nyc, then all AUSAs worked at biglaw already so...yeah
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 am

dood wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Doesn't big law generally want their senior associates trained the big law way? Also, isn't it more important to big law in the long term to have corporate client building skills, than to be a great trial lawyer?

Ya. You will not go from ADA to biglaw. The training is completely different. Biglaw requires a lot of research and writing and criminal work requires very little. The only exception would be for stuff like Manhattan DA to white collar defense of something similar.
wut? it is common knowledge AUSA write the best briefs. and fuck common knowledge, im telling u from personal experience reading every kind of brief from big law, small one man shops, AUSA, and pro se prisoners. AUSA will write a winner in 1/2 the length as anyone else. shit, im so happy when i see appellee AUSA...i know i can just paraphrase their brief for my proposed opinion. true story from my time in the CoA.

dunno ADA to biglaw, but i dont think "criminal work requires very little [research and writing]"...maybe for most crim lawyers, but id imagine big city DA has to be similar to DOJ / us attorneys in substantive legal anaylsis and writing

EDIT: my bad thats what u said. yeah ok wut u said.
I agree, AUSA is a different beast entirely. Biglaw is definitely on the table then. Even in big city DA, I do not think a lot of ppl jump ship to biglaw (maybe Manhattan, although I doubt it). Most of the work that ADA's do is not research and writing. The majority of criminal law is fairly cut and dry, it is not really a research heavy area of law. I worked in a big city DA this summer (in NY) and the exits options were certainly not biglaw. It was mostly ID firms, PI, criminal defense. Not biglaw shops. Further, the ADA's were not really doing a ton of research.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”