Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Paul Hastings Los Angeles mail ding
Sheppard LA mail ding

Hogan Lovells resume drop reject

Home markets bullshit, esp come from CA which is just as bad. Though I am pretty fucked up seeing have no callbacks and an inordinate amount of dings. A piece of me dies with every one. Guessing have only a few years left at this rate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Paul Hastings Los Angeles mail ding
Sheppard LA mail ding

Home markets bullshit, esp come from CA which is just as bad. Though I am pretty fucked up seeing have no callbacks and an inordinate amount of dings. A piece of me dies with every one. Guessing have only a few years left at this rate.

I love it when OCS says apply to your home market. I wish I had just bid on every single unselective NYC sweatshop in existence. I feel your pain re: callbacks. It's really lopsided. Stone Scholars/law review types have like 7-10, most have like 3, many have 0. It's crazy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sheppard LA mail ding

I love it when OCS says apply to your home market. I wish I had just bid on every single unselective NYC sweatshop in existence. I feel your pain re: callbacks. It's really lopsided. Stone Scholars/law review types have like 7-10, most have like 3, many have 0. It's crazy

This sucks, and I don't have it as bad as some people out there. That said, did people really think SF/LA would not be grade-sensitive? SA classes have been slashed there, and it's clear that they view coming to Columbia as a chance to grab elite students, figuring that what few slots they have left available can be filled with strong candidates even if those students turn them down. I do know that OCS definitely advised me to be cautious about bidding, though beyond that they gave up nothing specific that might be useful. I'm above-median / sub-Stone + w/e, and, I've gotten dings all over the place. I have almost as many CBs from (what I thought were) my backups in New York as I do in California.

I think this is the same in places like Chicago, but I don't know -- my feeling though is that firms are employing cutoffs that are Stone or higher. I think the exception is for people targeting smaller regional markets where they have strong local ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Has anyone received any callbacks (not rejections) in the past few days?

Also, for those who have had callbacks and sent thank you e-mails - are you hearing responses back or nothing? I'm getting mostly nothing back and I take that to be a bad sign. It seems like if they liked you and envision giving you an offer, they'd take the 5 seconds to at least respond back and say something to the effect of "Nice to meet you too. Let me know if you have any questions." I might be reading too much into this though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any callbacks (not rejections) in the past few days?

Also, for those who have had callbacks and sent thank you e-mails - are you hearing responses back or nothing? I'm getting mostly nothing back and I take that to be a bad sign. It seems like if they liked you and envision giving you an offer, they'd take the 5 seconds to at least respond back and say something to the effect of "Nice to meet you too. Let me know if you have any questions." I might be reading too much into this though.

Is it pretty much standard to send thank-you emails after the callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received any callbacks (not rejections) in the past few days?

Mixed opinions on it, but didn't OCS say that it was proper after a callback.

People say they can't help, and only hurt, but it seems like most corporate lawyers have pretty big egos and I can see some getting offended that they took time out of the precious day to meet with some law student and he/she doesn't even take the time to send a quick thank you note.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Got one this morning from a New York office of a firm that is listed as one other people got callbacks from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I had no clue that it was appropriate to send a thank you after a callback. Intuitively, that seems like too much. When I received a callback, I thanked the partner over the phone and made it clear that I was looking forward to having more opportunities to meet attorneys at the firm. I hope that was enough...I would feel a little insincere sending a thank you after this.

Does it look bad not to?

Another thought, if a callback comes from a recruiter rather than the partner, to me that sends the message that the partner is super busy and is delegating the task to a coordinator. So a thank you might seem invasive.

What are ppl's opinions? Don't wanna mess up the very limited chances I have. That would suck even more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

def thinking way too much into it. theyre busy, and not as obsessed with hiring as we are with being hired...or rather, not as anxious about it. I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:58 pm

At the Callback Panel on the 16th I believe the STB partner said that whether or not you send thank you notes will not affect your chances, but they can be helpful in building relationships with people you'd like to work with during the upcoming summer.

