Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Wilson and Sonsini?


yes, email ding (Palo Alto) a couple days after the interview.

so, good news for you!


I wish... I meant NY though. Was the interviewer the same? MF?


nope, different schedule. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:How have people with 3.3-3.4 been doing?


That's the range where personality, target markets, luck with interviewers, work experience, grade trend, and other factors have led to the most variability, based on what I've seen. My guess is that most are at around 6-8 callbacks, including maybe 1-2 at places where they were below informal grade cutoffs. I've definitely heard of people have far fewer and a little more. I'm quite curious about how we not-quite-Stoners will do at the callback stage, especially at our reach firms -- best of luck to us all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How have people with 3.3-3.4 been doing?


That's the range where personality, target markets, luck with interviewers, work experience, grade trend, and other factors have led to the most variability, based on what I've seen. My guess is that most are at around 6-8 callbacks, including maybe 1-2 at places where they were below informal grade cutoffs. I've definitely heard of people have far fewer and a little more. I'm quite curious about how we not-quite-Stoners will do at the callback stage, especially at our reach firms -- best of luck to us all.


That's where I'm at, and I have zero callbacks. This whole thing has gone badly for me and I'm not sure why. I have some work experience, I'm pretty social, and I tried to be energetic in my interviews, but I might as well have stayed home.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How have people with 3.3-3.4 been doing?


That's the range where personality, target markets, luck with interviewers, work experience, grade trend, and other factors have led to the most variability, based on what I've seen. My guess is that most are at around 6-8 callbacks, including maybe 1-2 at places where they were below informal grade cutoffs. I've definitely heard of people have far fewer and a little more. I'm quite curious about how we not-quite-Stoners will do at the callback stage, especially at our reach firms -- best of luck to us all.


That's where I'm at, and I have zero callbacks. This whole thing has gone badly for me and I'm not sure why. I have some work experience, I'm pretty social, and I tried to be energetic in my interviews, but I might as well have stayed home.



Dude, that is too bad. Did you overbid? I have in the 3.1ish range, and I got some CBs....try the resume drop, seriously.


Not sure if I overbid, OCS said my list was fine so I think it was okay on that front. By resume drop you mean on Symplicity? I'm on that, and I'm also sending out a lot of resumes on my own. I'm pretty upset, maybe I'm just not a good interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How have people with 3.3-3.4 been doing?


That's the range where personality, target markets, luck with interviewers, work experience, grade trend, and other factors have led to the most variability, based on what I've seen. My guess is that most are at around 6-8 callbacks, including maybe 1-2 at places where they were below informal grade cutoffs. I've definitely heard of people have far fewer and a little more. I'm quite curious about how we not-quite-Stoners will do at the callback stage, especially at our reach firms -- best of luck to us all.


That's where I'm at, and I have zero callbacks. This whole thing has gone badly for me and I'm not sure why. I have some work experience, I'm pretty social, and I tried to be energetic in my interviews, but I might as well have stayed home.



Dude, that is too bad. Did you overbid? I have in the 3.1ish range, and I got some CBs....try the resume drop, seriously.


This will definitely sound stupid but... these GPA calcs, what scale are people basing them on? I remember my undergraduate GPA changed when it went through whatever formula LSDAS used to standardize numbers across applicants.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:06 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:06 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's where I'm at, and I have zero callbacks. This whole thing has gone badly for me and I'm not sure why. I have some work experience, I'm pretty social, and I tried to be energetic in my interviews, but I might as well have stayed home.


Dude, that is too bad. Did you overbid? I have in the 3.1ish range, and I got some CBs....try the resume drop, seriously.


Not sure if I overbid, OCS said my list was fine so I think it was okay on that front. By resume drop you mean on Symplicity? I'm on that, and I'm also sending out a lot of resumes on my own. I'm pretty upset, maybe I'm just not a good interview.


Are you also sending to firms that already interviewed at EIP, or only to ones that didn't even show up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:31 am

Do law firms ever look at 2L year grades for summers to figure out who gets offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:34 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 am

"Do law firms ever look at 2L year grades for summers to figure out who gets offers?"

lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 am

How do you do the resume drop thing in Symplicity?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you do the resume drop thing in Symplicity?


I know how to do this part (diff poster). Was wondering though, if anyone else is having trouble uploading documents besides transcripts and resumes, like cover letters and writing samples. I have complained to career service a couple times, and the site still doesn't work for me.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:"Do law firms ever look at 2L year grades for summers to figure out who gets offers?"

lol


Not sure why you are "lol"-ing, but a significant drop in 2L is certainly enough to raise a red flag, and if a firm is even close to "on the fence" about giving you an offer, yes, they matter.

They also mattered a whole lot last year, when offer rates were close to 75% at a lot of firms. Hopefully, we don't get back to that stage.

Plus, they matter a lot for 3L OCI - which isn't as dead as a lot of people think it is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

Has anyone been dinged at Debevoise? (Trying to know if I should read into the silent treatment they have been giving me) ;-)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am

Bump on whether anyone's heard from Herbert Smith?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"Do law firms ever look at 2L year grades for summers to figure out who gets offers?"

lol


Not sure why you are "lol"-ing, but a significant drop in 2L is certainly enough to raise a red flag, and if a firm is even close to "on the fence" about giving you an offer, yes, they matter.

They also mattered a whole lot last year, when offer rates were close to 75% at a lot of firms. Hopefully, we don't get back to that stage.

Plus, they matter a lot for 3L OCI - which isn't as dead as a lot of people think it is.


LOL ok keep gunning friend

As a non-sarcastic response, a lot of firms don't even request 2L transcripts. 99% of the criteria is how you perform during the summer and whether you are a turd at social events

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's where I'm at, and I have zero callbacks. This whole thing has gone badly for me and I'm not sure why. I have some work experience, I'm pretty social, and I tried to be energetic in my interviews, but I might as well have stayed home.


Dude, that is too bad. Did you overbid? I have in the 3.1ish range, and I got some CBs....try the resume drop, seriously.


Not sure if I overbid, OCS said my list was fine so I think it was okay on that front. By resume drop you mean on Symplicity? I'm on that, and I'm also sending out a lot of resumes on my own. I'm pretty upset, maybe I'm just not a good interview.


Are you also sending to firms that already interviewed at EIP, or only to ones that didn't even show up?


Been going with ones that didn't interview at EIP, do you think it makes sense to drop for ones that did conduct interviews as well?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 am

Can you do a resume drop on symplicity or do you have to go through the firm's website?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are you also sending to firms that already interviewed at EIP, or only to ones that didn't even show up?


Been going with ones that didn't interview at EIP, do you think it makes sense to drop for ones that did conduct interviews as well?


Probably not, but I don't think it could hurt to send them to firms that you didn't interview with and didn't have hospitality suites (so you didn't really have an opportunity to drop off a resume).

Btw, other than Cravath - has anyone heard anything at all in response to dropping off a resume at a hospitality suite?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been dinged at Debevoise? (Trying to know if I should read into the silent treatment they have been giving me) ;-)



+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Yup...i got the Debevoise ding letter 3 days after I think. I'd be cautiously optimistic if I were you. Maybe "hold" piles do exist.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yup...i got the Debevoise ding letter 3 days after I think. I'd be cautiously optimistic if I were you. Maybe "hold" piles do exist.


Thanks. Are you the only one? Perhaps your interviewer was a jerk or NYU grad ;-) ?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.