Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 am

"Got a CB from a firm that interviewed me the first week of EIP. Secondary market."

market? firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:"Got a CB from a firm that interviewed me the first week of EIP. Secondary market."

market? firm?

Prefer not to specify, but a secondary market on the east coast (non-NYC).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question for people who have had their Cleary CB: are you supposed to access who your interviewers will be through that online profile type thing they set up, or do they email you your interviewers? (And, if the answer is the former, how do you get to that site?)
they send your list the day before

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48 am

are you guys sending thank you emails after callbacks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 am

Wow, that's serious. I was told they can only hurt and not help. Do you have good info otherwise or just what you do? I would think physical notes won't help with firms that have quick turnarounds. Do you send to all interviewers or just to HR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:02 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow, that's serious. I was told they can only hurt and not help. Do you have good info otherwise or just what you do? I would think physical notes won't help with firms that have quick turnarounds. Do you send to all interviewers or just to HR?

I send to whomever interviews me. Sometimes, that includes people in HR, yes. If not, then I don't, but I do send it to my interviewers. If I am taken to lunch, I send it to the people who took me to lunch, too. I do it not because I think it will help my chances, but because I think it is the right thing to do. They have taken time from their busy schedules, and I genuinely do appreciate that. They hurt if you mess up some grammar (I always triple check mine), but they are neutral otherwise (I've been told). I just do it because I was raised being told that it is the appropriate thing to do in this sort of situation.
Ditto for me, although I usually just send to partners and any associate interviewers with whom I had a particularly quirky/good conversation. I've gotten a few responses to my thank you notes as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow, that's serious. I was told they can only hurt and not help. Do you have good info otherwise or just what you do? I would think physical notes won't help with firms that have quick turnarounds. Do you send to all interviewers or just to HR?

I send to whomever interviews me. Sometimes, that includes people in HR, yes. If not, then I don't, but I do send it to my interviewers. If I am taken to lunch, I send it to the people who took me to lunch, too. I do it not because I think it will help my chances, but because I think it is the right thing to do. They have taken time from their busy schedules, and I genuinely do appreciate that. They hurt if you mess up some grammar (I always triple check mine), but they are neutral otherwise (I've been told). I just do it because I was raised being told that it is the appropriate thing to do in this sort of situation.
Ditto for me, although I usually just send to partners and any associate interviewers with whom I had a particularly quirky/good conversation. I've gotten a few responses to my thank you notes as well.
Just to chime in with what I do... I absolutely respond to anyone who sends me an email as soon as possible. I always send the recruiter a thank you note for helping arrange my interviews and comment on how much I enjoyed speaking to everyone. I send the screener a thank you note. I also might send 1 or 2 interviewers with whom a conversation was a particular highlight a note, but I'm approaching that as longer-term networking. I also don't think all those kinds of emails have to be sent right away, and they're not really connected to getting an offer.

To me, the thank you emails I would send after each given callback would just be too generic, and I don't want to find 5 different ways to say basically the same thing. At the end of the day, it's part of an attorney's job to participate in callbacks. As for the people who take you out to lunch, they're first years who get to take a break and run up a huge tab 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Does Milbank bother to send out dings or are they too cool for school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Anyone getting updates from firms they interviewed for a week or two ago..just basically saying they are interested but just continue waiting? What should this mean...a slow rejection or they actually still interested?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does Milbank bother to send out dings or are they too cool for school?
seemingly too cool for school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

curiousnyc

New

Post by curiousnyc » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm thinking it should be "to whoever interviews me." So, is this post a joke, or proving the point about mistakes that can be made? lol, unless it's for real...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Send thank you e-mails. I cannot stress this enough. I used to work at a V50 as a paralegal, and was close friends with a couple of people in recruiting. When they're getting thank you's from every other candidate but you, you stick out like a sore thumb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Send thank you e-mails. I cannot stress this enough. I used to work at a V50 as a paralegal, and was close friends with a couple of people in recruiting. When they're getting thank you's from every other candidate but you, you stick out like a sore thumb.
You mean after a callback, right? Not screening interview? I think it'd get annoying after a while to receive 20 thank you emails... maybe that's just me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Send thank you e-mails. I cannot stress this enough. I used to work at a V50 as a paralegal, and was close friends with a couple of people in recruiting. When they're getting thank you's from every other candidate but you, you stick out like a sore thumb.
Eh....that certainly makes sense if the firm only called back a few candidates. I doubt it matters otherwise. I haven't sent ty emails and I have 2 offers, no rejections thus far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Eh....that certainly makes sense if the firm only called back a few candidates. I doubt it matters otherwise. I haven't sent ty emails and I have 2 offers, no rejections thus far.
Okay, but for all we know you're a Kent/Stone Scholar or have LR, or perhaps your interviewers just happened to not care about those things. I'm sub-median GPA and I figured, why risk it? You never know what your interviewer is going to think. I've sent thank you's after every callback, and I have 3 offers so far. I credit those offers to being personable and friendly and following up with every person I interviewed with - my grades sure didn't have anything to do with it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:48 pm

I haven't heard a peep from any of these firms (neither a callback offer nor a rejection):

Kaye Scholer
Milbank Tweed
Dickstein Shapiro
Curtis Mallet-Prevost
Bickel & Brewer NY

Anyone else in the same boat?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard a peep from any of these firms (neither a callback offer nor a rejection):

Kaye Scholer
Milbank Tweed
Dickstein Shapiro
Curtis Mallet-Prevost
Bickel & Brewer NY

Anyone else in the same boat?
No word from: Milbank, Latham, Ropes, Cahill, Weil, Dechert.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Okay, but for all we know you're a Kent/Stone Scholar or have LR, or perhaps your interviewers just happened to not care about those things. I'm sub-median GPA and I figured, why risk it? You never know what your interviewer is going to think. I've sent thank you's after every callback, and I have 3 offers so far. I credit those offers to being personable and friendly and following up with every person I interviewed with - my grades sure didn't have anything to do with it.
I'm two for two with no thank yous. Pretty good grades, but not anywhere close to Kent, not on LR, no prior work experience. I think firms just don't care.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”