References/Contacting 1L summer employers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stinger35

Silver

References/Contacting 1L summer employers

Post by stinger35 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Wondering if, when, and to what extent OCI employers will contact references or past employers.

Just trying to figure out if I need to start preparing reference contact information as well as giving them a heads up. Also, the clerk for the judge I worked for this summer is leaving...I really didnt even get to talk to the judge and am worried I won't be able to get any kind of substantive reference from them.

JPeavy44

New

Re: References/Contacting 1L summer employers

Post by JPeavy44 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 pm

You should probably ask your judge/give them a heads up. Your judge will most likely say yes but it's nice to give them a heads up about it so they're not shocked when someone calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Will firms ask to contact places on your resume that you did not list as a reference? Also, same question as stinger- I've heard that most don't even contact your refs, is this true? Hardly any firms ask for a list in the initial rounds, do they ask you to bring one if you get a callback?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will firms ask to contact places on your resume that you did not list as a reference? Also, same question as stinger- I've heard that most don't even contact your refs, is this true? Hardly any firms ask for a list in the initial rounds, do they ask you to bring one if you get a callback?
This is my number 1 question. I really dont feel comfortable having them contact my judge or one of the other clerks because I simply didn't have much contact with them throughout the summer.

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Post by LurkerNoMore » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:38 pm

For those that interned with judges, definitely speak with them about the issue of references. Start from the premise that judges do not normally serve as references for interns -- let your judge know that you don't expect anything, but that you have heard that some firms will want to reach out anyway. Ask for guidance -- from the clerks, if necessary. Some judges will be more than happy to be contacted, some will not and you'll want a plan b (which is usually to ask one of the clerks you worked for to be listed).

As for references generally, by all means come up with a list. Ask permission to include people on your list. Let them know where you are applying and what you are looking for.

Last year many firms did reference checking, especially the higher up the Vault list you went. Not only that, the questions were more intense last year from those firms that checked references (or so said the profs I spoke with).

Some firms won't bother with reference checking until after callbacks, some will have a file on you by the time you show up, and some won't call them at all. Be prepared for intensive reference checking and you'll be alright not matter what the firm does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Would a firm that checks references only contact those listed as a reference or would they contact individuals you have listed on your resume (say you RA'ed for the summer but listed other individuals as professional references)?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:56 pm

NYAssociate wrote:Covington definitely checks references.
But do they contact all employers? Or just references you give?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:30 pm

What have all of you been doing that you're so afraid an employer might get from a reference?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Nothing. As I said the only permanent clerk that i worked with left. I have no idea what the other clerk would say, if anything, and I spoke to the judge maybe three times the whole summer. Honestly I'd just rather them not get some odd mediocre rec from them

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”