I sent thank you notes to everyone at the two firms I've had callbacks with so far. At one firm, two people wrote back with short and nice messages. At one firm, I didn't receive any responses. I doubt it's a good way to gauge how interested they are in you -- lawyers are busy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had no clue that it was appropriate to send a thank you after a callback. Intuitively, that seems like too much. When I received a callback, I thanked the partner over the phone and made it clear that I was looking forward to having more opportunities to meet attorneys at the firm. I hope that was enough...I would feel a little insincere sending a thank you after this.

Does it look bad not to?

Another thought, if a callback comes from a recruiter rather than the partner, to me that sends the message that the partner is super busy and is delegating the task to a coordinator. So a thank you might seem invasive.

What are ppl's opinions? Don't wanna mess up the very limited chances I have. That would suck even more.
1) don't send a thank-you after a screening interview
2) don't send a thank-you after receiving a callback.
3) if your callback came from the person who interviewed you, then send them a quick thank you after you schedule your callback and let them know when you will be coming back and that you hope to see them
4) email every attorney you meet during the callback (snail mail is over-the-top and likely to arrive after the attorneys give their input on you as a candidate)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had no clue that it was appropriate to send a thank you after a callback. Intuitively, that seems like too much. When I received a callback, I thanked the partner over the phone and made it clear that I was looking forward to having more opportunities to meet attorneys at the firm. I hope that was enough...I would feel a little insincere sending a thank you after this.

Does it look bad not to?

i think when people say "email after callback" they mean after actually attending the callback interviews--not a thank you after the initial call telling you that you have a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Does it look bad not to?

1) don't send a thank-you after a screening interview
2) don't send a thank-you after receiving a callback.
3) if your callback came from the person who interviewed you, then send them a quick thank you after you schedule your callback and let them know when you will be coming back and that you hope to see them
4) email every attorney you meet during the callback (snail mail is over-the-top and likely to arrive after the attorneys give their input on you as a candidate)

thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 pm

typically, how long does it take to go from CB to offer/rejection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This sucks, and I don't have it as bad as some people out there. That said, did people really think SF/LA would not be grade-sensitive? SA classes have been slashed there, and it's clear that they view coming to Columbia as a chance to grab elite students, figuring that what few slots they have left available can be filled with strong candidates even if those students turn them down. I do know that OCS definitely advised me to be cautious about bidding, though beyond that they gave up nothing specific that might be useful. I'm above-median / sub-Stone + w/e, and, I've gotten dings all over the place. I have almost as many CBs from (what I thought were) my backups in New York as I do in California.

I think this is the same in places like Chicago, but I don't know -- my feeling though is that firms are employing cutoffs that are Stone or higher. I think the exception is for people targeting smaller regional markets where they have strong local ties.

the issue is more with markets even smaller than CA. SF/LA are considered major markets

career services did not give adequate warning that it's the same 10 people or so applying to the smaller markets every single time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

the issue is more with markets even smaller than CA. SF/LA are considered major markets

career services did not give adequate warning that it's the same 10 people or so applying to the smaller markets every single time

I would have thought this was pretty easy to figure out though. I pretty much assumed that I would see the same 15 or so names on the list for certain regions...when there aren't that many people from a smallish city, why would you think it would be otherwise?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I would have thought this was pretty easy to figure out though. I pretty much assumed that I would see the same 15 or so names on the list for certain regions...when there aren't that many people from a smallish city, why would you think it would be otherwise?

I did think otherwise you argumentative prick.

Career Services told me to bid anyway. They reviewed my list and gave me the green light. I even asked about putting so many firms from the secondary market on my list and they said it was fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you do the resume drop thing in Symplicity?

I know how to do this part (diff poster). Was wondering though, if anyone else is having trouble uploading documents besides transcripts and resumes, like cover letters and writing samples. I have complained to career service a couple times, and the site still doesn't work for me.

