Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tlsposterdude90

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby tlsposterdude90 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Which firms actually send rejections? That seems pretty crazy

tlsposterdude90

Postby tlsposterdude90 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:cleary ding by email

What time did you get the e-mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 pm

tlsposterdude90 wrote:Which firms actually send rejections? That seems pretty crazy

Actually, I'd personally prefer them to tell you if you've been rejected. It beats waiting around wondering and worrying. In any case, I can confirm that Clifford Chance sends rejections via email, and apparently so do Cleary and Fried Frank, though I haven't personally experienced the latter two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 pm

tlsposterdude90 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:cleary ding by email

What time did you get the e-mail?

Another Cleary ding at 7:30PM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:57 pm

for those of you who got callbacks, an answer to any of these questions would be really helpful:

- Generally, did the interviews with the partners who called you back stand out from the others? How so?
- Is there a specific approach to interviews that you credit for your success? (i.e. being yourself, having a casual conversation mostly unrelated to the law, being honest enough to make Career Services cry, asking particular questions, giving specifics about why you like the firm, talking a lot about your legal experience, randomly getting an interviewer you got along with, etc.)
- How relatively important do you think grades and personality were? How did you manage to convey your personality without being inappropriate?
- Any other interview advice for next week?

for those of you who didn't do well:

- What are you going to do differently next week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Has anyone heard anything from resume dropping at a hospitality suite?

I have serious doubts as to whether these have any impact on students not interviewing with the firm.

tlsposterdude90

Postby tlsposterdude90 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Got dinged by Cleary

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for those of you who got callbacks, an answer to any of these questions would be really helpful:

- Generally, did the interviews with the partners who called you back stand out from the others? How so?
- Is there a specific approach to interviews that you credit for your success? (i.e. being yourself, having a casual conversation mostly unrelated to the law, being honest enough to make Career Services cry, asking particular questions, giving specifics about why you like the firm, talking a lot about your legal experience, randomly getting an interviewer you got along with, etc.)
- How relatively important do you think grades and personality were? How did you manage to convey your personality without being inappropriate?

I did well and got a lot of callbacks.
None of the interviews I did really stood out; maybe a couple where I made the interviewer laugh a lot or we talked about sort of random topics that weren't related to the law (always a good sign), but in general I feel like everyone has fairly normal conversations with their interviewer. I think grades were the most important factor, because unless someone is super awkward or makes a slip-up like giving a practice area that doesn't exist at the firm or forgetting which city s/he's interviewing for, generally everyone has decent conversations with their interviewers. So, my advice is to bid conservatively and try and add additional interview slots with lower-ranked or less competitive firms if your grades aren't as good; and if your grades are good, just be yourself with more enthusiasm and friendliness.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:for those of you who got callbacks, an answer to any of these questions would be really helpful:

None of the interviews I did really stood out; maybe a couple where I made the interviewer laugh a lot or we talked about sort of random topics that weren't related to the law (always a good sign), but in general I feel like everyone has fairly normal conversations with their interviewer. I think grades were the most important factor, because unless someone is super awkward or makes a slip-up like giving a practice area that doesn't exist at the firm or forgetting which city s/he's interviewing for, generally everyone has decent conversations with their interviewers. So, my advice is to bid conservatively and try and add additional interview slots with lower-ranked or less competitive firms if your grades aren't as good; and if your grades are good, just be yourself with more enthusiasm and friendliness.

do you think its all grades or is there anything on your resume that stands out?

Justice League2

Postby Justice League2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm

!
Last edited by Justice League2 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tlsposterdude90

Postby tlsposterdude90 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm

How many callbacks has everybody gotten so far?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

do you think its all grades or is there anything on your resume that stands out?

Honestly, grades. And law review . . . but mostly grades. Actually going to a prestigious undergrad might also help b/c a lot of the partners seem to have gone to ivies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did well and got a lot of callbacks.

+1

I am five for thirteen so far. With one freakish exception, I was unable to snag any callback from firms where my grades weren't in the ballpark - including the ones where my grades were probably too high (YP?!). On the other hand, every V10-V30 firm I interviewed with gave me the good news, regardless of how the interviews went.

So... grades, grades, grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1

I am five for thirteen so far. With one freakish exception, I was unable to snag any callback from firms where my grades weren't in the ballpark - including the ones where my grades were probably too high (YP?!). On the other hand, every V10-V30 firm I interviewed with gave me the good news, regardless of how the interviews went.

well - here's hoping that i am the exception. grades ok but resume is strong

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

I meant that generally. There are exceptions. I had no business getting the freakish callback, but they must have liked my work experience or something. I didn't think my interview was very good either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

I have zero callbacks so far, but only 1 confirmed ding. I'm hoping this is a function of the fact that I didn't apply to any NYC firms and other markets are just slower. Grades are top 15% or so. Edit: and no LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:47 pm

I can confirm Bingham

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:45 am

Hogan Lovells (NY)?

Can confirm DPW.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:32 am

Last edited by Frank on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:41 am

Frank wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm Bingham

Which market?

A friend got one for the NY office. (I’m not the previous poster.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:55 am

So, there's little chance we'll hear anything over the weekend, correct?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:13 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:14 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, there's little chance we'll hear anything over the weekend, correct?

Uncertain.

I think there's a slight chance there could be mail dings arriving if they were mailed Thursday. But I doubt they will be calling over the weekend.

Return to “Legal Employment”