Passed the Patent Bar Yesterday - Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
haberbe

Passed the Patent Bar Yesterday - Taking Questions

Postby haberbe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I passed the Patent Bar yesterday, and I am bored at work today. I have lurked about on this website for the last year, so I thought I would give back what little I can before 2L starts. Any one have questions about the Patent Bar or anything School/OCI so related? I am Bored, so shoot!

starstruck393

Re: Passed the Patent Bar Yesterday - Taking Questions

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Congrats. If you're bored, here goes: If you had to guess your % right, what would it be? Approx how many questions were repeats from the posted tests? Approx how many did you answer from memory, and how many did you have to look up? Did you cruise, were you worried, or somewhere in the middle? How was your test center? What study method did you use/how much time do you think you put in?

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

towards the end of taking practice tests, I was getting between 80-85% correct. I think I probably did about the same on the real thing, but they do not tell you. At the end, all they say is weather you passed or not.

I studied with the PLI home study course. It comes with a CD that has a bunch of practice tests on it (you can also get many of them online for free at mypatentbar.com). I did the Oct 2002, the April 2003, and the Oct 2003, as well as probably 5 other random tests. I probably looked at about 500 unique questions while studying. I would say that a good 30% of the questions on the actual test were direct, word for word repeats of question I had previously seen.

the repeat questions could be largely answered from memory. There were probably another 30% that could be answered from basic principles, and did not require a look at the MPEP. Of the remainder, most could be looked up easily and quickly with a good search. There were probably only a handful that needed a real detailed scouring of the MPEP to find the answer

I didn't cruise, but I wasn't really worried. If you study and take alot of practice test, you get a very good feeling for what you need to know, and what you need to work on. Once you can take a cold practice test and get above 80%, you are definitely good to go. I felt prepared going in, but there is always that nagging worry that you will still manage to mess up. You can't cruise through studying and still study properly, but once you study properly and are good to go, you can basically cruise through the actual test.

the test center was fine. basically just a big glass room with a bunch of computers and people taking individual tests.

some friends and I went in together on the PLI home study course. it is expensive, but split 4 ways it wasn't so bad. I would definitely recommend it. there are about 30 hrs of lectures to listen to, and a study guide that highlights the main points of the MPEP. it takes about 50 hours to get through this material. This is the real value of the PLI course. You could learn the material all on your own, but it would definitely take more than 50 hours. After that, it is on to the practice test. I took about another 50 hours of just practice tests. This is where you learn to search the mpep efficiently, and to recognize how to answer the questions you will be faced with on the tests. I did not actually read the MPEP, except for chapter 2100. I didn't not even read all of chapter 2100, but if you are going to read any of the mpep, this is the only chapter you really should read. All in all it was probably just over 100 hours of studying spread over two months.

senslogine

Postby senslogine » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm

What was your undergraduate major? Do you know anyone who qualified for the bar with a non-accredited Comp Sci degree and Physics and/or Chemistry?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:31 pm

senslogine wrote:What was your undergraduate major? Do you know anyone who qualified for the bar with a non-accredited Comp Sci degree and Physics and/or Chemistry?

lol

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:06 pm

senslogine wrote:What was your undergraduate major? Do you know anyone who qualified for the bar with a non-accredited Comp Sci degree and Physics and/or Chemistry?

I do. The major wasn't considered adequate, so come of the credits from the major that were deemed permissible were counted, and the remainder of the credit requirement was made up with science credits (note, this person had to take a few extra classes after graduation, though, to get the credits up to the limit...)

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:26 pm

My undergrad was physics. I do not know anyone that qualified based on credits instead of an accepted degree, but there were only about 5 of us in my section that even wanted to take it. I am sure that it is possible, but all of had the right undergraduate degree, so we didn't have to dig into what classes we took and such. Sorry I couldn't be more help on that one. If you go to PTO website, they have a bulletin that list all of the different was yo qualify to sit for the exam. Just take a look at the pdf and see if you qualify. If so, you are likely good to go. As long as you do qualify, your background does not really matter anyway, since the test itself is not technical.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:49 pm

jbarl1 wrote:

lol

This didn't need to be anonymous. For future reference, no post that consists of "lol" ever does.

goldeneagle

Postby goldeneagle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:55 pm

are you going to be a 2L? have you been working while studying?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm cutting it pretty close - I'm taking it tomorrow and haven't had the study time I wanted to have. I'm getting low 70s on 02-03 era practice tests.

Did you find that you finished pretty early assuming you knew what you were doing with the MPEP and familiar questions?

Was there a chapter that seemed disproportionately tested? 1200?

How much PCT?

I also took the PLI course but didn't do all of the mini exams/homework/postcourse stuff due to lack of time.

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:32 pm

goldeneagle wrote:are you going to be a 2L? have you been working while studying?

yes, I am going to be a 2l.. and was working while studying. i was an engineer before i went to school, and i was working as engineer full time while i studied

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm cutting it pretty close - I'm taking it tomorrow and haven't had the study time I wanted to have. I'm getting low 70s on 02-03 era practice tests.

Did you find that you finished pretty early assuming you knew what you were doing with the MPEP and familiar questions?

How much PCT?

