Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's pretty stressful waiting on offer/no-offer after the callback. Can't remember the last time I was this stressed

Autoadmit much?

Yeah man. The site without tight speech restrictions

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got completely shut out at EIP, not a single callback. Interviewed with 21 NYC firms of varying size. GPA is not good (3.1) but I did not expect this. Is it just that I am a terrible interviewer or is anybody with a GPA like mine never going to get an offer in NYC?

I heard that last year lots of people with that GPA got either 0 or 1 callback. This year it seems like most people have some callbacks (but that might just be because I hang out with lots of overachievers); are there still many people with no callbacks?

I have this GPA, and I got 5. I know people with slightly higher (like 3.2) who got 7.

You might try to resume drop, since it is possible to get CBs with this GPA.

CBs, of course, do not equal jobs, so even for us who got CBs, it does not mean SA positions.

Without getting too specific (OK, kidding, PLEASE be specific), could people name some firms that people with 3.1s or under have gotten callbacks from? (Feel free to edit it out tomorrow, but I’d really like to know some firms that I could resume drop without it being a total waste of time/energy.)

I’m hovering below this grades-wise with no callbacks. Thanks for any help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got completely shut out at EIP, not a single callback. Interviewed with 21 NYC firms of varying size. GPA is not good (3.1) but I did not expect this. Is it just that I am a terrible interviewer or is anybody with a GPA like mine never going to get an offer in NYC?

I heard that last year lots of people with that GPA got either 0 or 1 callback. This year it seems like most people have some callbacks (but that might just be because I hang out with lots of overachievers); are there still many people with no callbacks?

I have this GPA, and I got 5. I know people with slightly higher (like 3.2) who got 7.

You might try to resume drop, since it is possible to get CBs with this GPA.

CBs, of course, do not equal jobs, so even for us who got CBs, it does not mean SA positions.

Without getting too specific (OK, kidding, PLEASE be specific), could people name some firms that people with 3.1s or under have gotten callbacks from? (Feel free to edit it out tomorrow, but I’d really like to know some firms that I could resume drop without it being a total waste of time/energy.)

I’m hovering below this grades-wise with no callbacks. Thanks for any help.

I know of people below 3.1 with calls back from:

Morris Nichols, Patton Boggs, Sheppard Mullin, Reed Smith, Cole Shotz, Bressler Amery, Winston and Strawn, Pillsbury WInthrop, and Fox Rothschild.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:37 pm

i have below a 3.1. few callbacks in nyc, at v100 firms. i think it's luck if you're below a 3.2. that seems to be a lotta firms' cutoff, official or not.

as for the resume drop, there are a ton of firms on there. just a question of whether you can establish a connection to the city. (theyre not nyc firms.) so, why philly? wilmington? minneapolis? mobile? that's kinda hard. maybe better to do govt work 2l summer and try again when things pick up

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have below a 3.1. few callbacks in nyc, at v100 firms. i think it's luck if you're below a 3.2. that seems to be a lotta firms' cutoff, official or not.

as for the resume drop, there are a ton of firms on there. just a question of whether you can establish a connection to the city. (theyre not nyc firms.) so, why philly? wilmington? minneapolis? mobile? that's kinda hard. maybe better to do govt work 2l summer and try again when things pick up

dumb question: is resume drop referring to mass mailing or is there something through symplicity/the school? if you mean the latter, where is it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:51 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has K&L Gates offered callbacks or rejections yet?

E-mail rej from them today for me.

Was the interviewer Willie?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 pm

any news from the Texas front? (weil, hayboo, gibson, etc) I know that BB, VE, FJ Latham got back to ppl.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:10 am

As someone with sub-median grades, no real WE and 4 cbs, the only real difference I can think of in my cb interviews was that I actually "clicked" with the interviewer. Most of the interviews lasted till the knock, they were nice conversations, I didn't get tripped up by any questions, but it just felt like I was giving my pitch and they were very polite about pretending to be interested. This was confirmed by an associate on one of my callbacks who said within the first few minutes he would know whether to bring the candidate back or not. A lot of the time there's just nothing you can do when you don't click unless you have a really good knack for reading people quickly or are a very likeable person (being attractive may help here).

