Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyway we can get this thread back on track?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the "transfer" claiming he/she has 15 CBs is actually the same person as the poster who seems to insist on calling students at other law schools "retards". None of this is productive, to say the least.

In any case, back on point, I know that Gibson Dunn has sent out dings via snail mail.

it is, however, lulzy

are you referring to gibson dunn ny?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyway we can get this thread back on track?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the "transfer" claiming he/she has 15 CBs is actually the same person as the poster who seems to insist on calling students at other law schools "retards". None of this is productive, to say the least.

In any case, back on point, I know that Gibson Dunn has sent out dings via snail mail.

it is, however, lulzy

are you referring to gibson dunn ny?

I'm the transfer with 15. Yes, Gibson Dunn NY sent out rejections. I got one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Columbia student/non-transfer here.

For real? Everyone stop. This is what it is. Students yelling at transfers (looking at you, "TTT20" person)? This is useless. Transfers yelling at students (and I'm looking at you, 15-callbacks-and-hates-affirmative-action-guy)? Also useless. And you both sound equally douchey.

The tension is high right now because we're all scrambling for jobs. But we're going to be classmates next year. This thread was very useful before the transfer fight. Now I'm just disgusted by the behavior on both sides. If you're that riled up about this topic, start a new thread, please.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations on doing only slightly better than half of your classmates. I am happy to be "affecting" you.

better than half of a group of smart people, as opposed to pwning stupid people? yes, i'm proud of that

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations on doing only slightly better than half of your classmates. I am happy to be "affecting" you.

better than half of a group of smart people, as opposed to pwning stupid people? yes, i'm proud of that

You honestly think that answering two more questions correctly on the LSAT than my classmates makes you "smart" and them "stupid"? Hi, ridiculous-sense-of-entitlement. And you wonder why employers think that you're trash.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You honestly think that answering two more questions correctly on the LSAT than my classmates makes you "smart" and them "stupid"? Hi, ridiculous-sense-of-entitlement. And you wonder why employers think that you're trash.

Again - please take this elsewhere.

Did anyone who has heard from Milbank interview with RW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 pm

This thread makes me feel a little bit embarassed to be a Columbia student. Imagine how we must look to an outsider, complaining about the shortage of 160K jobs and being rude to eachother as a way to vent our frustration. There's no point in trying to blame anyone for this, especially people who are now our classmates and who are going to be working with us. No one is entitled to anything just because of grades, not being a transfer, being a great transfer, or whatever. It's in the hands of employers and the economy and that isn't the fault of any transfer. Some will get jobs and some will have to work harder to find one and some may not end up with exactly what they want. Is it really worth fighting about or blaming our classmates? We don't even know why things are happening the way they are, we're just speculating.

FWIW, this is coming from someone who did not do well at EIP, who has a very low number callbacks (and had 0 throughout the actual process), and who experienced a lot of stress and disappointment throughout, so I'm not just saying this because I feel like I'm set and I don't care. I just think that there are better ways to deal with frustration. I also think that this isn't a huge tragedy. We're all very lucky to be 1000% more hirable than most of the population out there our age, and I don't think we should make a bad name for ourselves.

I agree with everyone who thinks the thread should get back on track.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i'm pretty sure it's a little more than "two questions" buddy. but don't worry, you'll wash the shitstain school off your resume one day

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread makes me feel a little bit embarassed to be a Columbia student. Imagine how we must look to an outsider, complaining about the shortage of 160K jobs and being rude to eachother as a way to vent our frustration. There's no point in trying to blame anyone for this, especially people who are now our classmates and who are going to be working with us. No one is entitled to anything just because of grades, not being a transfer, being a great transfer, or whatever. It's in the hands of employers and the economy and that isn't the fault of any transfer. Some will get jobs and some will have to work harder to find one and some may not end up with exactly what they want. Is it really worth fighting about or blaming our classmates? We don't even know why things are happening the way they are, we're just speculating.

FWIW, this is coming from someone who did not do well at EIP, who has a very low number callbacks (and had 0 throughout the actual process), and who experienced a lot of stress and disappointment throughout, so I'm not just saying this because I feel like I'm set and I don't care. I just think that there are better ways to deal with frustration. I also think that this isn't a huge tragedy. We're all very lucky to be 1000% more hirable than most of the population out there our age, and I don't think we should make a bad name for ourselves.

