GW OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GW OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yeah apparently transfers aren't fairing so well.
I got zero pre-selects 1 alternate thats literally it.
That's rough. Sorry OCI didn't work out. Start spamming you hometown market and anywhere you have ties, as well as DC and NYC.
dood wrote:wat about the poaster like 7 up? he said he got 16 preselects!
Just goes to show that not all transfers are treated the same, but that it depends on your old school and your old grades.

Thanks for the advice. I am the transfer that didnt get any interviews. I went to a good school before this transfered up about 10 spots roughly.
I was top 25% there first semester and then due to an unprofessional teacher ended up with two lower grades second semester still had a 3.41 thought that would be good enough for something. Unfortunately my home market is DC. But I am going to keep trying and not give up hope yet.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 pm

lurker53 wrote:
bwv812 wrote: If this holds up, GW may outplace GULC, where people are getting fewer interviews and seem to be getting fewer contacts from firms they didn't get interviews at.
As someone who chose GULC over a massive scholarship at GW, that is pretty depressing. :|
It's also absurd and false. Georgetown still places better, it just doesn't have a pre-select process. My guess is a huge swath of the GW class got basically 0 interviews, while they were more evenly spread out at Georgetown because of its lottery system.

As an example, W&C hires many Gtown students but doesn't even participate in GW's interview program. You can't make generalizations from threads like this.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Top third at GW is getting 14 preselects. Don't think top 35% at GULC isn't getting enough employer-initiated interviews in order to bring interview totals up to 14. Top 15% isn't picking up an extra 10 interviews at GULC in order to equal GW's 20 interviews.

I'm sure you're right that the bottom 1/2 or 2/3 at GW are not doing well, (not that I think they're going to do great at GULC), but if these screenings turn into CBs and offers at the same rate they do at GULC (which is the big question: how many of these firms are just giving empty pre-select interviews to fill out their schedules?) then it may be better to be top 1/3 or higher at GW than at GULC (which is how I should have phrased my earlier statement about GW outplacing us).
GULCer here. First, the fact is that we don't do preselects, which will inevitably skew the results. You can't sit here and say that GW is in a better position than we are simply based on this anecdotal evidence. I'm not sure where you are at law school (if you still go; and for all I know you are GULC as well), but I don't know who you've been speaking to at GULC to indicate that the microscopic sample of GW posting here is representative of GW's Top 1/3 as a whole (and as you note, for all we know half of those preselects are purely to fill schedules). A fair amount of people I know who definitely aren't Top 15 (at least in my section) have at least 10 interviews just from the lottery. I'm Top 15%; I'm at about 18 or 19 interviews so far, almost all in the V10-50 range; 7 of those are at places that got back to me after the lottery didn't allocate me an interview (and I also did individual outreach). So I'd argue that Top 1/3 at GULC is okay, though obviously for some individuals it will entirely depend on how he or she bid (ergo, some people have less than 10).

I'd rather we have a hybrid like UVA, but I get that it would be difficult for employers to deal with that given the size of the class. Still, to the poster above who was disheartened about choosing GULC over GW (what, did they offer you the $100K/free housing deal too?), don't sweat it. This board and its posters are not a representative sample. Notice how little current GULC activity there is, for what, about 600 graduating students/year?

Edit: Moreover, plenty of people get extra interviews and even offers from visiting the hospitality suites at EIW. My future roommate got one through that process last year from a firm he never even bid on.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:36 pm

bwv812 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
lurker53 wrote:
bwv812 wrote: If this holds up, GW may outplace GULC, where people are getting fewer interviews and seem to be getting fewer contacts from firms they didn't get interviews at.
As someone who chose GULC over a massive scholarship at GW, that is pretty depressing. :|
It's also absurd and false. Georgetown still places better, it just doesn't have a pre-select process. My guess is a huge swath of the GW class got basically 0 interviews, while they were more evenly spread out at Georgetown because of its lottery system.

As an example, W&C hires many Gtown students but doesn't even participate in GW's interview program. You can't make generalizations from threads like this.
Top third at GW is getting 14 preselects. Don't think top 35% at GULC isn't getting enough employer-initiated interviews in order to bring interview totals up to 14. Top 15% isn't picking up an extra 10 interviews at GULC in order to equal GW's 20 interviews.