There seemed to be two tracks, people with the grades, who just needed to show they had some semblance of a decent personality, and those without who really needed to shine through either by having WE or being a superb interviewee.

Now I don't know if this applies to callbacks too. Would a sub-median candidate have to "ace" all three or four interviews and lunch to get an offer? Or at that point is it more about not messing up big time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:As someone with sub-median grades, no real WE and 4 cbs, the only real difference I can think of in my cb interviews was that I actually "clicked" with the interviewer. Most of the interviews lasted till the knock, they were nice conversations, I didn't get tripped up by any questions, but it just felt like I was giving my pitch and they were very polite about pretending to be interested. This was confirmed by an associate on one of my callbacks who said within the first few minutes he would know whether to bring the candidate back or not. A lot of the time there's just nothing you can do when you don't click unless you have a really good knack for reading people quickly or are a very likeable person (being attractive may help here).

There seemed to be two tracks, people with the grades, who just needed to show they had some semblance of a decent personality, and those without who really needed to shine through either by having WE or being a superb interviewee.

Now I don't know if this applies to callbacks too. Would a sub-median candidate have to "ace" all three or four interviews and lunch to get an offer? Or at that point is it more about not messing up big time?

My guess, as a fellow rising 2L with OK-but-not-good grades, is that the same applies to callbacks. The fact that you made it to a callback shows that you did the "right thing" at your screening. Just keep it up, and focus on your strengths.

Seriously, it all comes down to chemistry. I have callbacks from V20 and V100, and rejections from V50. There is no coherent pattern. What gives.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:As someone with sub-median grades, no real WE and 4 cbs, the only real difference I can think of in my cb interviews was that I actually "clicked" with the interviewer. Most of the interviews lasted till the knock, they were nice conversations, I didn't get tripped up by any questions, but it just felt like I was giving my pitch and they were very polite about pretending to be interested. This was confirmed by an associate on one of my callbacks who said within the first few minutes he would know whether to bring the candidate back or not. A lot of the time there's just nothing you can do when you don't click unless you have a really good knack for reading people quickly or are a very likeable person (being attractive may help here).

Same situation minus the CBs, but I am still waiting on firms where I "clicked" with the interviewer(s) best (ones that went over the allotted time because the interviewer chose to not answer the knock at the door and instead keep the interview / BSing going).

Must say your post gives me a glimmer of hope, albeit a slight one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 am

Herbert Smith email ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 pm

dewey ny ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dewey ny ding

Email or snail? Also, mind sharing your interviewer's initials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Sidley Austin, V&E, and Wiggin & Dana mail dings

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:56 pm

Has anyone received a ding or callback yet from Baker Hostetler?

I think all of my other firms from that first week have gotten back to me with something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a ding or callback yet from Baker Hostetler?

I think all of my other firms from that first week have gotten back to me with something.

I received a CB from Baker Hostetler about 2 weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Anyone heard from Schiff Hardin?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:08 pm

So, no one has heard anything (or heard about someone hearing anything) from Perkins Coie?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:34 pm

How did people fare in the DC market? I'm high stone w/o LR and only got 2 CBs (one from V20, one V50-100) despite interviewing with the major DC shops (Covington, Williams, Latham, Wilmer, Jones, Hogan, etc). I thought the interviews went well, but apparently not. Did I just fail at interviews or was DC ridiculous for others as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did people fare in the DC market? I'm high stone w/o LR and only got 2 CBs (one from V20, one V50-100) despite interviewing with the major DC shops (Covington, Williams, Latham, Wilmer, Jones, Hogan, etc). I thought the interviews went well, but apparently not. Did I just fail at interviews or was DC ridiculous for others as well?

I'm a UVA student who is only reading this thread out of curiosity. Anyway, DC is extremely competitive this year. Most people I know with very strong grades (including several on law review) are seeing about 20%-25% callbacks from their DC screening interviews. I'm not really sure what's going on - either class sizes have shrunk dramatically, or the firms are only calling back a few people in rounds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:54 pm

I haven't heard from almost half my screener interviewers wtf

Return to “Legal Employment”