GULC bid results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC bid results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Just went up. I hope I'm doing this all correctly making it anonymously, haha.

13 total

5 NY
6 DC
2 Secondary markets w/ ties

More than I expected, I suppose.

Anonymous User

Re: GULC bid results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just went up. I hope I'm doing this all correctly making it anonymously, haha.

13 total

5 NY
6 DC
2 Secondary markets w/ ties

More than I expected, I suppose.
Surprised you had such good luck with DC.

12, all NYC.

9 of top 10, and nothing below 15.

I thought I bid intelligently (but apparently didn't, since peeps are getting 15 NYC), so this was about where I thought I'd end up in terms of total interviews. Bid some traditionally unpopular secondary markets (Wilmington, for example) lower, and was surprised to get none of them.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:25 pm

15 total, all NY:

14 from lottery
1 from firm I unsuccessfully bid on that contacted me (and other people, I assume) via email

Hoping to pick up a few more over the next two weeks, but I don't know how likely that is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1 from firm I unsuccessfully bid on that contacted me (and other people, I assume) via email

Ropes? I got an email from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1 from firm I unsuccessfully bid on that contacted me (and other people, I assume) via email

Ropes? I got an email from them.

Already? Wow that was fast.

Anybody else hear from any other firms? Just curious how quickly I should give up on hearing from top 20s I have no interview with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 pm

15. Talked to a bunch of people today who only bid on like 10-15 firms and got 5-7 interviews. WTF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:07 pm

14 interviews... aimed at mostly secondary markets (TX, Atl, etc). Got all of my top 9, and a couple outside my top 20 (even got my 31st bid... guess it's not a popular firm). Anybody get more than 15?

I don't even know if I should be happy about these results...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:14 interviews... aimed at mostly secondary markets (TX, Atl, etc). Got all of my top 9, and a couple outside my top 20 (even got my 31st bid... guess it's not a popular firm). Anybody get more than 15?

I ended up with a 41, but missed 10 of my top 20. Weird. I think we got pretty lucky with 14/15. Sounds like that's on the higher end.

I'm a bit disappointed. I ended up missing a lot of safeties/targets and getting most of the reaches. I'd guess this is because people bid conservatively, so it was easier to get the most selective firms and harder to get the less selective firms. I should've factored that in beforehand.....shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:14 interviews... aimed at mostly secondary markets (TX, Atl, etc). Got all of my top 9, and a couple outside my top 20 (even got my 31st bid... guess it's not a popular firm). Anybody get more than 15?

I ended up with a 41, but missed 10 of my top 20. Weird. I think we got pretty lucky with 14/15. Sounds like that's on the higher end.

I'm a bit disappointed. I ended up missing a lot of safeties/targets and getting most of the reaches. I'd guess this is because people bid conservatively, so it was easier to get the most selective firms and harder to get the less selective firms. I should've factored that in beforehand.....shit.

Ya, that's kinda how I figured it would be, but I did the same thing anyway. Funny how fear can do that to you. Anyway, I wanted TX/Atl more than NYC/DC anyway, so I'm starting to feel pretty good about it. Gotta push out resumes and start calling on favors regardless. No room for error ITE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya, that's kinda how I figured it would be, but I did the same thing anyway. Funny how fear can do that to you. Anyway, I wanted TX/Atl more than NYC/DC anyway, so I'm starting to feel pretty good about it. Gotta push out resumes and start calling on favors regardless. No room for error ITE.

For sure. There's some good signs for SA hiring, but I'm taking no chances.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think there's probably some serious self-selection occurring in this thread, as in the UVa thread; the median number of interviews should be well below what everyone here has posted.

The V10 were probably relatively easy to get this year, but I doubt that anyone outside the top 10% has much of a chance at most of them, and the historical GPAs that career services releases are very misleading ITE, especially given the new curve (not much chance of Weil hiring deep into the top 1/3, which is what the GPA data suggests).

Another buddy of mine landed 10 in DC, but he was pretty aggressive with his bids and was happy with the results. Considering 10 was the average last year and most firms either maintained or decreased their interview slots, I would have to agree with you re: self-selection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:13 pm

OP here,

Worth noting most of the firms I got are lower V50 firms and then a bunch in the 51-100 range. I too was surprised at my success in DC, and it was with some of the more popular firms to bid on (Crowell, for example). I also tagged a very highly ranked firm's secondary market office with a bid in the 40s. Pretty happy with the results.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think there's probably some serious self-selection occurring in this thread, as in the UVa thread; the median number of interviews should be well below what everyone here has posted.

What do you mean self selection? As in, people posting here probably better planned out their bids?

The V10 were probably relatively easy to get this year, but I doubt that anyone outside the top 10% has much of a chance at most of them, and the historical GPAs that career services releases are very misleading ITE, especially given the new curve (not much chance of Weil hiring deep into the top 1/3, which is what the GPA data suggests).

.....what about top 15%? :lol:

jchoggan

Postby jchoggan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:24 pm

How do we find out who is actually conducting our interviews?

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:

What do you mean self selection? As in, people posting here probably better planned out their bids?

Well, that may be some of it, but more that those who got hammered are declining to post here.

Anonymous User wrote:

.....what about top 15%? :lol:

I don't know. I'd imagine you have a shot, especially since the top isn't as affected by TE. It's interesting to look at data from the height of the boom. At that time, almost 38% of CLS students were summering in the V10, while less than 10% of GULC students were. Heck, CLS placed a greater percentage of it's students in V10 (37.8%) than GULC did in the V100(34.4%)!

Data from http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/.

Yup. GULC has never placed that well, though TBF some of that might be self selection into government. Can't explain the difference versus peer schools entirely though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:.....what about top 15%? :lol:

If you're section 3, perhaps.

13, and some firms got back to me separately for a couple. Got 1 firm beyond my Top 17 and it was in a secondary market. I may have bid too aggressively and don't have more than a couple "safe" firms (V50-100 is what I mean), so hopefully I'll get some others from resumes/cover letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:.....what about top 15%? :lol:

If you're section 3, perhaps.

13, and some firms got back to me separately for a couple. Got 1 firm beyond my Top 17 and it was in a secondary market. I may have bid too aggressively and don't have more than a couple "safe" firms (V50-100 is what I mean), so hopefully I'll get some others from resumes/cover letters.

I wonder how much non-elite firms will increase class sizes from the historic low last year. I know the upper echelon is, but I'm not sure how much safety firms are.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing my own overly-aggressive bidding.

jchoggan

Postby jchoggan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Ok, since nobody seems to know how or if we can see who conducts our interviews, does anybody know how these numbers compare to previous years? I know bwv said 10 was average last year, right? What about before?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Interviewer information, if the firm has provided it, is available on Symplicity. Shouldn't be too hard for you to find it. Check the EIW listings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Anyone else heard from firms that you didn't get interviews with through Symplicity? I just got two today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else heard from firms that you didn't get interviews with through Symplicity? I just got two today.

Any specifics you can divulge? Class rank? V-range of firms? By e-mail or call? Resume perks that may have weighed in your favor?

(anonymous b/c this obviously implies I haven't heard from firms... :oops: )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else heard from firms that you didn't get interviews with through Symplicity? I just got two today.

Any specifics you can divulge? Class rank? V-range of firms? By e-mail or call? Resume perks that may have weighed in your favor?

(anonymous b/c this obviously implies I haven't heard from firms... :oops: )

Top 10% or 15%, no resume perks to speak of, V50-100, via email.

I've talked to a few other people with similar numbers and better backgrounds who haven't heard from firms either. So I'm confused.

Return to “Legal Employment”