I only got 3 preselects :(

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drew

Re: I only got 3 preselects :(

Postby drew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:05 pm

disco_barred wrote:
drew wrote:It's getting real, real douchey in here, real, real quick.

*shrug* to the extent that TLS echoes the elitism of the legal profession, it's largely just that - the echo. It isn't our fault that big firms are desirable and behave the way they do with respect to 1L grades and school pedigree. The economy is basically on fire, unemployed attorneys are roaming the countryside consuming corpses for nourishment, etc. I'm not really sure what the expected result of this thread was.

Consolation? Misguided, sure.

I don't think many lawyers would have taken the time to explain to the OP that if they were in her unfortunate position of having to attend a T1 and come out under the median they would be "exstatic" to have received 3 pre-screened interviews.

(I know the math is hard, but how many practicing attorneys have been in a situation similar to OP's?)

hithere

Postby hithere » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:47 pm

drew wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

*shrug* to the extent that TLS echoes the elitism of the legal profession, it's largely just that - the echo. It isn't our fault that big firms are desirable and behave the way they do with respect to 1L grades and school pedigree. The economy is basically on fire, unemployed attorneys are roaming the countryside consuming corpses for nourishment, etc. I'm not really sure what the expected result of this thread was.

Consolation? Misguided, sure.

I don't think many lawyers would have taken the time to explain to the OP that if they were in her unfortunate position of having to attend a T1 and come out under the median they would be "exstatic" to have received 3 pre-screened interviews.

(I know the math is hard, but how many practicing attorneys have been in a situation similar to OP's?)

Explain to me why anyone would be ecstatic about getting 3 interviews--they are not the same things as offers you know.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hithere

Postby hithere » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:10 pm

disco_barred wrote:I'm really curious if you're just a well executed flame. The steady posting history of various law school disappointments with huge periods in between coupled with a general naivete of the system makes me wonder if you're secretly Mallard having a laugh or something.

I thought Mallard posts anonymously though (hence the recent problems).

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm

drew wrote:
Machine Spirit wrote:^ The problem with asserting that the TS is an elaborate flame based upon "a string of failures" is that, if you're wrong, you come off as an incredibly insensitive jackass. Perhaps not speaking at all, and merely suspecting a "Mallard shtick" would have been more appropriate.

+1. wow. I guess you deserve whatever you get when you post on an internet forum where some solutions to this dilemma are readily available, but geez talk about derailing a thread.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

drew wrote:Consolation? Misguided, sure.

I don't understand a single sentence in this post.

nn223

Postby nn223 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 pm

OP's on moot court and some crap journal (at I think American ) and has shit grades. I'm surprised op got any preselects to be honest.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 pm

MrKappus wrote:
drew wrote:Consolation? Misguided, sure.

I don't understand a single sentence in this post.

It takes a while. It's sort of like a magic eye, you have to keep looking at it differently and then it pops out.

The first sentence is in response to what OP might have been looking for by posting. Drew counsels "Consolation?" but notes that seeking consolation from TLS sure may have been "Misguided"

Next, drew compares the Anonymous Internet Message Board Strike Response Force to practicing attorneys by insinuating that... ok, I still have no idea what the second sentence means.

The third sentence implies that since there are a lot of students with credentials at or below median at T1 or worse schools, many practicing attorneys must have been in a similar position. For, uh, some reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

hithere wrote:
disco_barred wrote:I'm really curious if you're just a well executed flame. The steady posting history of various law school disappointments with huge periods in between coupled with a general naivete of the system makes me wonder if you're secretly Mallard having a laugh or something.

I thought Mallard posts anonymously though (hence the recent problems).

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=mallard&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

@disco: thanks! I couldn't tell if he agreed or disagreed with me, but now I know it's the latter.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm

disco_barred wrote:

rofl

hi_im_josh

Postby hi_im_josh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Postby 12262010 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:32 pm

disco_barred wrote:Threads started by OP. Spanning months, with little to no participation outside of these threads. In chronological order:

*George Mason University School of Law (What are everyone's thoughts on this school? How does it compare to other schools in DC?)
*Are any other 1Ls finding they have a ton of free time? (I thought 1L was going to be a ton of work . . .)
*Anybody hire a tutor to help prep for 1L exams?
*Outline or just organize the class notes? (I just started my outlines, but I have very detailed class notes--better to just study the notes and memorize? Finals are next week and I don't think I will finish my outlines)
*Forgot to talk about the long arm statute on my civ pro exam
*Secondary Journals for prestigious employment (I'm wondering if you can use secondary journals to satisfy the law review requirement a lot of employers have?)
*Below median--any chance at getting a legal job? (preferably federal govt? I haven't gotten my grades back yet, but I am trying to figure out a worst-case scenario. Do below median students land govt. jobs?)
*Just got my grades back-below median, now what
*Temping after law school (Is this a dead end career move or can it lead to a firm gig?)
*OCI tips for below median students
*I only got 3 preselects :(

I am officially, baselessly convinced OP is an elaborate Mallard shtick.

mallard would have a less mediocre shtick

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:34 pm

I go to a better school than OP, I have better grades, and I bet I applied to more firms.

Let me tell you, if the interview schedule comes back tomorrow and I have 3 interviews, I am going to be on top of the freaking world. A fistpump may be involved.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:38 pm

booyakasha wrote:
mallard would have a less mediocre shtick

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 pm

yeah, I'd be pretty happy in op's position with 3 preselects. I did a hell of a lot better at a lower T1 myself, and thus far have four interviews scheduled, and of those, two would likely not have come through without the intervention of contacts. Also have five alternates. Consider myself lucky, while hoping the next couple of rounds are more fruitful, though I already have an interview set with my dream firm. Lots of my friends who were well above median have nothing to show for it yet.

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm

DerrickRose wrote:I go to a better school than OP, I have better grades, and I bet I applied to more firms.

Let me tell you, if the interview schedule comes back tomorrow and I have 3 interviews, I am going to be on top of the freaking world. A fistpump may be involved.

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I entered this thread, barfed, and now i leave.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:36 pm

sandaltan wrote:I entered this thread, barfed, and now i leave.

Take your barf with you, don't leave it in the thread.

profs<3mycomments

Postby profs<3mycomments » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Disco is making me lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:20 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 am

This thread is flame. I go to American, and our preselect results don't come out until Friday. So either OP doesn't go there, or is making up some elaborate ruse for some reason.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:This thread is flame. I go to American, and our preselect results don't come out until Friday. So either OP doesn't go there, or is making up some elaborate ruse for some reason.

+1, good friend of mine is at AU and he hasn't heard anything. Although I don't know if OP said it was American?

Also Disco = hilarious.

DeweyDell

Postby DeweyDell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am

hithere wrote: I thought Mallard posts anonymously though (hence the recent problems).

Wait, what happened to Mallard?

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 am

explain this schtick to me again

Return to “Legal Employment”