"U have ties to the area" question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"U have ties to the area" question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 pm

A question of the question. Why do firms ask about ties to the area -- to know your potential to bring in customers, to know if you will stay in the area, a mix of those or?
Just wondering.

LurkerNoMore

Re: "U have ties to the area" question

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Its generally another variation of the "why this firm" question. Firms don't want to make offers to people who are using a particular market as a safety. They also don't want to hire people who show no signs of sticking around. Generally they want candidates to know what they are getting into (well maybe not fully 8) ) and therefore they ask lots of questions to see if you just threw darts at a board, or put thought into your decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks. That's sorta what I figured, as the firms would not be really interested in ability to bring in customers until an associate progresses. I placed a few bids on firms in locales besides NY, DC, Chicago and Cali, and I just wanted to know how to approach such a question. I'll probably still ask my question of the question when I get interviewed, but I appreciate your thoughts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. That's sorta what I figured, as the firms would not be really interested in ability to bring in customers until an associate progresses. I placed a few bids on firms in locales besides NY, DC, Chicago and Cali, and I just wanted to know how to approach such a question. I'll probably still ask my question of the question when I get interviewed, but I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but DO NOT ask firms why they care about ties in an interview. They are asking the questions and you need to respect the power dynamic in an interview situation. It'd be almost a sure-fire ding unless you get some quirky person who hates the question too.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. That's sorta what I figured, as the firms would not be really interested in ability to bring in customers until an associate progresses. I placed a few bids on firms in locales besides NY, DC, Chicago and Cali, and I just wanted to know how to approach such a question. I'll probably still ask my question of the question when I get interviewed, but I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but DO NOT ask firms why they care about ties in an interview. They are asking the questions and you need to respect the power dynamic in an interview situation. It'd be almost a sure-fire ding unless you get some quirky person who hates the question too.

Seriously.

The *only* question you should ever question in an interview would be an illegal one (how old are you, do you plan on having kids, etc.) -- and even then there are better ways of handling the question that to say "why do you ask."

Have answers to the questions. If you are really that curious, ask them after you are hired.

Return to “Legal Employment”