POLL: when is the best time (in the day) to interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

interview early or late in the schedule?

early
62%
middle
22%
late
16%

Total votes: 50

dood

Gold

POLL: when is the best time (in the day) to interview?

Post by dood » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Last edited by dood on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Re: POLL: when is the best time (in the day) to interview?

Post by General Tso » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:12 pm

I think it's better to make a good impression early, before the interviewer gets tired and hungry.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Sometimes, you just don't have much of a choice. I'd like to think that interviewers give a fair chance to everyone they speak with.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:21 pm

ak362 wrote:Sometimes, you just don't have much of a choice. I'd like to think that interviewers give a fair chance to everyone they speak with.
I'd like to think a lot of things - doesn't make them true.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I think you want to be first. You want to be in a "memory" spot, which pretty much leaves first, right before lunch, right after lunch, or last. Of those, being first gets to set the bar, gets the interviewer at their freshest, might get you out of a tough question s/he thinks of midday, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:26 pm

early while they (and you) are still fresh and when you do a great job they have to compare everyone else to you all day.
otherwise, late. Be the last impression they have, maybe draw the interview out longer than you would be able to otherwise and leave them as they have that lovely done-for-the-day feeling.
Never in the middle.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:37 pm

wiseowl wrote:I think you want to be first. You want to be in a "memory" spot, which pretty much leaves first, right before lunch, right after lunch, or last. Of those, being first gets to set the bar, gets the interviewer at their freshest, might get you out of a tough question s/he thinks of midday, etc.
Even with potential hunger pangs?

Also, just food for thought, but wouldn't one of the drawbacks of going first be that you might not be remembered 19 interviews later (or however many)? Also, there are only so many first/last of the day interviews that you could schedule. I've asked a few folks about this, and of course, there's a divergence of opinion.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Of all of the things that could possibly matter, this has to be near the bottom of the list.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:37 pm

disco_barred wrote:Of all of the things that could possibly matter, this has to be near the bottom of the list.
Not really - I usually try to vie for the 9:00AM or earlier slot to prove to the employer that you can make it to the office on time with little fuss. You can prob. also get away with, "Yeah, I wake up every morning at 4AM to shower with ICE COLD water and do 100 hail marries while planning my day out for the next 2 years. Every morning..."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Of all of the things that could possibly matter, this has to be near the bottom of the list.
Not really - I usually try to vie for the 9:00AM or earlier slot to prove to the employer that you can make it to the office on time with little fuss. You can prob. also get away with, "Yeah, I wake up every morning at 4AM to shower with ICE COLD water and do 100 hail marries while planning my day out for the next 2 years. Every morning..."
Again, on the spectrum of things that could matter, including the shininess of your shoes, the weather that day, your astrological sign, your GPA, the school you came from, your demeanor, your work experience, the belt you chose, what paper you printed your resume on, how firm your handshake is, what kind of deodorant you use, what you eat for breakfast, your waist size, how tall you are, your undergraduate record, your eye color, your ethnicity, whether or not you're married, your shirt color, your teeth, the classes you chose 2L fall, what you did 1L summer, whether or not you have acne, your arm strength, the width of your shoulders, etc. I can't imagine the mother fucking time you choose to interview with the firm being worthy of a hell of a lot of consideration. The best time to interview with a firm is whenever you can interview with the firm. If you have options, pick a time that fits in your schedule.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:52 pm

disco_barred wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Not really - I usually try to vie for the 9:00AM or earlier slot to prove to the employer that you can make it to the office on time with little fuss. You can prob. also get away with, "Yeah, I wake up every morning at 4AM to shower with ICE COLD water and do 100 hail marries while planning my day out for the next 2 years. Every morning..." /sarcasm
Again, on the spectrum of things that could matter, including the shininess of your shoes, the weather that day, your astrological sign, your GPA, the school you came from, your demeanor, your work experience, the belt you chose, what paper you printed your resume on, how firm your handshake is, what kind of deodorant you use, what you eat for breakfast, your waist size, how tall you are, your undergraduate record, your eye color, your ethnicity, whether or not you're married, your shirt color, your teeth, the classes you chose 2L fall, what you did 1L summer, whether or not you have acne, your arm strength, the width of your shoulders, etc. I can't imagine the mother fucking time you choose to interview with the firm being worthy of a hell of a lot of consideration. The best time to interview with a firm is whenever you can interview with the firm. If you have options, pick a time that fits in your schedule.
There. I fixed that.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote: There. I fixed that.
Thanks. I am thick and mildly retarded.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:29 pm

disco_barred wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: There. I fixed that.
Thanks. I am thick and mildly retarded.
No worries - I enjoy a rant as much as.. well - I was going to say the next guy.. but prob. as much as O'Reily maybe?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 pm

If your interview is mid-afternoon you're fucked. Better call career services right now and ask if they can schedule you early in the morning.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:45 pm

It may not be as inconsequential as you might think. Recent research suggests that all evaluators exhibit a primacy effect in preference and more expert evaluators exhibit a recency effect.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:51 pm

masochist wrote:It may not be as inconsequential as you might think. Recent research suggests that all evaluators exhibit a primacy effect in preference and more expert evaluators exhibit a recency effect.
I was washing a dish... slippers? fuck slippers! I was washing a dish and he...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Mens Health tells me mid morning... late enough so the interviewer is completely woken up and done with the "morning" routine but early enough he's not yet thinking about lunch.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:38 am

We are talking screening interviews here right? I say middle. In the beginning, both you and the interviewer are stretching your legs. Neither really is into it yet, so it can leave you with some lackluster interviews. The end is out too. Sure, you get the chance to leave a last impression. but at that point, both you and (more relevantly) the interviewer are so tired that you really just want to be done. The interviewer may be thinking more about that bed in his hotel room than what you have to say, which could make you more forgettable.

In the middle, both of you are hitting your stride. It is early enough that the interviewer is still engaged, and late enough that you should have impressing the pants off of people down to a science. And for some reason people think they won't remember the people in the middle, so if you DO leave an impression, it will be all the stronger.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:42 am

disco_barred wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Eh, I think it matters enough that, if given the choice, I am going to stick my most important interviews in the middle.

But it is not worth worrying about if you are not given a choice. Which you hardly ever are. So this whole exercise is just academic.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:51 am

I'm in this camp. I've heard cogent and passionate arguments from law students whom I respect in favor of all three of these options. Focus on being the best interview, regardless of what time of day it is.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:20 am

if you can't make yourself memorable enough to get a callback it is 100% not related to the time of day that you interviewed. Rather, it is 100% tied to how poorly you conveyed your enthusiasm and research about the firm and / or your paper credentials were not up to snuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:56 am

SBL wrote:
I'm in this camp. I've heard cogent and passionate arguments from law students whom I respect in favor of all three of these options. Focus on being the best interview, regardless of what time of day it is.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:13 am

Every time I've ever interviewed in the last slot of the day for an employer it's lasted more than an hour and I've gotten a call back.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

A career services person at Cornell told me that first is best, then last, then before a break or right after a break.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”