I also took the PLI course but didn't do all of the mini exams/homework/postcourse stuff due to lack of time.

when you re-take the 02-03 practice tests, can answer them correctly without looking them up in the mpep. this is important since this is where most of the repeats come from, and teh more you can answer in seconds, the more you will have time to look up. i finished in about two hours, and spend the last hour looking at teh ones i bookmarked, and then did a quick once over all all of them to make sure i didn't screw any up by accident. that brouight me to just under 3 hours for both sections. ther was Alot of pct, but it wan't really just hard stuff, pretty basic stuff about 102 e dates, and teh last day to file certyain corrections and such. maybe 10-12 q's. all the other chapters were abput as expected, but there were from chapt 500 then i would have guessed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm

haberbe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm cutting it pretty close - I'm taking it tomorrow and haven't had the study time I wanted to have. I'm getting low 70s on 02-03 era practice tests.

How much PCT?

when you re-take the 02-03 practice tests, can answer them correctly without looking them up in the mpep. this is important since this is where most of the repeats come from, and teh more you can answer in seconds, the more you will have time to look up. i finished in about two hours, and spend the last hour looking at teh ones i bookmarked, and then did a quick once over all all of them to make sure i didn't screw any up by accident. that brouight me to just under 3 hours for both sections. ther was Alot of pct, but it wan't really just hard stuff, pretty basic stuff about 102 e dates, and teh last day to file certyain corrections and such. maybe 10-12 q's. all the other chapters were abput as expected, but there were from chapt 500 then i would have guessed.

I'm the guy above, and I passed. Zero PCTs in the AM and only 5 on the PM. No 102(e) questions, at all. Tons of appeal, patentability, even weird maintenance fee stuff. It's very strange how different this exam can be for different people. Regardless, it's over!

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Congrats, man! It feels great to be done with it, doesn't it?

bmonuscg

Postby bmonuscg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

I have an undergrad in Engineering and am applying to Law School this Fall cycle, so I'll be a 1L in about a year.

Would you recommend passing the Patent Bar before school? Does this close off any doors or pigeon-hole you into doing Patent Law stuff?

I think I would like to do IP Law (but not necessarily Patent Law...) or some other type of business related law, but I don't want to be "specialized" in one thing before Law School starts.

What do you plan on doing for your internship next summer?

Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:53 pm

bmonuscg wrote:I have an undergrad in Engineering and am applying to Law School this Fall cycle, so I'll be a 1L in about a year.

A. Would you recommend passing the Patent Bar before school? B. Does this close off any doors or pigeon-hole you into doing Patent Law stuff?

I think I would like to do IP Law (but not necessarily Patent Law...) or some other type of business related law, but I don't want to be "specialized" in one thing before Law School starts.

What do you plan on doing for your internship next summer?

Thanks for any advice.

A. Yes
B. Not necessarily

Full disclosure: I passed the patent bar before going to LS. I've spoken to a number of IP attorneys at biglaw firms this summer and the consensus is that, for IP lit, passing the patent bar is becoming a more standard credential amongst attorneys in IP. Be advised, moreover, that IP isn't all math and science (its such a broad range of work - licensing, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, tech transfer, patents etc...). There is a good deal of asset valuation, financial analysis, etc...involved in the practice so you can get your "business related law" fix in many cases.

In sum, while the patent bar is not a prerequisite for patent/IP lit, don't discount the value of passing that thing before LS - hiring attorneys for IP lit groups DO take note.

PS: The patent bar isn't that hard if you study smart 8) . The only downside is the $ you have to shell-out for it.

bmonuscg

Postby bmonuscg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks, that's a helpful response, if I can get my apps done early I might get 'er done.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 pm

When did you pass the patent bar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Rocky Estoppel wrote:When did you pass the patent bar?

Anon poster 2 up. The spring before I went to LS. So far, it has been a godsend in my interviews for a 2L SA gig - 3 CBs (out of like 10 interviews so far, still have 18 interviews to go) at both GP and boutique patent lit firms - all of whom explicitly said that it was a realllly good idea to do it that way. Oh, and my UG engineering degree is not an in-demand discipline, nor do I go to a T-14 LS.

HTH

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Rocky Estoppel wrote:When did you pass the patent bar?

Anon poster 2 up. The spring before I went to LS. So far, it has been a godsend in my interviews for a 2L SA gig - 3 CBs (out of like 10 interviews so far, still have 18 interviews to go) at both GP and boutique patent lit firms - all of whom explicitly said that it was a realllly good idea to do it that way. Oh, and my UG engineering degree is not an in-demand discipline, nor do I go to a T-14 LS.

HTH

Mind pming your UG major/law school? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anon poster 2 up. The spring before I went to LS. So far, it has been a godsend in my interviews for a 2L SA gig - 3 CBs (out of like 10 interviews so far, still have 18 interviews to go) at both GP and boutique patent lit firms - all of whom explicitly said that it was a realllly good idea to do it that way. Oh, and my UG engineering degree is not an in-demand discipline, nor do I go to a T-14 LS.

I studied for the patent bar over the summer while working full-time and took it at the end of the summer after 1L year. The resume I submitted for PLIP, SFIPLA, and OCI stated that I was taking it in August. Although just having that line seemed to help for PLIP (and I'm only interested in IP lit--not patent prosecution), the ability to hand them an updated resume at SFIPLA and OCI and to say something like, "The only change is I passed the patent bar last week," really helped. The interviewer always congratulated me. Because they often have no idea how hard the exam is or how quickly the results are displayed, you can then talk about how the pass rate hovers around 50% despite it being 100 multiple-choice questions, how it's six hours long, how much you studied for it, etc. Many said it was good to get it out of the way, and I'm sure it was one of many factors in helping me get callbacks. Law firms are definitely indicating that they love this credential. I wish I'd taken it before starting law school, but honestly, I don't think I would've understood the material as well then.

Return to “Legal Employment”