Who to address cover letters to

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Journeybound

Who to address cover letters to

Postby Journeybound » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:31 am

Sending out cover letters. Do I address it to the "Hiring Attorney" or "Recruiting Contact" listed in NALP? Also, if I send it to the recruiting contact, do I include their title? Thanks!

Journeybound

Re: Who to address cover letters to

Postby Journeybound » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Any idea?

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Journeybound wrote:Sending out cover letters. Do I address it to the "Hiring Attorney" or "Recruiting Contact" listed in NALP? Also, if I send it to the recruiting contact, do I include their title? Thanks!

I'm always fond of "To Whom It May Concern:" I worked as a attorney recruiter for eight months, and I think I remember a lot of letters saying: "Dear Recruiting Manager:"

It doesn't really matter though, all I was instructed to do was look at what school they went to and their rank, then check and see if they listed and clerkships or law journals. If they passed those points I moved it along for a second review, if not I was told to throw it away.

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Xnegd wrote:It doesn't really matter

+1

My strategy is to check the firm's website and check their form on the NALP directory. Make sure that the address on the envelope is something like:

Name
Title
Address
Law firm name
City, State, Zip

That way even if the person you send it to has moved on you won't run into any problems.

Also consider making your intro broad. Maybe "Dear (contact you mailed it to) and (firm name) recruiting committee" or something like that.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:12 am

If it lists someone as a contact on the firm's OCI profile on Symplicity, then I go with that. Otherwise, To Whom It May Concern.

Return to “Legal Employment”