Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Yes, the 16th and I got the letter today.

I forget the initials - they were two women though, one associate and one partner. I thought it went really well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Bracewell snailmail ding. Blurgh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't know to calculate it, and I wouldn't do it even if I did. It is, at best, very low.

What is wrong with me (or my bid list) that I’ve heard from about 11 or 12 firms now, and all have been rejections? (Yes, my GPA is “very low” as well.) I must be really terrible at interviews.

Congrats on having so many callbacks though! That’s awesome.

I'm sorry to hear that it's not going as well as you'd like it to. If it's any help at all, I bid on firms with a vault range from 3-100. The 11 I've heard from are from all over that range. I've gotten callbacks from firms well over my transcript, and rejections from firms I thought I had a shot at (even with my transcript). If I may be so bold as to say why there have been a fair number of callbacks: where others are good in the classroom, I am good on the spot in an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear that it's not going as well as you'd like it to. If it's any help at all, I bid on firms with a vault range from 3-100. The 11 I've heard from are from all over that range. I've gotten callbacks from firms well over my transcript, and rejections from firms I thought I had a shot at (even with my transcript). If I may be so bold as to say why there have been a fair number of callbacks: where others are good in the classroom, I am good on the spot in an interview.

That’s good to hear. Even though I haven’t gotten callbacks yet, I’m glad I interviewed with firms I was actually interested in from a large range as well. (Not that I think I bid poorly: I would say that only 3 were inappropriately out of my league.) And if/when something pulls through, I’ll legitimately be excited about it.

Congrats again on your EIP successes so far!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:39 pm

O'melv century city email ding.

My time has been horrible. At like 13 or so dings, no callbacks. Worse was the Orrick ding over the phone. That had to be the most evil thing ever. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My gpa is around median. I even asked the Orrick person for some advice/pointers, and all I got was the general feeling that I was overall inferior to all other candidates. So have no idea what the hell is going on, and the stress has become deadly. Very concerned what this will mean as continue to look for jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:O'melv century city email ding.

My time has been horrible. At like 13 or so dings, no callbacks. Worse was the Orrick ding over the phone. That had to be the most evil thing ever. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My gpa is around median. I even asked the Orrick person for some advice/pointers, and all I got was the general feeling that I was overall inferior to all other candidates. So have no idea what the hell is going on, and the stress has become deadly. Very concerned what this will mean as continue to look for jobs.

Sorry to hear about that. I can't even imagine why they would call to reject somebody. Way to get someone's hopes up...

Was the Orrick call from one of the California offices, or their NY office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry to hear about that. I can't even imagine why they would call to reject somebody. Way to get someone's hopes up...

Was the Orrick call from one of the California offices, or their NY office?

SF, was the one who posted earlier in the thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many firms don't send anything at all if they reject you?

I haven't heard from the vast majority of mine

"Haven't heard from" as in....

1. Nobody has heard anything either way
2. Others have received CB, but not you; nobody has received dings
3. Others have received CB, some have received dings, and you have received nothing

I'm referring to one and two obviously, but mainly two. How could I be asking about three?

My no-news firms have mostly been two and three, actually.
I'm not sure if 3 means it's a hold, or if my interviewer hasn't yet made his decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:24 am

For the lucky ones who received CB from Milbank...

Was the interviewer DW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:57 am

My interviewer was not DW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Was it RB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My interviewer was not DW.

Thanks, and congrats on the CB!

Haven't heard of any Milbank dings either, so the waiting game continues.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Just got OMM Century City email ding too. Shearman and Sterling snail mail ding earlier. Also A&P SF email ding. I'm below median GPA, but I really thought the OMM interview went great--best interview I had, I'd say. So I'm pretty depressed. I also have 13 dings (including a couple from an outside job fair in CA) and nothing positive so I feel your pain--though the Orrick phone ding is cruel, I can't imagine how terrible that must be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Did 70% of columbia students really get jobs through EIP last year?? It seems at though there's a few people with a ton of callbacks and a lot with 0-2. Also - any news from any of the other Dewey partners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did 70% of columbia students really get jobs through EIP last year?? It seems at though there's a few people with a ton of callbacks and a lot with 0-2. Also - any news from any of the other Dewey partners?

Just to recap, which partner(s?) from Dewey has made CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:56 pm

"Did 70% of columbia students really get jobs through EIP last year?? It seems at though there's a few people with a ton of callbacks and a lot with 0-2. Also - any news from any of the other Dewey partners?"

That 70% number is BS. There were 266 offers accepted according to last year's data. That would mean that only 380 people did EIP. However, the class of 2011 has 473 people. I'm guessing the number that participated in EIP was well over 400, maybe up to 450. People were very scared about getting jobs at that point.

I'm guessing the actual percentage was something like 55-60%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just got OMM Century City email ding too. Shearman and Sterling snail mail ding earlier. Also A&P SF email ding. I'm below median GPA, but I really thought the OMM interview went great--best interview I had, I'd say. So I'm pretty depressed. I also have 13 dings (including a couple from an outside job fair in CA) and nothing positive so I feel your pain--though the Orrick phone ding is cruel, I can't imagine how terrible that must be.

I'm really sorry to hear this, and +1 on the awfulness of Orrick SF call, as someone else who got it yesterday. (Not getting OMM after a great interview does suck, but it's a huge longshot for them to reach below median.) Based on anecdotal evidence and my own experience, San Francisco & LA have been really tough, and grades have been highly significant, if not determinative -- there has been a lot of randomness in terms of getting callbacks from reaches and dings from targets (I'd argue there are no safeties in markets that have to fly you out for callbacks. On the other hand, I got a callback Friday evening (yeah, suck it Orrick) from a NorCal office that interviewed all the way back in the first week, so not all hope is lost. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Has anyone heard from Patton Boggs or Holland & Knight? I don't think I've seen anything on them yet, but could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:43 pm

So for those of us who are slightly below median but have received callbacks, should we still be pessimistic about our chances of receiving offers?

I think I'm pretty good at interviewing, and I genuinely enjoyed meeting the attorneys at EIP, so I'm not concerned about etiquette or conversational skills during the callback. I am, however, nervous about getting my hopes up once they compare my transcript to others with CBs. I keep telling myself that they wouldn't waste their time and money on bringing me in if I wasn't a serious candidate, but it's still a bit nerve-wracking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Paul Hastings and Akin Gump dings in the mail today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So for those of us who are slightly below median but have received callbacks, should we still be pessimistic about our chances of receiving offers?

I think I'm pretty good at interviewing, and I genuinely enjoyed meeting the attorneys at EIP, so I'm not concerned about etiquette or conversational skills during the callback. I am, however, nervous about getting my hopes up once they compare my transcript to others with CBs. I keep telling myself that they wouldn't waste their time and money on bringing me in if I wasn't a serious candidate, but it's still a bit nerve-wracking.

depends where you have CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:20 pm

It was not RB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Paul Weis NY, Davis Polk Menlo Park, and Freshfields NY snail mail dings

Puts me at fuckin 16 or so and no CBs. At least didn't get another call like Orrick. So glad to have gone to CLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Stroock, Vedder Price, and Orrick (NY) snailmail dings this week... fml.

Return to “Legal Employment”