Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Rumor of a Covington DC callback. Also, the above lists Jones Day as having given callbacks, but has anyone heard from their DC office? I'm splitting DC/NY and have only heard from their NY office- the same applies for A&P. Anyone have news?

And this flame war has been rediculous. It is clearly easier to get good grades at a T20 than at CLS, but those people still would likely have done well at Columbia. Those schools hav plenty of smart people. And yes, transfers likely take some jobs, and that sucks. But the difference is marginal and the chances that you would have received an offer if not for transfers is small. BTW, I'm a non-transfer.

Edit: And even if you think transfers are the worst thing ever, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rumor of a Covington DC callback. Also, the above lists Jones Day as having given callbacks, but has anyone heard from their DC office? I'm splitting DC/NY and have only heard from their NY office- the same applies for A&P. Anyone have news?

And this flame war has been rediculous. It is clearly easier to get good grades at a T20 than at CLS, but those people still would likely have done well at Columbia. Those schools hav plenty of smart people. And yes, transfers likely take some jobs, and that sucks. But the difference is marginal and the chances that you would have received an offer if not for transfers is small. BTW, I'm a non-transfer.

Edit: And even if you think transfers are the worst thing ever, don't hate the player, hate the game.

I think you are still not comprehending the issue. The hatred is directed toward CLS admin because they *increased* the number of transfers by 33% (from 60 to 80) during the worst recession since World War II. Thanks CLS!

The reason this descended into a flame war is because the transfer posting here is a dickhead with a chip on his shoulder.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for wiping away your tears, non-transfers. Can't wait to meet you all in class.

Nobody likes transfers with a chip on their shoulder. Tone it down a little.

Shocking that the welcome we're getting in this thread might result in a chip on the shoulder.

Being a chill dude will make CLS people like you regardless of your transfer status.

Having a chip on your shoulder will only result in making people dislike you. You might want to check your attitude at the door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for wiping away your tears, non-transfers. Can't wait to meet you all in class.

Nobody likes transfers with a chip on their shoulder. Tone it down a little.

Shocking that the welcome we're getting in this thread might result in a chip on the shoulder.

Being a chill dude will make CLS people like you regardless of your transfer status.

Having a chip on your shoulder will only result in making people dislike you. You might want to check your attitude at the door.

Didn't come here to make friends. Came here to dominate you at EIP. Succeeding.

Postby 12262010 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Didn't come here to make friends. Came here to dominate you at EIP. Succeeding.

you're either a troll or you'll be outed sooner or later, since I'm sure you're telling everyone about your "15 CBs."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Didn't come here to make friends. Came here to dominate you at EIP. Succeeding.

tyft. i almost bought this flame. you got greedy with the 15 cb's part though

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:56 pm

I am top 10%. I actually have 15 callbacks and a V5 offer already. I am not posting anonymously because I have nothing to hide.

I give transfers props - they played a very dangerous game and they won. For the most part, they are a smart bunch who deserve every opportunity that they find through CLS. But:

1. Don't blame me for disliking self-righteous douchebags who have the gull to insult below-median students without having experienced the ridiculous competition that was the 1L year here; And

2. Clearly, the administration has nothing but utter contempt for us - I can't help but reciprocate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Unemployed wrote:I am top 10%. I actually have 15 callbacks and a V5 offer already. I am not posting anonymously because I have nothing to hide.

I give transfers props - they played a very dangerous game and they won. For the most part, they are a smart bunch who deserve every opportunity that they find through CLS. But:

1. Don't blame me for disliking self-righteous douchebags who have the gull to insult below-median students without having experienced the ridiculous competition that was the 1L year here; And

2. Clearly, the administration has nothing but utter contempt for us - I can't help but reciprocate.

this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Ok now going back on track...

For those with CBs from A&O, was the interviewer MG?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:08 pm

1) The reason the transfers tend to graduate near the top of the class is because the upper-level curves are much more manageable. Lectures are curved to a B+ and seminars to an A-. So coming in and starting classes without the first year curve on a transcript tends to make one's gpa a bit prettier.