I'm sure you're right that the bottom 1/2 or 2/3 at GW are not doing well, (not that I think they're going to do great at GULC), but if these screenings turn into CBs and offers at the same rate they do at GULC (which is the big question: how many of these firms are just giving empty pre-select interviews to fill out their schedules?) then it may be better to be top 1/3 or higher at GW than at GULC (which is how I should have phrased my earlier statement about GW outplacing us).
Dude, the students in the Yale thread are getting 10-15 interviews. It's not a numbers game. You can only have one job. Students from all portions of the class at Georgetown are more likely to turn their interviews into callbacks and offers than at GW. Everyone in the city knows GULC > GW (even though they're close) and GULC absolutely has more national pull.

Yeah, more interviews are nice - but this is a 'law students get obsessed over minute details' moment. Like the # of firms coming to OCI, the quality matters much more than the overall total. More is better all things being equal - but as between Gtown and GW, all things are NOT equal.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm

bwv812 wrote: At some point, the absolute # of interviews (not to mention employer interest) matters - if it didn't no one would think that UVa's pre-select system is any good. GULC isn't Yale. People with good grades and 8 interviews (with firms they can't even be sure are interested in them) shouldn't be placated by the thought that their interviews are of a better quality when they see GW students of similar rank pulling twice the # of interviews.
At that point, the only person they have to blame is themselves for poor bidding strategy (and yes, that is exactly what it is).

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:30 pm

We definitely don't get 100% participation. Plus, firms upped the amount of interview slots this year. I know the mean is 8, but it seems like those of us with better grades who did bid more aggressively got more interviews (with those with lesser grades doing worse because they all targeted the same places).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote: GULCer here. First, the fact is that we don't do preselects, which will inevitably skew the results. You can't sit here and say that GW is in a better position than we are simply based on this anecdotal evidence. I'm not sure where you are at law school (if you still go; and for all I know you are GULC as well), but I don't know who you've been speaking to at GULC to indicate that the microscopic sample of GW posting here is representative of GW's Top 1/3 as a whole (and as you note, for all we know half of those preselects are purely to fill schedules). A fair amount of people I know who definitely aren't Top 15 (at least in my section) have at least 10 interviews just from the lottery. I'm Top 15%; I'm at about 18 or 19 interviews so far, almost all in the V10-50 range; 7 of those are at places that got back to me after the lottery didn't allocate me an interview (and I also did individual outreach). .
Mind helping me out a bit - also at GULC. How did you contact the firms outside of EIW? How many top 20 bids contacted you independent of your outreach?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 pm

^ Contact info is available in Symplicity in the EIW tab, though I also checked the firm's websites (and used the website contact info as my target person since generally that's whose email was available). Did cover letters/resume. Out of my top 20, I have not heard from any that I did not get interviews with (it's still early, after all). The ones I've heard back from were in the 20-40 range (primarily independent outreach, though I get the feeling GULC sends out resumes to some firms beyond one's Top 20 bids).

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:19 am

Transfer here, including a couple of interviews form the regional programs I have 15 preselects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Has anyone heard back from mound cotton either getting dinged or getting a call back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:38 pm

OCI outcomes at GW:

Friend 1 - 32 interviews

Friend 2 - 33 interview

Friend 3 - 28 interviews

Me - 7 interviews (I only applied for 7 firms - not in the mood to interview a lot)

ridonculous

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCI outcomes at GW:

Friend 1 - 32 interviews

Friend 2 - 33 interview

Friend 3 - 28 interviews

Me - 7 interviews (I only applied for 7 firms - not in the mood to interview a lot)

ridonculous
You want to give us these friends' class ranks here, broheim?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:34 am

all on LR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Anyone interested interested in starting a list of which firms have offered cb's thus far.
Interviewed with 5 between yesterday and today haven't heard anything yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm

itll just make people worry unnecessarily. i freaked out after loyola patent law program because i hadn't heard anything after a while and other people were already starting to get cbs... ended up getting plenty of cbs. firms have their own timelines and don't necessarily get back to people at the same time.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OCI outcomes at GW:

Friend 1 - 32 interviews

Friend 2 - 33 interview

Friend 3 - 28 interviews

ridonculous
This makes me think I severely underbid on firms. 32? I bid on 18 total and basically got half. Top 1/3rd BU - seems like schools in our range are doing better than expected. Lets hope that means they'll hire a decent amount of us.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Alright, lets get this thread back on track like some of the others...

Anyone with CBs thus far? In particular (IP schedules only)...
GP (DC), AV&H, Fitz, Cooley, and F&R?

GL everyone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:16 pm

interviewed with most of the IP only this week have no received any callbacks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:18 pm

WilmerHale ding via email. Not IP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:WilmerHale ding via email. Not IP.
They're notorious for quick-dings. At the Loyola patent program they sent dings within one business day. Sorry dood.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”