Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:01 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:03 pm

I haven't sent many, because I think it would be annoying to have my inbox suddenly flooded with 20 or 30 thank you notes. I have however been very anxious about the "thank you note gap". Is it too late to send them now?! I still remember specific things from the interviews. . .

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't sent many, because I think it would be annoying to have my inbox suddenly flooded with 20 or 30 thank you notes. I have however been very anxious about the "thank you note gap". Is it too late to send them now?! I still remember specific things from the interviews. . .
I don't think it's too late - I thanked my EIP interviewer via email after my callback interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't sent many, because I think it would be annoying to have my inbox suddenly flooded with 20 or 30 thank you notes. I have however been very anxious about the "thank you note gap". Is it too late to send them now?! I still remember specific things from the interviews. . .


If it's been a week, I'd say yes, it's too late. If you interviewed this week, you should be fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 pm

anyone with an offer from akin (ny) ? how long was the gap between interview and offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Is it common to have not heard at all from a couple firms? I still got five firms to hear from.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common to have not heard at all from a couple firms? I still got five firms to hear from.


Still nothing from four.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common to have not heard at all from a couple firms? I still got five firms to hear from.

same

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it common to have not heard at all from a couple firms? I still got five firms to hear from.


seems like Milbank decided it just didn't give a shit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it common to have not heard at all from a couple firms? I still got five firms to hear from.


seems like Milbank decided it just didn't give a shit.

Still in Kaye Scholer limbo. Just send me the email ding already... you already gave me my parting gift.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:39 am

Still haven't heard from: Milbank, Kaye Scholer, Weil (Redwood Shores), Holland & Knight, and Bickel & Brewer

Pretty much given up at this point on those having no CBs whatsoever. Ready to break out the kool aid if anyone cares to join.

Talked w/ career service, and they said it is acceptable to email recruiting asking for an update. Unfortunately, got a reply from Baker & Host w/ a ding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:10 am

Has anyone heard anything from Foley?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Has anybody heard anything from Baker & McKenzie?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Winston & Strawn ding. Thanks for getting back to me in such a timely manner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Winston & Strawn ding. Thanks for getting back to me in such a timely manner.


Do you mean ding after you did a callback or that they're just now dinging you from EIP?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Winston & Strawn ding. Thanks for getting back to me in such a timely manner.


Do you mean ding after you did a callback or that they're just now dinging you from EIP?

The latter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Winston & Strawn ding. Thanks for getting back to me in such a timely manner.


Do you mean ding after you did a callback or that they're just now dinging you from EIP?

The latter.


Unacceptable and unprofessional. You're about the fifth or sixth person whose story with Winston has made me say the same thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Winston & Strawn ding. Thanks for getting back to me in such a timely manner.


Do you mean ding after you did a callback or that they're just now dinging you from EIP?

The latter.


Unacceptable and unprofessional. You're about the fifth or sixth person whose story with Winston has made me say the same thing.


TBF: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/bedbugs- ... on-strawn/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone's KL Gates CB been scheduled? I'm still waiting to hear back about my exact date...



Not yet, nope. They said they would be a few days, as I recall. It's probably more complicated to schedule now that classes are starting, you know?


They told me they have callbacks between 9/8 and 9/17, 9AM-530PM.

And, for the person asking about Patton Boggs: I got a CB probably 10 days ago, give or take.



You spoke with them on Fri or today? When I spoke, they asked my availability generally, but did not give me specific dates.


How did the callback interviews for Patton Boggs go for people and did anyone receive or even hear about offers being made?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Send thank you e-mails. I cannot stress this enough. I used to work at a V50 as a paralegal, and was close friends with a couple of people in recruiting. When they're getting thank you's from every other candidate but you, you stick out like a sore thumb.

Eh....that certainly makes sense if the firm only called back a few candidates. I doubt it matters otherwise. I haven't sent ty emails and I have 2 offers, no rejections thus far.


Okay, but for all we know you're a Kent/Stone Scholar or have LR, or perhaps your interviewers just happened to not care about those things. I'm sub-median GPA and I figured, why risk it? You never know what your interviewer is going to think. I've sent thank you's after every callback, and I have 3 offers so far. I credit those offers to being personable and friendly and following up with every person I interviewed with - my grades sure didn't have anything to do with it.


I'm two for two with no thank yous. Pretty good grades, but not anywhere close to Kent, not on LR, no prior work experience. I think firms just don't care.


Offer at firm where I did not send thank yous.

No offer at firm where I did send thank yous.

I don't think firms care either.

User avatar
whyamidoingthis
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby whyamidoingthis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Eh....that certainly makes sense if the firm only called back a few candidates. I doubt it matters otherwise. I haven't sent ty emails and I have 2 offers, no rejections thus far.


Okay, but for all we know you're a Kent/Stone Scholar or have LR, or perhaps your interviewers just happened to not care about those things. I'm sub-median GPA and I figured, why risk it? You never know what your interviewer is going to think. I've sent thank you's after every callback, and I have 3 offers so far. I credit those offers to being personable and friendly and following up with every person I interviewed with - my grades sure didn't have anything to do with it.


I'm two for two with no thank yous. Pretty good grades, but not anywhere close to Kent, not on LR, no prior work experience. I think firms just don't care.


Offer at firm where I did not send thank yous.

No offer at firm where I did send thank yous.

I don't think firms care either.


Seriously people, it's not a matter of whether firms CARE or not, it's about what's professional. Sometimes, I cannot get over the short-term outlook on this board. You are supposed to be learning to establish relationships with people, whether or not you end up working at the firm, and a two-line typoless thank you never killed anyone. I got a staff job offer at a firm once (several months after I had interviewed for a different position) because the recruiter remembered that I had written her a nice thank you note after the interview asking her to keep me in mind for other positions since we had both agreed that I was essentially overqualified for the one that was open. Even if things like that don't happen as a result of your thank yous, I'd rather be perceived as polite--not everything in life is about getting a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:22 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:Seriously people, it's not a matter of whether firms CARE or not, it's about what's professional. Sometimes, I cannot get over the short-term outlook on this board. You are supposed to be learning to establish relationships with people, whether or not you end up working at the firm, and a two-line typoless thank you never killed anyone. I got a staff job offer at a firm once (several months after I had interviewed for a different position) because the recruiter remembered that I had written her a nice thank you note after the interview asking her to keep me in mind for other positions since we had both agreed that I was essentially overqualified for the one that was open. Even if things like that don't happen as a result of your thank yous, I'd rather be perceived as polite--not everything in life is about getting a job.


...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Has anyone gotten a callback from DLA Piper?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:05 pm

I think its stupid that a thank-you note determines whether you get a job or not when 3 years ago the same idiots that are interviewing us all had to just sit there and get dozens of offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think its stupid that a thank-you note determines whether you get a job or not when 3 years ago the same idiots that are interviewing us all had to just sit there and get dozens of offers.


I doubt it's any consolation, but thank you notes aren't going to make or break you. Maybe it's nice, professional, or whatever (I'd be annoyed if I got tons of thank you emails), but it's not going to be the difference between getting an offer and not getting an offer. That is, I can't imagine any office being so ambivalent between two candidates that a "thank you" note will make the difference (and yes, I realize any real benefit is likely subconscious). Especially since, as two firms told me, if its a close call, you're not getting an offer because close calls for summer hires make close calls for full time offers, and nobody wants that.

I do agree that it's frustrating that 3 years ago people just had to show up. But that's life.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.