Yale FIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dbt

Re: Yale FIP

Postby dbt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Weil Gotshal? I got an offer there and liked it when I visited, but I noticed that hardly any Yale students decide to go work there. It's in Vault's Top 10, so I would've thought that it'd be more popular. A search of the summer employment surveys, however, reveals only 3 hits for Weil Gotshal! Does this firm have a really bad reputation for being a hellhole or gunner-y or something? The reviews on ATL's Career Center and on Vault talk pretty glowingly about it...so what am I missing? Is it just that Weil interviews relatively few students? Or maybe that students like me look at the summer evals, notice that no one ever goes there, and then decide to go elsewhere, compounding the effect? Someone help me understand! What's going on here? Thanks!!

The only thing I can say is that I had Weil on my list of firms to apply to and when my well-respected professor/mentor was looking it over she said they should be toward the bottom as far as preferences. I think they're really only great for Tax and that they might have been worse than other V10 firms in how they handled (dealt with) the economic crisis.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:47 pm

dbt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Weil Gotshal? I got an offer there and liked it when I visited, but I noticed that hardly any Yale students decide to go work there. It's in Vault's Top 10, so I would've thought that it'd be more popular. A search of the summer employment surveys, however, reveals only 3 hits for Weil Gotshal! Does this firm have a really bad reputation for being a hellhole or gunner-y or something? The reviews on ATL's Career Center and on Vault talk pretty glowingly about it...so what am I missing? Is it just that Weil interviews relatively few students? Or maybe that students like me look at the summer evals, notice that no one ever goes there, and then decide to go elsewhere, compounding the effect? Someone help me understand! What's going on here? Thanks!!

The only thing I can say is that I had Weil on my list of firms to apply to and when my well-respected professor/mentor was looking it over she said they should be toward the bottom as far as preferences. I think they're really only great for Tax and that they might have been worse than other V10 firms in how they handled (dealt with) the economic crisis.

Weil is a bankruptcy POWERHOUSE. I doubt the economy hit them any harder than other V10s. In fact, they probably made bank with all they work they received.

dbt

Postby dbt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
dbt wrote:

Weil is a bankruptcy POWERHOUSE. I doubt the economy hit them any harder than other V10s. In fact, they probably made bank with all they work they received.

That's probably what I meant. Not tax. Either way I remembered her saying that Weil is really good for one thing.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 pm

I am curious on Weil too. Okay, good on bankruptcy and less good on other things. but still better than a wilkie? a sidley? i'd love to know where they fit, since the associates there seemed really happy to me! And their office is great.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 pm

I wouldn't weigh Vault's rankings too heavily in your decision. Certainly not above gut
instinct or feel. Conversely, I would seriously consider your relative interest in a firm's bread and butter practice (eg bankruptcy at Weil, if true - I have no idea).

If you are concerned, I would visit Weil again to meet with more folks - and network (via LinkedIn, with alums of your undergrad, etc.) to hear what Weil alums have to say about their experiences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am

Thank you all for your thoughts on Weil! I think I know how to decide now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 am

any word on williams & connolly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:27 pm

just got an offer from w&c -- good luck, friends!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

CB Date?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:53 pm

1 YLS at W&C

Can anybody report fellow student phones ringing?

Any Dings by phone? or is this just "the good news"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm

My callback was early last week. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm

So presumably lots of YLS 2Ls scurried to callbacks over the last two weeks (between FIP and school really starting). Strangely quiet since. Surely some of you are getting callbacks, offers (and yes even a few dings).

We won't consider it unseemly gloating if anyone cares to let the rest of know if YLS 2Ls are really immune to the OCI blahs?

ruski

Postby ruski » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:58 pm

ive heard that skadden is not as selective/prestigious as the other v5, and weil is not as selective/presitigious as the other v10. and that those are the oddballs firms within their "peer" firms.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:39 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
ruski wrote:ive heard that skadden is not as selective/prestigious as the other v5, and weil is not as selective/presitigious as the other v10. and that those are the oddballs firms within their "peer" firms.

I think before the economic crisis, Skadden and Weil were the GULCs of the V5 and V10, respectively. ITE? I'm not so sure. Both became really selective last year, for obvious reasons. Don't know enough about this year.

There's no need to put a school down to make a point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:41 am

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
ruski wrote:ive heard that skadden is not as selective/prestigious as the other v5, and weil is not as selective/presitigious as the other v10. and that those are the oddballs firms within their "peer" firms.

I think before the economic crisis, Skadden and Weil were the GULCs of the V5 and V10, respectively. ITE? I'm not so sure. Both became really selective last year, for obvious reasons. Don't know enough about this year.

...says the poster who unsympathetically trolls employment forums.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:06 pm

rumored Williams & Connolly snail mail ding and another rumored phone offer yesterday

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:52 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:

Yeah... because if you mean that they are much less selective than their peers, then you mean to say they are the Cornell of the V5 and V10 (on the other hand, Cornell kids get jobs). But if you mean to say that they're weirdly popular despite their relative crappiness, then the analogy isn't that bad.

I worked at a V50 this past summer as an SA. This is a perfect example of why the two Yale kids were the class outcasts (and one was no offered). Good luck next summer guys!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:56 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
ruski wrote:

Yeah... because if you mean that they are much less selective than their peers, then you mean to say they are the Cornell of the V5 and V10 (on the other hand, Cornell kids get jobs). But if you mean to say that they're weirdly popular despite their relative crappiness, then the analogy isn't that bad.

I worked at a V50 this past summer as an SA. This is a perfect example of why the two Yale kids were the class outcasts (and one was no offered). Good luck next summer guys!

There are plenty of elitist bastards here. But we're not all like that. Sorry about your negative experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm

There are plenty of elitist bastards here. But we're not all like that. Sorry about your negative experience.

Oh it wasn't negative for me; I made friends and got an offer...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Oh it wasn't negative for me; I made friends and got an offer...

Cool. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I worked at a V50 this past summer as an SA. This is a perfect example of why the two Yale kids were the class outcasts (and one was no offered). Good luck next summer guys!

AFAIK, none of the posters you quoted are YLS students.

Also, does anybody have a read on whether or not people at YLS are getting shut out of DC, SF, or Chicago this year? It seems to be a common theme at other schools.

Return to “Legal Employment”