Should I get braces as a 1L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BigA

Should I get braces as a 1L?

Postby BigA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am

Hey I have a serious question. I would actually be starting law school in 2011. I never got braces as a kid. I've had fairly crooked teeth my whole adult life. I'm wondering if the first year-and-half or so of law school would be a good time to have this done. I kind of see it as a good time since I'm not exactly dateable as 1L anyway, being so focused on school. But my concern is that there is a lot of interviewing during first year. Would employers be able to take me seriously? I mean if it could hinder my prospects at all, I wouldn't want to do it.

The other option is to get it done now, but I'm teaching English abroad this year, so it would be difficult and I'd rather not be laughed at by kids, girls etc.

A third option would be some time in the future or not at all. My teeth aren't so bad that it's really noticeable or off-putting. A great smile would be nice though. Anyone care to weigh in

Chris_cpb

Re: Should I get braces as a 1L?

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:38 am

This makes me consider the question of whether products such as "Invisilign" actually work. Google it if it doesn't ring a bell. My uncle tried something similar to this and it worked.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:52 am

I looked into this probably 6-8 years ago. They said this is only for pretty mild corrections. Unfortunately, mine are a little too bad for this, unless something's changed recently.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:00 am

BigA wrote:I looked into this probably 6-8 years ago. They said this is only for pretty mild corrections. Unfortunately, mine are a little too bad for this, unless something's changed recently.

Of course you did, my mistake. I guess then, the real question is:

What is more important to you? Your image as a teacher or as a law school student?

One thing to consider is that professors who are worried about how the females in their class will react to their appearance could potentially be seen as a weakness.

esq

Postby esq » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:21 am

You also need to consider that you will have to wear a retainer all day every day for another year after your braces come off. I say the sooner the better if you ever want to get it done.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:25 am

esq wrote:You also need to consider that you will have to wear a retainer all day every day for another year after your braces come off. I say the sooner the better if you ever want to get it done.

Same, I would say just do it and get it over with. It will suck no doubt, but this is something that will benefit you for the rest of your life. Ask your dentist about "lingual braces." I had to wear braces on the outside like many people in middle school. However, when I went back in for a check up later on they had some issues with my bite and teeth, and they gave me braces again, but this time I was able to get them on the inside, where no one could see them. I wore these for two more years (most of sophmore and junior year of college, just got them off last week), and pretty much forget they were there 99.99% of the time, and no one knew I had them unless I told them and went waaaaaaaaaaay out of my way to show them. I'm not sure if this will work for you since my issues were relatively minor I think, and I had already worn regular braces as a kid. Anyways, I won't go further into detail but if you have questions let me know and I can try and be more detailed in my experiences and situation.

--LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:27 am

esq wrote:You also need to consider that you will have to wear a retainer all day every day for another year after your braces come off. I say the sooner the better if you ever want to get it done.

Imagine a very American "quick-fix" solution to crooked teeth...

But how?

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:11 am

Also braces usually take more than a year, no?. Just get it over with. And no one actually wears their retainer all day everyday.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:02 am

Personally if it were me, I'd rather suck it up and look awkward while teaching abroad than still have them on when 1L and 2L summer job interviews come around. In particular, I would make sure the braces are off by the summer after 1L if you're going to participate in big firm OCI.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 am

BigA wrote:Hey I have a serious question. I would actually be starting law school in 2011. I never got braces as a kid. I've had fairly crooked teeth my whole adult life. I'm wondering if the first year-and-half or so of law school would be a good time to have this done. I kind of see it as a good time since I'm not exactly dateable as 1L anyway, being so focused on school. But my concern is that there is a lot of interviewing during first year. Would employers be able to take me seriously? I mean if it could hinder my prospects at all, I wouldn't want to do it.

The other option is to get it done now, but I'm teaching English abroad this year, so it would be difficult and I'd rather not be laughed at by kids, girls etc.

A third option would be some time in the future or not at all. My teeth aren't so bad that it's really noticeable or off-putting. A great smile would be nice though. Anyone care to weigh in

I'm in a similar situation. I never had braces as a kid and I am seriously considering 1L as the best time to do it. If I'm going to spend a year studying I might as well go through it now rather than latter.

As someone already noted, a big concern would be getting them off before OCI but that's something you would have to try and work out with an orthodontist. I'm sure it will be awkward to have them on during 1L but you're going to be interacting with people your whole life. Like 2pac said "fuck the world if they can't adjust".

esq

Postby esq » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:Also braces usually take more than a year, no?. Just get it over with. And no one actually wears their retainer all day everyday.

Realistically, if the guy wants to retain his new multi-thousand dollar smile, ya he'll probably have to wear it from 6 mo to a year all the time except when eating- in this guys case probably a year because his teeth are really crooked. After that, he'll wear it at night, and for life if he wants to make sure that his teeth don't revert.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:06 pm

If you are going to do this, you need to do it as soon as possible. Yesy, you don't want them on during OCI if you can avoid it, but if I were you I would not want them on even less as a 1st year associate. So since it may take more than a year to finish with them, sooner is much better than later.