If you feel this way, it is because you have not seen the plight of the current 3Ls. It is extremely, ridiculously difficult to get a decent paying job (i.e. more than 40k, or what you could have gotten had you not gone to law school) in this economy. People are fighting tooth and nail for public interest gigs. It's truly ridiculous.

You will be mighty concerned when you come up empty-handed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i'm pretty sure it's a little more than "two questions" buddy. but don't worry, you'll wash the shitstain school off your resume one day

Please get back in touch with me later to let me know how your personal injury work is coming along.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Would someone like to start a fresh thread, including a recap of all the callbacks/confirms, etc, so its continuous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Employers must be looking at you and wondering: why did this guy not take a full-tuition scholarship at a "shistain school" and then transfer to Columbia afterwards? Obviously he'd "pwn" all those "stupid people!" Clearly your judgment is lacking. Really? Why not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm about as pissed at transfers as I am at the Stone Scholars bidding on lower-ranked firms as safeties and taking callbacks from medianish students, which is not at all. They're just making the smart move under the circumstances. I'll admit I don't shy away from asking the "why did you transfer" question because I honestly want to know- I made the decision not to transfer from my mediocre undergrad to a higher ranked one and I wonder why one would transfer, given that a lot of transfers seem to have come from very good schools (maybe giving up money to come here?).

The one transfer in this thread making waves needs to understand, though, that there are very few people here at CLS who don't work as hard as they did to get here. I haven't met a single person who thought they could skate by last year. That may have been true for c/o 2011, but c/o 2012 was on notice and that was reflected in the intensity level here.

I am very pissed at OCS for not making enough information known to us to better plan our bid lists, and the school in general for taking such a "grades don't matter, you're at CLS" attitude that they know (or should have known) isn't the way things work in the real world. And in general, the "sink or swim" mentality taken by faculty and administrators towards law students really contrasts with the social and political views of the school at large, a phenomenon I find very interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Non-transfer CLS here at median, but doing just fine at callbacks. I've met a few of the new transfer students and honestly y'all seem great. I don't think this is an appropriate thread for this discussion and I also think the job issue is a pretty weak one (though I do think transfers should still do EIP at their former school, but that's a different story). My bigger problem with the increase in the number of transfers is class size. Classes are already too big and impersonal; this just makes it worse. The truth is that success at any school is no guarantee of success at another because the simple fact is that success is pretty damn random. I suspect if people were randomly assigned to different sections the grading curve would look incredibly different.

Look assuredly there'd still be some people who would still do great and some who would have still done poorly. However, for the most part a single grade on seven exams is a total crapshoot. One of the smartest people I've met at CLS apparently has totally median grades and a few of the dumbest are high-Stone/Kent. Either way, we need to stop trying to blame people and just work to find the best solutions we can, because CLS is not going to change, law firms aren't going to change and 1L grades are not going to change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The one transfer in this thread making waves needs to understand, though, that there are very few people here at CLS who don't work as hard as they did to get here. I haven't met a single person who thought they could skate by last year. That may have been true for c/o 2011, but c/o 2012 was on notice and that was reflected in the intensity level here.

Working hard is only one part of it. Sure, I've worked incredibly hard as a transfer, and many non-transfers have worked hard too. But hard work isn't everything. It's also ability. I'm just better at the law than a lot of the angry, mediocre non-transfer students. They can't handle that so they're crying about how their LSAT should score should entitle them to a job. It's just embarrassing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This thread makes me feel a little bit embarassed to be a Columbia student. Imagine how we must look to an outsider, complaining about the shortage of 160K jobs and being rude to eachother as a way to vent our frustration. There's no point in trying to blame anyone for this, especially people who are now our classmates and who are going to be working with us. No one is entitled to anything just because of grades, not being a transfer, being a great transfer, or whatever. It's in the hands of employers and the economy and that isn't the fault of any transfer. Some will get jobs and some will have to work harder to find one and some may not end up with exactly what they want. Is it really worth fighting about or blaming our classmates? We don't even know why things are happening the way they are, we're just speculating.

If you feel this way, it is because you have not seen the plight of the current 3Ls. It is extremely, ridiculously difficult to get a decent paying job (i.e. more than 40k, or what you could have gotten had you not gone to law school) in this economy. People are fighting tooth and nail for public interest gigs. It's truly ridiculous.

You will be mighty concerned when you come up empty-handed.

