Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, there's little chance we'll hear anything over the weekend, correct?


A friend received a Saturday morning call. She won't tell me which firm :roll:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Got a MoFo NY callback this morning, apparently the partner had been traveling. I think there may be no rhyme nor reason to this nonsense.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:21 pm

nonsense is right. this whole thing is a dog and pony show.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 pm

What has Paul Hastings' hiring trend been, in terms of grades?? I received a callback, but my GPA is only around the median, not on CLR, etc. I'm ecstatic to get a CB, but extremely confused and hesitant to get my hopes up. Any others in the same boat?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Paul Hastings isn't exactly grade conscious. Your interview is more important at this point

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Are firms still grade-conscious at the callback stage? At this point, I have two or three callbacks at firms where my grades are probably on the low end.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are firms still grade-conscious at the callback stage? At this point, I have two or three callbacks at firms where my grades are probably on the low end.



There is a thread on this at Autoadmit:

http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... forum_id=2

HTH.


Thank you!

I can confirm Mofo NY, by the way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Hughes Hubbard ding via snail mail.

Edit: report of Debevoise ding via snail mail as well, although I haven't received my rejection yet. :\

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did well and got a lot of callbacks.
None of the interviews I did really stood out; maybe a couple where I made the interviewer laugh a lot or we talked about sort of random topics that weren't related to the law (always a good sign), but in general I feel like everyone has fairly normal conversations with their interviewer. I think grades were the most important factor, because unless someone is super awkward or makes a slip-up like giving a practice area that doesn't exist at the firm or forgetting which city s/he's interviewing for, generally everyone has decent conversations with their interviewers. So, my advice is to bid conservatively and try and add additional interview slots with lower-ranked or less competitive firms if your grades aren't as good; and if your grades are good, just be yourself with more enthusiasm and friendliness.


+1

I am five for thirteen so far. With one freakish exception, I was unable to snag any callback from firms where my grades weren't in the ballpark - including the ones where my grades were probably too high (YP?!). On the other hand, every V10-V30 firm I interviewed with gave me the good news, regardless of how the interviews went.

So... grades, grades, grades.


well - here's hoping that i am the exception. grades ok but resume is strong


I have zero callbacks so far, but only 1 confirmed ding. I'm hoping this is a function of the fact that I didn't apply to any NYC firms and other markets are just slower. Grades are top 15% or so. Edit: and no LR.


Does anyone know with some degree of certainty what the GPAs are for top 10, 15, 20%? 3.41 (Stone) is about top 30 and 3.8 (Kent) is about top 2-3, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know with some degree of certainty what the GPAs are for top 10, 15, 20%? 3.41 (Stone) is about top 30 and 3.8 (Kent) is about top 2-3, right?


I don't know with a "degree of certainty" (or anything close to it), but when I think top 15%, I think ~3.55. I think I got this off an old xoxo or TLS thread. If only I paid more attention in my college statistics class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Does anyone know how the timeline typically works for this process? If we don't have a callback from Debevoise or one of the others that confirmed callbacks can we expect a rejection, or is it possible that we will be called back later?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the timeline typically works for this process? If we don't have a callback from Debevoise or one of the others that confirmed callbacks can we expect a rejection, or is it possible that we will be called back later?


I don't think anyone knows, as evidenced by the last 7 pages of discussion regarding this very question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:16 pm

re: medians and cutoffs... if you plug in the Stone & Kent numbers (and it's not totally accurate since Kent varies and there are some other constraints for both in terms of it not just being straight GPA-based, and the distribution isn't actually normal for various reasons) you get a rough approximation of a median of 3.286, a top 40% of 3.346, a top 25% of 3.446, a top 15% of 3.532, and a top 10% of 3.59... I think this is as well as we can do given the information that they provide.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the timeline typically works for this process? If we don't have a callback from Debevoise or one of the others that confirmed callbacks can we expect a rejection, or is it possible that we will be called back later?


I don't think anyone knows, as evidenced by the last 7 pages of discussion regarding this very question.


Uhhh there's almost no discussion of this, just a series of posts about who got callbacks and where. Thanks for your help...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the timeline typically works for this process? If we don't have a callback from Debevoise or one of the others that confirmed callbacks can we expect a rejection, or is it possible that we will be called back later?


I don't think anyone knows, as evidenced by the last 7 pages of discussion regarding this very question.


Uhhh there's almost no discussion of this, just a series of posts about who got callbacks and where. Thanks for your help...


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126716

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the timeline typically works for this process? If we don't have a callback from Debevoise or one of the others that confirmed callbacks can we expect a rejection, or is it possible that we will be called back later?


I don't think anyone knows, as evidenced by the last 7 pages of discussion regarding this very question.


Uhhh there's almost no discussion of this, just a series of posts about who got callbacks and where. Thanks for your help...


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126716


Thanks, that is legitimately helpful. I've never used this site before, didn't realize what kind of info was lurking around out there. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:re: medians and cutoffs... if you plug in the Stone & Kent numbers (and it's not totally accurate since Kent varies and there are some other constraints for both in terms of it not just being straight GPA-based, and the distribution isn't actually normal for various reasons) you get a rough approximation of a median of 3.286, a top 40% of 3.346, a top 25% of 3.446, a top 15% of 3.532, and a top 10% of 3.59... I think this is as well as we can do given the information that they provide.


I think this is roughly right. The distribution is probably not normal at the low end (i.e., below median) since there's a fat B/B+ curve with few B-s, but I think normal is a pretty good approximation for the top half of the curve.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:47 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:50 pm

An oh-so-quick Hughes Hubbard rejection by mail.

If you haven't heard from a firm that sent out official rejections AND callbacks, is it safe to assume that I'm still in the running? (Sorry but I don't think this is the same question as above)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An oh-so-quick Hughes Hubbard rejection by mail.

If you haven't heard from a firm that sent out official rejections AND callbacks, is it safe to assume that I'm still in the running? (Sorry but I don't think this is the same question as above)


I'm waiting 'til Monday or Tuesday to assume that, since sometimes mail in New York can take a few days and rejections are traditionally sent by snail mail rather than e-mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An oh-so-quick Hughes Hubbard rejection by mail.



GPA range?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:An oh-so-quick Hughes Hubbard rejection by mail.



GPA range?


Lower Stone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:re: medians and cutoffs... if you plug in the Stone & Kent numbers (and it's not totally accurate since Kent varies and there are some other constraints for both in terms of it not just being straight GPA-based, and the distribution isn't actually normal for various reasons) you get a rough approximation of a median of 3.286, a top 40% of 3.346, a top 25% of 3.446, a top 15% of 3.532, and a top 10% of 3.59... I think this is as well as we can do given the information that they provide.


I think this is too generous. Top 10% is probably something closer to 3.65 or so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:15 pm

There is an XOXO post about this, but they were using numbers that were slightly off.

Based on the 1L GPA distribution of c/o 2011
Kent = 3.24%
Kent + Stone = 31.24%

Based on the above information, the normal curve parameters are as follows:
Mean/Median = 3.27
Standard Deviation = 0.287

Top 5%: 3.742
Top 10%: 3.638
Top 15%: 3.567
Top 20%: 3.511
Top 25%: 3.463
Top 30%: 3.420
Top 1/3: 3.39362
Top 35%: 3.381
Top 40%: 3.343
Top 45%: 3.306
Median: 3.270
Top 55%: 3.234
Top 60%: 3.197
Top 2/3: 3.14639
Top 65%: 3.159
Top 70%: 3.119
Top 75%: 3.076

Good luck everyone.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.