The only part of your teaching abroad that gives me pause about recomending to get them today is the abroad part. Where you are teaching will make a huge difference. Japan? I say go for it. Haiti? Only if you can afford a flight to Miami for all your appointments.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Chris_cpb wrote:

Imagine a very American "quick-fix" solution to crooked teeth...

But how?

Cosmetic dentistry and veneers.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:16 pm

I'd just get them now and get it over with.

The vast majority of interviews won't be until you are a 2L/3L anyways. Get it done now, then in a year you could have them taken off before fall OCI as a 2L (if having them bothers you, that is).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Look for an elite premier provider for invisalign in your area. Whether invisalign can fix your teeth will really depend on the experience of the orthodontist with invisalign.

It's practically invisible and usually takes less than a year. I'll be wearing invisalign for my 1L year and plan to finish treatment before OCI season.

Here's a helpful link:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=19

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Do you really need them? How bad are your teeth? They are a massive pain in the ass, and if you don't keep really good care, you'll get cavities.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:02 pm

I vote for the below. An 'American quick fix' or whatever that reference was would be a combination of filing and veneers- if you don't have any bite problems that might be a decent option.

Knockglock wrote:

Same, I would say just do it and get it over with. It will suck no doubt, but this is something that will benefit you for the rest of your life. Ask your dentist about "lingual braces." I had to wear braces on the outside like many people in middle school. However, when I went back in for a check up later on they had some issues with my bite and teeth, and they gave me braces again, but this time I was able to get them on the inside, where no one could see them. I wore these for two more years (most of sophmore and junior year of college, just got them off last week), and pretty much forget they were there 99.99% of the time, and no one knew I had them unless I told them and went waaaaaaaaaaay out of my way to show them. I'm not sure if this will work for you since my issues were relatively minor I think, and I had already worn regular braces as a kid. Anyways, I won't go further into detail but if you have questions let me know and I can try and be more detailed in my experiences and situation.

--LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 pm

i haven't read all the thread, but i thought id let you know-- i want braces too! i have pretty straight teeth but i feel like the front two are out a little too far. invisiline creeps me out (eating while your teeth are mid movement with no protection = dreams of teeth falling out) so i might get them for like, 6 months :) its worth it in the long run!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Invisalign is TCR. I used them as a 1L. My teeth were already pretty straight but now they're perfect. It was well worth the $5000 considering what you're already paying for law school.

Don't underestimate the impact your teeth/smile can have on people, even subconciously.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Invisalign is TCR. I used them as a 1L. My teeth were already pretty straight but now they're perfect. It was well worth the $5000 considering what you're already paying for law school.

Don't underestimate the impact your teeth/smile can have on people, even subconciously.

invisiline scares meeeeee.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:16 pm

well, at least you can just forgo braces.
I'm 27 and look 16. And I refuse to grow a beard.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Well I actually have braces right now and I start law school at the end of this month. I went through with it last December and will have them until around the end of 2011. I have ceramic on top and traditional metallic on the bottom using the new damon system braces. http://www.damonbraces.com/

They really are not bad at all for me. Just use your sonicare brush and water pick and you will be good to go. For me, my confidence actually increased once I had braces on. I felt good about myself for doing something about my crowded teeth. It really does not negatively impact dating much at all from what I can tell. I have hooked up with/casually dated a healthy handful of girls since getting braces.

I think that if your confidence would increase like mine, you should go ahead and do it asap.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:47 pm

lawgod wrote:well, at least you can just forgo braces.
I'm 27 and look 16. And I refuse to grow a beard.

Why? Beards are awesome.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 pm

The only part of your teaching abroad that gives me pause about recomending to get them today is the abroad part. Where you are teaching will make a huge difference.

That's true. I'll be in China, which should have decent dentistry I'd imagine. I'll be in a mid-sized city (for China), so I'd imagine the dentisty would still be decent.

Do you really need them? How bad are your teeth? They are a massive pain in the ass, and if you don't keep really good care, you'll get cavities.

Not terrible, though the bottom are definitely worse than the top. If you met me there's a good chance you wouldn't notice if you're not especially attuned to that sort of thing. The dentist usually brings it up whenever I come in though. I'm sure he's more concerned with the difficulty I have in cleaning some of my teeth.

An 'American quick fix' or whatever that reference was would be a combination of filing and veneers- if you don't have any bite problems that might be a decent option.

Yeah, is this the same as surgery? Because I've thought about that. How much would this run me? I'm guessing expensive. Seems scarier than invisaline too.

For me, my confidence actually increased once I had braces on. I felt good about myself for doing something about my crowded teeth. It really does not negatively impact dating much at all from what I can tell. I have hooked up with/casually dated a healthy handful of girls since getting braces.

Well, that's definitely encouraging, and a bit surprising. I know I'll feel like a gawky teenager again at 28 with braces. I guess I find braces on guys to be pretty unattractive, less so on girls.

Thanks for all the replies. Though not exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll try to get it done this year. If not, I'll probably let it go for a while as I don't see getting it done as a law student or first year associate now. :(

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:16 pm

^ My post is still worth reading and talking to your dentist/orthodontist about. If you are a good candidate for them, you won't regret going that route instead of outside braces.

Return to “Legal Employment”