Biglaw travel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dustin.

Biglaw travel?

Postby Dustin. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:00 am

I was wondering how much travel is involved, if any, as a Biglaw associate?

What about further up the ladder (ex: partner level)?

If travel is a requirement, are you given any input? or do they just send you wherever they want whenever they want?

Thanks.

pandacot

Re: Biglaw travel?

Postby pandacot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 am

I only know a handful of Biglaw associates. None of them have ever mentioned travel, but there could be a minimal amount.

Alternatively, I know a guy who went Biglaw->in-house for an oil company. He spends ~6 months a year traveling to exotic locales, and loves it. Takes a certain type of person to enjoy that much travel. Also, I'm sure his compensation helps dilute the negative affects of travel.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:03 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:24 am

It depends on the firm and their clientele. I worked at a big law firm with mainly foreign clients, and it wasn't uncommon for associates and partners to travel to meet with those clients, conduct interviews and do doc review. Even as a paralegal, I spent over two months overseas in 2009. For firms that take on clients globally, travel will be more frequent than firms with national clients.

As far as having a say in whether or not you travel, I think that will also depend on the firm specific culture. Where I was, it wouldn't have been impossible to turn down a travel opportunity, provided there was a legitimate reason. That said, I didn't see it happen very often and I'm not sure it would be good business.

Return to “Legal Employment”