I only got 3 preselects :(

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: I only got 3 preselects :(

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 am

disco_barred wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
drew wrote:Consolation? Misguided, sure.

I don't think many lawyers would have taken the time to explain to the OP that if they were in her unfortunate position of having to attend a T1 and come out under the median they would be "exstatic" to have received 3 pre-screened interviews.

(I know the math is hard, but how many practicing attorneys have been in a situation similar to OP's?)

I don't understand a single sentence in this post.

It takes a while. It's sort of like a magic eye, you have to keep looking at it differently and then it pops out.

The first sentence is in response to what OP might have been looking for by posting. Drew counsels "Consolation?" but notes that seeking consolation from TLS sure may have been "Misguided"

Next, drew compares the Anonymous Internet Message Board Strike Response Force to practicing attorneys by insinuating that... ok, I still have no idea what the second sentence means.

The third sentence implies that since there are a lot of students with credentials at or below median at T1 or worse schools, many practicing attorneys must have been in a similar position. For, uh, some reason.

This is lulzy. Thank you for this.

drew

Postby drew » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
drew wrote:Consolation? Misguided, sure.

I don't think many lawyers would have taken the time to explain to the OP that if they were in her unfortunate position of having to attend a T1 and come out under the median they would be "exstatic" to have received 3 pre-screened interviews.

(I know the math is hard, but how many practicing attorneys have been in a situation similar to OP's?)

I don't understand a single sentence in this post.

It takes a while. It's sort of like a magic eye, you have to keep looking at it differently and then it pops out.

The first sentence is in response to what OP might have been looking for by posting. Drew counsels "Consolation?" but notes that seeking consolation from TLS sure may have been "Misguided"

Next, drew compares the Anonymous Internet Message Board Strike Response Force to practicing attorneys by insinuating that... ok, I still have no idea what the second sentence means.

The third sentence implies that since there are a lot of students with credentials at or below median at T1 or worse schools, many practicing attorneys must have been in a similar position. For, uh, some reason.

This is lulzy. Thank you for this.

Ha. Fair enough. On a second reading, I am actually struggling to understand my nebulous response.

You're all douches, though. 8)

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:14 pm

drew wrote:You're all douches, though. 8)

Uncontested : D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Just as the OP, I only got 3 preselects as well (also 2 alternates - one being biglaw). (I go to Texas and those at UT can now go on Symplicity and see the results)

I was disappointed at first, but after reading these posts and looking at my grades again I think I feel a bit better now.

I had a around a 3.1 GPA and am on a secondary journal. Should I be happy and consider myself lucky being that my grades were pretty bad?

Edit: I got two lottery selects as well - both biglaw

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just as the OP, I only got 3 preselects as well (also 2 alternates - one being biglaw). (I go to Texas and those at UT can now go on Symplicity and see the results)

I was disappointed at first, but after reading these posts and looking at my grades again I think I feel a bit better now.

I had a around a 3.1 GPA and am on a secondary journal. Should I be happy and consider myself lucky being that my grades were pretty bad?

Median grades aren't "bad," per se...they just aren't typically going to get you preselects. So yes, you should probably consider yourself lucky. Congrats on your interviews.

bedbathandbeheadings

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just as the OP, I only got 3 preselects as well (also 2 alternates - one being biglaw). (I go to Texas and those at UT can now go on Symplicity and see the results)

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm

MrKappus wrote:

Median grades aren't "bad," per se...they just aren't typically going to get you preselects. So yes, you should probably consider yourself lucky. Congrats on your interviews.

Median is actually about a 3.4 so yes, I think you should definitely be happy with how it turned out. I'm also at UT, top 20%, and received 9 pre-selects. I was hoping for more, but I'll take it.

wolfmansrazor

Postby wolfmansrazor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Considering I sent out the wrong resume (my resume for 1L Spring OCI!) to 30 employers, I'm pretty amazed that I got even 2 preselects.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:48 pm

wolfmansrazor wrote:Considering I sent out the wrong resume (my resume for 1L Spring OCI!) to 30 employers, I'm pretty amazed that I got even 2 preselects.

Brutal. I spent 3 hours redoing my resume in Word, then promptly began submitting apps through Symplicity w/o uploading the new one, so i feel your pain. I caught it after 2 firms though. 30 firms is :shock:

good luck at your interviews!

Return to “Legal Employment”