Backup Plans

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
biggamejames

Backup Plans

Postby biggamejames » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Has anyone else been brainstorming about jobs to apply for if you don't find a legal job? What kind of ideas have you come up with?

Holly Golightly

Re: Backup Plans

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14 pm

If I get Corsair'd, I'm joining the Peace Corps.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Damn, Corsair got no job? Crazy.

Peace Corps is a good idea. I was thinking grade school teacher, too, but I think you need a certification for that.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

ravens9111

Postby ravens9111 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 pm

This is precisely why I am going with the dual JD/MBA program. It is always good to have a back up plan in case things don't work out. As far as what your back up plan should be, that is something you need to figure out. What would you enjoy doing? Find something else you may be passionate about and pursue it. Personally, I don't see the employment picture improving anytime soon. In fact, I think it will remain this way for another four years. If you want to know what the "hot" sectors are, they are recruiting and healthcare. I am sure you would serve a recruiting firm well with a law degree, especially if you focus on employment law. If that doesn't interest you, then look at healthcare administration. There are many Law Schools that offer a dual JD/MHA program. Healthcare is the one sector that continues to grow. Factor in the healthcare bill, and you will see more demand for labor. I thought about that route. However, it did not appear to be what I was looking for. It does have a lot of potential. You certainly should look into it if you think you may enjoy it.

For me, I have said on here I want to go solo. I was bashed for it and was told by many people that it's a mistake. I'm more of the risk taker type so I am willing to take the chance. Since a big law job is not in my future, I am already working towards building a client base in judgment enforcement. You don't have to be a lawyer to do this. I think it is a great tool in building clients while also earning some money. There are collection attorneys out there who are very successful. I am hoping to build my portfolio up to $10 million by time I pass the BAR. It is like a full time job though. It is not for everyone. But, if you are unable to get that SA position it could be a decent alternative.

You may also want to consider bankruptcy law. That has been a hot sector since the downturn. If you can generate your own clients, I am sure you can find a job as a SA. This of course would require you to invest some money in marketing. It can be done though. You can get a slice of the pie focusing in on foreclosures and mailing out a list before the bank files with the court. I would imagine you can work out a deal with the firm so you can get a percentage of the fees and let them do the work if it is done after you go back to school. If you send them 10 deals or more, I think your chances of landing a job with them long term would be pretty good. Again, this would require you to pay for it yourself. IF you can't do that, then that may not be an option. Just something else to consider...

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Firefighting.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Starving poet. Loan collection won't be able to find me if i'm sleeping in the gutters at night, creating the Howl for our generation.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Real Estate sales

Emu Flu

Postby Emu Flu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Electrical engineering

Catalyst

Postby Catalyst » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Actuary

enigmaingr

Postby enigmaingr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:43 pm

ravens9111 wrote:For me, I have said on here I want to go solo. I was bashed for it and was told by many people that it's a mistake. I'm more of the risk taker type so I am willing to take the chance. Since a big law job is not in my future, I am already working towards building a client base in judgment enforcement. You don't have to be a lawyer to do this. I think it is a great tool in building clients while also earning some money. There are collection attorneys out there who are very successful. I am hoping to build my portfolio up to $10 million by time I pass the BAR. It is like a full time job though. It is not for everyone. But, if you are unable to get that SA position it could be a decent alternative.

Right on! I'm exploring the solo route as well but am also pursuing a CFP certificate. I know a recent graduate who went solo and is doing pretty well with bankruptcy. It's definitely doable in the right areas; it's leaps and bounds better than sitting at home and slipping into a deep depression because no firm wanted you. And who knows, the initiative it takes to go solo may impress a small firm down the road if things go sour as a solo.

I've also given thought to federal law enforcement. They love folks with a law degree (it's actually one of the hiring categories for the FBI). Decent pay, adventure, travel, etc.

On a positive note, I'm a little older then the average law student so the bright lights of the big city is not my calling anyhow. I'd be fine even moving up north and being a part-time county prosecutor / solo practitioner. Yes, a lot of rural counties actually have that sort of arrangement.

Return to “Legal Employment”