Which of these IP firms/depts are most concerned with UG/WE?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which of these IP firms/depts are most concerned with UG/WE?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:31 am

I technically meet the requirements for IP interviews at these places, but in relative terms have a weak educational background (relatively undistinguished BS in cpsc) and no relevant WE despite having graduated about 5 years ago. Which of these places, if anywhere, do I have a shot? Assuming the pure IP places are toughest, but would appreciate any and all feedback.

Cooley
Dechert
Fitzpatrick
Frommer Lawrence
Hogan Lovells
Jones Day
Kenyon & Kenyon
Kirkland & Ellis
Rothwell Figg

Thanks to all.

Anonymous User

Re: Which of these IP firms/depts are most concerned with UG/WE?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Anyone?

dood

Postby dood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Last edited by dood on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Do the surveys break down firms into their IP groups and compare them in terms of selectivity based on UG and WE? I'd be surprised. Chambers doesn't have this sort of info, and doesn't even cover half of these firms.

I figured people around here might have some idea, especially given the number of posters in the Loyola PLIP thread.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I technically meet the requirements for IP interviews at these places, but in relative terms have a weak educational background (relatively undistinguished BS in cpsc) and no relevant WE despite having graduated about 5 years ago. Which of these places, if anywhere, do I have a shot? Assuming the pure IP places are toughest, but would appreciate any and all feedback.

Cooley
Dechert
Fitzpatrick
Frommer Lawrence
Hogan Lovells
Jones Day
Kenyon & Kenyon
Kirkland & Ellis
Rothwell Figg

Thanks to all.

I seriously doubt anyone can answer this question thoroughly. We can give general trends, however, the specific hiring practices for a specific practice group at your list of firms would be difficult to find. As a general matter Patent Prosecution will be heavily technically oriented while Patent Litigation will not (thus your law school grades will matter alot).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:04 pm

digitalcntrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I technically meet the requirements for IP interviews at these places, but in relative terms have a weak educational background (relatively undistinguished BS in cpsc) and no relevant WE despite having graduated about 5 years ago. Which of these places, if anywhere, do I have a shot? Assuming the pure IP places are toughest, but would appreciate any and all feedback.

Cooley
Dechert
Fitzpatrick
Frommer Lawrence
Hogan Lovells
Jones Day
Kenyon & Kenyon
Kirkland & Ellis
Rothwell Figg

Thanks to all.

I seriously doubt anyone can answer this question thoroughly. We can give general trends, however, the specific hiring practices for a specific practice group at your list of firms would be difficult to find. As a general matter Patent Prosecution will be heavily technically oriented while Patent Litigation will not (thus your law school grades will matter alot).

Thanks. I have the grades to be non-IP competitive at the generalist firms, but the hiring medians for the pure IP firms tend to be lower, so I was worried that UG and WE would be much more important. I'm obviously not qualified for prosecution, but even those firms with mainly lit practices seem to have low LS GPA thresholds. Guess I'll just see how it plays out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
digitalcntrl wrote:

Cooley
Dechert
Fitzpatrick
Frommer Lawrence
Hogan Lovells
Jones Day
Kenyon & Kenyon
Kirkland & Ellis
Rothwell Figg

Thanks to all.

Thanks. I have the grades to be non-IP competitive at the generalist firms, but the hiring medians for the pure IP firms tend to be lower, so I was worried that UG and WE would be much more important. I'm obviously not qualified for prosecution, but even those firms with mainly lit practices seem to have low LS GPA thresholds. Guess I'll just see how it plays out.

I feel like the big full service firms are going to care less about your undergrad qualifications (and more about your law school performance), while the IP Botiques are probably going to care more about your undergrad qualifications (even in Lit - it seems pretty uncommon to see a ip litigator at the botiques who does not have a typical ip undergrad degree). This is just a general feeling I get from looking at attorney profiles on websites, and is not based on any knowledge unique to me, so take that for what you will.

So, for example, in your list Jones Day would follow the trend of the former, while Fitzpatrick might follow the trend of the later.

Return to “Legal Employment”