GW OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrAnon

Re: GW OCI Results

Postby MrAnon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:19 am

You have to be very top of the class for a good chance at anything. There simply are no assurance anymore, but being among the top dozen or so standout students in the class will help you. These threads are littered with stories of people at GW and similar schools who did well on exams but are coming up empty in the job market. That should be a wake up call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:24 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:I don't know if this thread is meant to be only for current GW students but if you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it. What class rank would you guys say is necessary to give someone with no work experience/non-IP a decent chance at biglaw?

Top 15 will get you interviews, but really, you need to be top 5% to have a decent shot of callbacks with biglaw during this hiring climate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:I don't know if this thread is meant to be only for current GW students but if you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it. What class rank would you guys say is necessary to give someone with no work experience/non-IP a decent chance at biglaw?

Top 15 will get you interviews, but really, you need to be top 5% to have a decent shot of callbacks with biglaw during this hiring climate.

Ditto to the first part - outside Top 15%, your interview opportunities at biglaw tank; once you've made it that far, though, it'll be the non-gpa stuff that you'll need to stand out - journal experience (LR preferred), your grades in LRW (legal research & writing), your 1L summer job (a great 1L summer internship can essentially balance out a lack of pre-1L experience), moot court/mock trial/ADR membership/participation, campus organizations you're passionate about, etc.

I'm non-IP & know I'm not top 5%, but I made LR & have an interesting pre-LS work experience - you just need to make the most of all the experiences you do have once you've got the grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Without a doubt top 15%. To land offers you always need something to make yourself stand out, like the others said. But I want to add that this is true for any school ITE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:53 pm

the people in the top 15% and lr i know are doing well and have offers (most from v20 firms). seemed like a lot of people at median were at screening interviews though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 am

where have people gotten offers to (or heard of people getting offers to)... any stories of non-lr, non-top 15% people or medianish people having any success????

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
so.....

whats the conclusion? does it seem like most of top 15% got offers? any offers at median??

I am top 15%, no LR, think I interview reasonably well - 10 interviews, 6 rejections and 4 silence - no CB as of yet.

top 15%, LR: 6 CBs, 2 offers, 1 ding, 3 outstanding.

most of the firms are still doing callbacks & seem to do them on a rolling basis, so no news might be good news on those 4.

top 15%, LR, 13 CBs (accepted 9). post callback: 4 offers, 1 ding. 8 outstanding - some of which i did several weeks ago so i think there is definitely a "hold" pool still...

Aston2412 wrote:200k in debt you have to balance against average salary coming out.

GW median is 140 in the first year out. Live frugally and you've payed off your loans in 2-3 years, less if you're making more.

Admittedly if you have $ from another school with a similar starting salary, then it may be worth it.

aston2412, have fun finding a 1L firm job. you are obviously very informed about the current state of the legal market and, considering that you're already asking about transferring to columbia and talking about how easy law school is, cravath and skadden will be dying to have you!

So much hostility!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Resume Drop?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 pm

~6 emails (out of 30 bids) for screening interviews in DC, NOVA, Baltimore, all received around the 15th. Didn't accept any since I already had 3 offers, but in general it didn't seem as though resume collect was as big an opportunity as CDO made it out to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:~6 emails (out of 30 bids) for screening interviews in DC, NOVA, Baltimore, all received around the 15th. Didn't accept any since I already had 3 offers, but in general it didn't seem as though resume collect was as big an opportunity as CDO made it out to be.

This surprises me...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 pm

any non-lr, non-top 15% folks get jobs from oci??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Anyone interview with/hear from Van Ness Feldman?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:any non-lr, non-top 15% folks get jobs from oci??

IP people did fine...I actually don't know any who didn't, regardless of their grades.

GW_Law_Student

Postby GW_Law_Student » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Anyone from 2011 wanna report?

GW_Law_Student

Postby GW_Law_Student » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Bueller?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:12 pm

GW_Law_Student wrote:Bueller?

I think there's a thread on this already. But, ill bite. I was top 15percent, but wiffed at OCI. five callbacks from OCI, two from direct writes no offers. I got lucky and landed a mid-size gig not at market pay but still pretty good money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think there's a thread on this already. But, ill bite. I was top 15percent, but wiffed at OCI. five callbacks from OCI, two from direct writes no offers. I got lucky and landed a mid-size gig not at market pay but still pretty good money.

Same poster as above. No LR, secondary journal.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm curious about this too - I will regret coming to GW over the T14 I was accepted in for the rest of my life. Too late to go back now.

I am below median, no LR, no biglaw job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same poster. I should say before I start spreading doom and gloom re: GW that I know a handful of people with worse grades than mine who did get biglaw.

GW_Law_Student

Postby GW_Law_Student » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same poster. I should say before I start spreading doom and gloom re: GW that I know a handful of people with worse grades than mine who did get biglaw.

What do you think happened in your case?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Top 33%. Non IP. Non LR (but Secondary).

15 OCI interviews; 5 CBs. 2 mass mail interviews; 0 CBs.

V50 offer, accepted - top choice; withdrew from remainder without receiving offers or rejections from them.

Here is the 2011 GW OCI thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=162290
It won't give you the stats you want, but at least you get a flavor of what firms actually give GW students a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:20 pm

.[/quote]

What do you think happened in your case?[/quote]

Combination of some overconfidence, poor interviewing skills, a non-prestigious undergrad, the fact that I came straight through law school, and just some bad luck. It's hard to nail it exactly but ultimately I'm really happy with the firm I ended up with. I also think the fact that I was hesitant about doing big law (swore to myself coming in I would never go down that route) really came through (even though I did everything I could to not have it come through).

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:IP people did fine...I actually don't know any who didn't, regardless of their grades.

This was my experience back in 2010 OCI (which I think is where this thread originated), so long as you weren't a poor interviewer.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:33 pm

How did trademark and copyright folks do?

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Not any better than the rest of the class. Hard IP folks (hard science backgrounds) do better, but since the "soft" IP stuff requires no different background that the rest of us bozos with social science backgrounds, they don't fare any better.

Return to “Legal Employment”