2) Forget about the transfers. It's the LLMs I can't fucking stand.

3) Has anyone heard from MTO/Irell/HayBoo?

4) Instead of yelling at each other, we should really just go fuck with the minds of the paranoid 1Ls. zOMG what am I supposed to wear to ORIENTATION?!?!?!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Unemployed wrote:I am top 10%. I actually have 15 callbacks and a V5 offer already. I am not posting anonymously because I have nothing to hide.

15? Are you LR as well? Applying to NY mkt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok now going back on track...

A&O - I had MG, dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Is there something on lawnet or somewhere on the Columbia website where you can read professor evaluations, grading curves, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there something on lawnet or somewhere on the Columbia website where you can read professor evaluations, grading curves, etc.?

For course evals, go to lawnet > General > Course Evaluation Reports

For the curve, go to lawnet > Student Services > Check Grades > Submit Report (the curve is a link under the grade sheet).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

A&O - I had MG, dinged.

Sorry to hear this. And this was via email, and when?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4) Instead of yelling at each other, we should really just go fuck with the minds of the paranoid 1Ls. zOMG what am I supposed to wear to ORIENTATION?!?!?!

+1. Those were the days....

I really want to tell the 1Ls that they should stop worrying about Legal Methods. But then again, they would not listen, just as I never did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A&O - I had MG, dinged.

Sorry to hear this. And this was via email, and when?

Thanks, I appreciate that. Wednesday - they didn't waste any time...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread makes me feel a little bit embarassed to be a Columbia student. Imagine how we must look to an outsider, complaining about the shortage of 160K jobs and being rude to eachother as a way to vent our frustration. There's no point in trying to blame anyone for this, especially people who are now our classmates and who are going to be working with us. No one is entitled to anything just because of grades, not being a transfer, being a great transfer, or whatever. It's in the hands of employers and the economy and that isn't the fault of any transfer. Some will get jobs and some will have to work harder to find one and some may not end up with exactly what they want. Is it really worth fighting about or blaming our classmates? We don't even know why things are happening the way they are, we're just speculating.

FWIW, this is coming from someone who did not do well at EIP, who has a very low number callbacks (and had 0 throughout the actual process), and who experienced a lot of stress and disappointment throughout, so I'm not just saying this because I feel like I'm set and I don't care. I just think that there are better ways to deal with frustration. I also think that this isn't a huge tragedy. We're all very lucky to be 1000% more hirable than most of the population out there our age, and I don't think we should make a bad name for ourselves.

I agree with everyone who thinks the thread should get back on track.

I do admire your attitude and you seem like a very nice person, but perhaps you don't realize the gravity of the situation if you think that we're fighting about the "shortage of 160K jobs." As the current 3Ls (half of whom are still looking for jobs) can tell you, it's not a matter of missing out on a job that pays 160K - if you miss the biglaw boat, then you're scrambling JUST FOR A JOB, and fighting tooth and nails with half of your classmates for a job that pays 50K, and there's probably a good chance you graduate unemployed. (Partly because CLS is so biglaw-oriented and OCS has no idea how to find non-biglaw opportunities for CLS students).

Sorry to be depressing, but that's just the reality of the situation. This year will probably be much better than it was for those poor 3Ls, but it's still important to remember that it's not just a matter of not finding a 160K job that we're talking about here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:37 pm

deleted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of my got a Cravath CB today.

How is 5 CBs? Is that fairly average? I'm just curious because that is what I managed to pull.

On the same boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A friend of my got a Cravath CB today.

How is 5 CBs? Is that fairly average? I'm just curious because that is what I managed to pull.

On the same boat.

With Cravath or # of CBs?

#

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 am

For whomever asked about Patton Boggs about 5 pages ago, I got a callback from them last Thursday.

Snail mail rejections from Akin and Duane Morris.

Return to “Legal Employment”