Gifts for secretaries?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IzziesGal

Gifts for secretaries?

Postby IzziesGal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Hey guys! I used to see the lawyers giving their secretaries cash for the holidays at my old firm, and I was just wondering what's an appropriate amount for a first year associate to give. Also, do summers give anything as a thank you at the end of the summer?

Antipodean

Re: Gifts for secretaries?

Postby Antipodean » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:16 pm

This strikes me as heavily firm-specific - I'm not sure if there's a generally prevalent standard. Do you happen to have a mentor at your current firm you trust with this kind of question?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Antipodean wrote:This strikes me as heavily firm-specific - I'm not sure if there's a generally prevalent standard. Do you happen to have a mentor at your current firm you trust with this kind of question?

Good point. :D

Just a random question. I figured TLS'ers would have some info on this from experience.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:19 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Antipodean wrote:This strikes me as heavily firm-specific - I'm not sure if there's a generally prevalent standard. Do you happen to have a mentor at your current firm you trust with this kind of question?

Good point. :D

Just a random question. I figured TLS'ers would have some info on this from experience.

I would get them something at least. My dads a lawyer and he's always filling me in on stuff. One of his things he said is treat the secretaries really well -- they can make your life a ton easier.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Knockglock wrote: One of his things he said is treat the secretaries really well -- they can make your life a ton easier.

...and the custodians, and the cafeteria staff, and security. Never know when you need a vacuum, a PBJ for late night work or you forgot your keys. These people are the ones who make the place run smoothly. Check your corporate policy regarding gifts (i.e. <$10 for feds), but fresh cut flowers are usually a hit with secretaries, especially with the notation of "return the vase and I'll re-fill it." Gift cards (Target, grocery) and fresh baked goods are also appreciated by all support staff. Whether it's appropriate for summer associates to purchase gifts is beyond me, but it'd be hard to frown on any of these small tokens of appreciation.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
Knockglock wrote: One of his things he said is treat the secretaries really well -- they can make your life a ton easier.

...and the custodians, and the cafeteria staff, and security. Never know when you need a vacuum, a PBJ for late night work or you forgot your keys. These people are the ones who make the place run smoothly. Check your corporate policy regarding gifts (i.e. <$10 for feds), but fresh cut flowers are usually a hit with secretaries, especially with the notation of "return the vase and I'll re-fill it." Gift cards (Target, grocery) and fresh baked goods are also appreciated by all support staff. Whether it's appropriate for summer associates to purchase gifts is beyond me, but it'd be hard to frown on any of these small tokens of appreciation.

Great point. Plus many times, people notice how you treat other people, especially those who are in such positions.

I agree, don't give money, that's going to be far more expensive and less personal than some of the gifts above, especially when your a summer.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”