I'm super concerned and stressed about paying my loans, but being mean does not make it easier to find a job. In fact, one friendly relationship can be the thing that gets you a job. It is worth it to be nice, even if you're fighting for 40K jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The one transfer in this thread making waves needs to understand, though, that there are very few people here at CLS who don't work as hard as they did to get here. I haven't met a single person who thought they could skate by last year. That may have been true for c/o 2011, but c/o 2012 was on notice and that was reflected in the intensity level here.

Working hard is only one part of it. Sure, I've worked incredibly hard as a transfer, and many non-transfers have worked hard too. But hard work isn't everything. It's also ability. I'm just better at the law than a lot of the angry, mediocre non-transfer students. They can't handle that so they're crying about how their LSAT should score should entitle them to a job. It's just embarrassing.

I'm a transfer and I don't think you can make the conclusion that you are "better than law" (even though you might be) because comparing grades across schools of different levels is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not a CLS student nor am I a transfer but this quote is fucking precious. You are a *treasure*.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a transfer and I don't think you can make the conclusion that you are "better than law" (even though you might be) because comparing grades across schools of different levels is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Comparing grades in a single school across sections is also not apples-to-apples. There is little reason to think that comparing grades Columbia-section-A vs. Columbia-section-B is more than marginally a closer comparison than Columbia vs. T20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:26 pm

^ Not a CLS student nor transfer, but wanted to comment that most T-14s have much more lenient curves for upper divs than 1L courses. The difference in the GPA between the 1L courses and upper divs, including seminars and clinics, at my T-14 is about 0.35.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:34 pm

List Updated (Flame War Version):

Callbacks: Latham (NY/HOU), *MoFo (NY/SF), Akin Gump, *Debevoise, *Wachtell, *Skadden (NY), *Hughes Hubbard, *Paul Hastings, *Schulte Roth, Goodwin Procter, Cleary, *Ropes (NY), *Simpson Thatcher, Fried Frank, *Davis Polk, *Jones Day, Sullivan and Cromwell, *Milbank, *Wilmer (NY), *Linklaters, *Kaye Scholer, *Greenberg Traurig, Patterson Belknap, *Covington (NY), Reed Smith, *Bingham (NY), Dechert, *Weil Gotshal, Mayer Brown, Cooley, Gibson (NY), *Vinson Elkins, Baker Botts (TX), *Paul Weiss, Baker Hostedtler, *Proskauer (NY), Robins Kaplan, Orrick (NY), *Stroock (NY), Shearman, *Kirkland (NY), *Willkie Farr, *Freshfields, Allen and Overy, *Katten Munchin, *Arnold & Porter (NY), *Dewey, Boies (Corp), *Cravath, Cahill, White & Case (LA), Gibson (NY), *Troutman Sanders, Quinn (SF), *Winston & Strawn (NY), *Chadbourne & Parke, Cadwalader, Bryan Cave, McKinsey, Gibson Dunn (DC), Kramer Levin, Sidley Austin, Quinn Emmanuel (NY), Jones Day (TX)

Rejections: *Kramer Levin, Crowell & Mooring, Chadbourne, Latham (SF), White & Case (Miami), *Hughes Hubbard, Wilmer (NY.DC), Cleary (DC), Linklaters, Bingham (BOS/NY), Brown Rudnick, Katten Munchin, Schulte Roth, *Kaye Scholer, *Clifford Chance, *Fried Frank (NY/DC), *Cleary, Simpson Thatcher, *White & Case (DC/NYC), Fried Frank (DC), *O'Melveny & [deleted], Skadden (NY), Covington (NY), *Patterson Belknap, Cooley, Goodwin Procter, Cooley, Dickstein, Orrick (NY/SF), Shearman (NY), Akin Gump, Arnold & Porter (SF), Davis Polk (NY/Menlo), Jones Day (NY), Cravath, Bracewell & Giuliani, O'Melveny (Cent. City), Paul Hastings, Paul Weiss

If you're waiting on a firm on both these lists, either (1) it's in the mail/on the interviewer's to do list, (2) you are on a hold list, (3) your specific interviewer is traveling/busy or hasn't gotten to the files.

* = confirmed/corroborated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Thank you for the updated list

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks for wiping away your tears, non-transfers. Can't wait to meet you all in class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for wiping away your tears, non-transfers. Can't wait to meet you all in class.

Nobody likes transfers with a chip on their shoulder. Tone it down a little.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for wiping away your tears, non-transfers. Can't wait to meet you all in class.

Nobody likes transfers with a chip on their shoulder. Tone it down a little.

Shocking that the welcome we're getting in this thread might result in a chip on the shoulder.

Return to “Legal Employment”