How many callbacks are too many?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many callbacks are too many?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:05 pm

I have the good fortune of having already received seven callbacks from the patent law interview weekend. I'm still hoping for callback offers from my top two firms. I am also doing my school's OCI program. I'm at a T14 and my credentials are strong. Should I start declining callback offers? I only have a week after my school's OCI before classes start. I am thinking that I can likely not go to more than 6 callbacks that week, especially since I am applying to two cities that I will need to fly to.

I am tempted to cancel at least two of my callbacks now. Is this crazy?

wiseowl

Re: How many callbacks are too many?

Postby wiseowl » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:08 pm

I can pretty much assure you that you would be making a mistake to cancel a callback ITE in lieu of the first day or two of a 2L class unless it's some sort of honor code violation to do so.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have the good fortune of having already received seven callbacks from the patent law interview weekend. I'm still hoping for callback offers from my top two firms. I am also doing my school's OCI program. I'm at a T14 and my credentials are strong. Should I start declining callback offers? I only have a week after my school's OCI before classes start. I am thinking that I can likely not go to more than 6 callbacks that week, especially since I am applying to two cities that I will need to fly to.

I am tempted to cancel at least two of my callbacks now. Is this crazy?

Maybe start scheduling the ones you're less interested in a few weeks out, leaving you some room for ones you are more interested in sooner (in anticipation of getting a CB from them).

From my experience (personal and through friends), doing more than 12-15 CBs gets challenging. At some point you'll need to start declining/cancelling, but I'm not sure you're there yet.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Schedule them all. Once you have an offer on the table you can start cancelling or declining. I've seen people blow as many as 8 callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Yes it's crazy to cancel callbacks at this point. Once you have an offer in hand, you can cancel all the ones that you would not take over that offer. Until then, you can try to schedule interviews in your order of preference (so that you are interviewing with your top firms first), but even that is not always possible.

I think the best approach to try to put some firms off is to quickly get in contact with whomever contacted you about the callback and thank them for the offer and let them know you are excited about it. They should put you in contact with the recruiting people. At that point you can let them know that you are looking forward to scheduling your callbacks and ask what the possible dates might be. Then you can let them know that your schedule is a little uncertain now (graciously explaining the start of school), and ask them if they prefer that you try to schedule your trip with other firms so that the expenses can be split (be very deferential about this one). These statements/questions can usually give you a sense of whether or not it will be to your detriment to push for a later callback.

In the end, though, I would just start counting on missing a good portion of your first month of classes. Your professors should be used to this, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Oh, I also think you shouldn't rule out any of your firms until you have interviewed with them, unless they wind up being in a location you decide against, or clearly don't have a practice area you are interested in. If you are fortunate enough to get a lot of offers, you really want to make an informed decision, and you may find after a couple of interviews that your perspective about what you are looking for changes.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:52 pm

While others are right that it might not be the best idea to cancel/decline CBs before an offer, you may run into the problem of firms filling up their summer programs (sometimes well) before October 1. This means you can't/shouldn't schedule CBs out much further than mid-to-late September. So if you are fortunate enough to end up with 20+ CB offers, you may have to cancel/decline a few.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:While others are right that it might not be the best idea to cancel/decline CBs before an offer, you may run into the problem of firms filling up their summer programs (sometimes well) before October 1. This means you can't/shouldn't schedule CBs out much further than mid-to-late September. So if you are fortunate enough to end up with 20+ CB offers, you may have to cancel/decline a few.

Not likely to be a problem unless you are well over 20 callbacks.
1. If firms are looking to move fast on hiring, then they will be quick to come back with callbacks. This makes it easy to book a lot of interviews in a single trip.

2. If firms are setting up interviews in mid-late September, it's generally because that is the time line they are working on. (Now a law student shouldn't push an interview out that far when they are offered earlier slots unless they are willing to risk putting themselves at a disadvantage -- but doing this is preferable to turning down a call back altogether.)

3. If firms are filling up that fast, you'll probably know whether or not you got an offer pretty early, at which point you can start canceling and declining offers for callbacks worry-free.

They key to scheduling a lot of call backs is not setting up travel sooner than necessary (try to keep in mind things like 14 day advance purchases, but if the offer comes within such windows, waiting another 24 hours or so doesn't usually change anything). Once you get an callback for a slot, unless they tell you to book immediately, give yourself time to fill in more callbacks during that trip. Once you have a reasonably full trip, then set the travel times, if possible getting in as early as possible and leaving as late as possible so that you might be able to squeeze in an extra callback or two.

Lots of callbacks make for a stressful month or two, but in this economy, it's not really something you should either complain about or seek to limit.

Return to “Legal Employment”