Same--haven't complained yet though. I can only upload resumes, no cover letters, which means I can't apply to ones that require the cover letter be uploaded.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't have any Cs. That's a petition grade, no? I also don't have any connections--at all. I'm from no where near here and don't have any lawyers in the family or anything like that. I also have no reason to lie. This is anonymous after all.

How low can you be ranked with Bs alone, then? Do you figure you're in the bottom third? Do you have valuable WE/awesome resume/language skills that perhaps boosted you?

*Also, as an aside - because I can't resist saying it - the transfer with 15 CBs is a huge tool and the whole of CLS is worse off for having him as a member of their community. Assuming he's real, of course. Which I hope isn't the case.

I don't really know how to figure out where I'm ranked. To be frank, I don't want to know. It won't make me feel better about myself. But, yeah, I'd guess bottom third if I had to put money on it. Maybe lower. It can't be higher.

No language skills. I do have some substantial and useful WE, but I don't say what it is because that'll give me away.

I bet the transfer isn't real. OS said he was trolling in another thread, too. I've been very happy with the lack of douches at CLS. We're a much nicer and easy going group than I was expecting. I hope the transfers aren't out to change that.

Are you a minority? Don't mean to offend but just asking the elephant in the room question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sheppard LA mail ding

No, we clearly realized that CA would be hyper grade sensitive, and that is why we all wasted so many bids trying to get back to our home market, even though we don't have a shot there. :roll: No I really wish I'd known what a shit show this would be. I hate New York but I should have just lied my ass off b/c with CA's economy the way it is, it was foolish to think I had a shot there. 16 dings and no CBs, just got 3 in the mail today: Quinn in SF (no shocker), Paul Hastings LA, Akin Gump LA. Below median grades. Had a couple really good interviews but was rejected anyway (OMM Century City was my best, but again, foolish to be so naive to think that something besides grades mattered.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sheppard LA mail ding

No, we clearly realized that CA would be hyper grade sensitive, and that is why we all wasted so many bids trying to get back to our home market, even though we don't have a shot there. :roll: No I really wish I'd known what a shit show this would be. I hate New York but I should have just lied my ass off b/c with CA's economy the way it is, it was foolish to think I had a shot there. 16 dings and no CBs, just got 3 in the mail today: Quinn in SF (no shocker), Paul Hastings LA, Akin Gump LA. Below median grades. Had a couple really good interviews but was rejected anyway (OMM Century City was my best, but again, foolish to be so naive to think that something besides grades mattered.)

Did you look at the ratio of extended offers to accepted offers? That's usually a good indicator of whether the offers are going to the same people.

I know a number of people completely shut out of their secondary markets. They got a large number of interviews, but they were wasted interviews because they never had a shot going in. The callbacks went to people who are going to take an offer from V10 in NYC.

I agree with you that OCS didn't provide enough info and the info they did provide wasn't very helpful. Given they have so much data on us and our performance during EIP why they wouldn't release a detailed report or be able to give more personalized advice is beyond me. Also, I don't think this year is really any better than the last, despite one OCS person telling me it was going to be more like 2008 than 2009. There seem to be a fair number of people still with 0 callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 am

Getting personalized bid advice from OCS was like pulling teeth. It's almost like someone at the top told the advisors not to discourage bidding on any particular firm. I really think that OCS is desperate to avoid making firms mad (i.e. when no students show up to interview, or only bad students) and therefore won't say anything slightly negative about a particular firm.

The reality is that a lot of firms were only at EIP for show, and secondary markets have become a slaughter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 am

How indicative is last year's offer/callback ratio? Is this number fairly consistent from year to year or is it pretty random?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:38 am

NYU student here. Bid heavily on SF/SV firms, and now feeling a little worried having read this thread. Can anyone discuss/add insight to what the CA market looks like for OCI this year in general?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:How indicative is last year's offer/callback ratio? Is this number fairly consistent from year to year or is it pretty random?

all I know is that Schulte can't possibly be the same, since I don't know one person who interviewed and didn't get a CB.

Return to “Legal Employment”