Did not make journal: How screwed am I?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Did not make journal: How screwed am I?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:57 am

DNCG, median grades, participated in write-on but didn't even make it on a secondary. I only ranked a couple journals because I didn't really want to commit the amount of time a journal requires to a topic that would bore me to tears. I also kind of went out on a bit of a limb with what I wrote about because I wasn't a huge fan of the main case in the write-on packet. I am now questioning the wisdom of these choices. How should one go about explaining this to employers? Is it worth bringing up, or should I wait for them to ask? Am I totally boned?

Re: Did not make journal: How screwed am I?

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 am

Your choices were exceedingly unwise. Ah well!

In re: subject matter - subject matter on a journal is almost totally irrelevant. You read like 1/4 of an article and as an editor your focus is on bluebooking and pulling cases. Very little substantive engagement with the content.

Obviously that doesn't matter now. Don't know what you want us to tell you. You won't be "totally boned" just because you aren't on a journal, but toss it in with medianish grades and you're already fighting an uphill battle. The key is to have something academic you're doing second year. Moot court, clinic, research with a prof - something so that you can deflect a "why no journal" question into "it didn't pan out but I will be the mootiest courtier in the history of ever~~~!"

And definitely don't bring it up voluntarily.

drew

Postby drew » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:10 pm

disco_barred wrote:Your choices were exceedingly unwise. Ah well!

In re: subject matter - subject matter on a journal is almost totally irrelevant. You read like 1/4 of an article and as an editor your focus is on bluebooking and pulling cases. Very little substantive engagement with the content.

Obviously that doesn't matter now. Don't know what you want us to tell you. You won't be "totally boned" just because you aren't on a journal, but toss it in with medianish grades and you're already fighting an uphill battle. The key is to have something academic you're doing second year. Moot court, clinic, research with a prof - something so that you can deflect a "why no journal" question into "it didn't pan out but I will be the mootiest courtier in the history of ever~~~!"

If you're at N or G, you could always do an academic-year clerkship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm

disco_barred wrote:Your choices were exceedingly unwise. Ah well!

Yeah, I know it wasn't the best choice. I probably should've shot a little lower, but at least I'm not stuck doing something I hate. If I do get a job *knock on wood* I think doing what I did will probably make me a lot happier in the long run.

I have one of those. I'm planning on talking about it a lot.

drew wrote:If you're at N or G, you could always do an academic-year clerkship.

I'm looking into that as well. Is that not at all an option at DC, or are you just saying that because they aren't in major markets?

hithere

Postby hithere » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Is it that hard at your school to make "a" journal? A lot of schools you just ask and the secondary journal lets you on (not some uber competitive process). Just ask them to give you a spot and see what happens.

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:49 pm

hithere wrote:Is it that hard at your school to make "a" journal? A lot of schools you just ask and the secondary journal lets you on (not some uber competitive process). Just ask them to give you a spot and see what happens.

If by "a lot of schools" you mean "Berkeley, Yale, and no other schools." Then yes.

nn223

Postby nn223 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:08 pm

you're screwed for a clerkship

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:33 pm

You're not screwed. Will you maybe have to work a little harder and put yourself out there a little more to get noticed? Yes. But other than big law/clerkships, employers generally are willing to look at other things when deciding whether to interview/hire.

drew

Postby drew » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
drew wrote:If you're at N or G, you could always do an academic-year clerkship.

I'm looking into that as well. Is that not at all an option at DC, or are you just saying that because they aren't in major markets?

Not in major markets. (i.e., I don't know if there are USDC's there)

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Is that you, Traydeuce? :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm

hithere wrote:Is it that hard at your school to make "a" journal? A lot of schools you just ask and the secondary journal lets you on (not some uber competitive process). Just ask them to give you a spot and see what happens.

I guess I could give this a go, but I really don't think it works like that. I guess I could call the CSO and ask them if that'd be a possibility. Can't hurt.

nn223 wrote:you're screwed for a clerkship

Not interested.

jennylynn wrote:You're not screwed. Will you maybe have to work a little harder and put yourself out there a little more to get noticed? Yes. But other than big law/clerkships, employers generally are willing to look at other things when deciding whether to interview/hire.

What I am looking for is "biglaw." I'm not saying I want to work for Wachtell or something, but what I meant by "screwed" originally was "will I be able to get an NLJ 250 job."

drew wrote:Not in major markets. (i.e., I don't know if there are USDC's there)

Are you saying you think it would be more favorable to get an academic year clerkship with a Court as compared to an internship with some other sort of employer?

Return to “Legal Employment”