OCI and Political/Judicial Ambitions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI and Political/Judicial Ambitions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Question for those in the know: is this something that would be looked upon as positive or negative by firms. Say, for instance, that a person's answer to "why did you go to law school" would not be quite as thorough/frank if said person left out the fact that he or she had political or judicial ambitions motivating his/her choice to go to law school. As far as I am aware, firms are more likely to take a candidate they believe has the potential/motivation to make partner rather than one who will lateral out after 3/5 years in search of other opportunities. Using this logic, I feel that someone with political or judicial ambitions might be at a disadvantage, since it may detract from that person's credibility when they say, honestly, that they are very interested in pursuing a partner track.

I am not sure whether or not this question has a definite answer, as most firms have their own peculiar quirks, but if anyone who has experience with this could respond, I would really appreciate it.

Anonymous for what I feel are obvious reasons.

Gold

Re: OCI and Political/Judicial Ambitions

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 pm

You went to law school to acquire the skills necessary to work at a law firm and because you want to work at a law firm and because you have law firm wallpaper and stuffed law firms on your bed.

/thread

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

If it weren't a stupid thing to do, you wouldn't have felt the need to hide your identity on an already anonymous internet message board. You answered your own question.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 pm

disco_barred wrote:You went to law school to acquire the skills necessary to work at a law firm and because you want to work at a law firm and because you have law firm wallpaper and stuffed law firms on your bed.

/thread
maybe it's the rum, but this post and disco's previous NY TO 190 post in the Northwestern thread are making my night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:45 pm

These were the types of answers I was anticipating. If anyone has a different perspective I'd be interested to hear the counter arguments.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:These were the types of answers I was anticipating. If anyone has a different perspective I'd be interested to hear the counter arguments.
Interviews are about telling the interviewers true things, but only those true things that help you. You wouldn't tell a normal prospective employer that you have lateral ambitions, why does change for a firm? I would say something optimistic about your openness to finding a career niche in a firm (which you would be stupid not to think anyway as judgeships and senator's seats don't exactly grow on trees).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”