I only got 3 preselects :(

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mollie

I only got 3 preselects :(

Postby mollie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:11 pm

All those firms that I applied to and I only got 3 preselects-what is the backup plan if these 3 interviews don't pan out? :(

dresden doll

Re: I only got 3 preselects :(

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Which school do you attend?

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm really curious if you're just a well executed flame. The steady posting history of various law school disappointments with huge periods in between coupled with a general naivete of the system makes me wonder if you're secretly Mallard having a laugh or something.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:19 pm

mollie wrote:All those firms that I applied to and I only got 3 preselects-what is the backup plan if these 3 interviews don't pan out? :(

If I were you, I would know everything I could learn about the 3 law firms in ways that other candidates won't - i.e. things other than the law firm's website

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:
mollie wrote:All those firms that I applied to and I only got 3 preselects-what is the backup plan if these 3 interviews don't pan out? :(

If I were you, I would know everything I could learn about the 3 law firms in ways that other candidates won't - i.e. things other than the law firm's website

For a 20 min interview? Creepy.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:21 pm

If your school had a preselect OCI, you shouldn't have been counting on getting a job through OCI anyways.

Posner

Postby Posner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm

I know people from other schools that only received one or two OCI interviews, got a callback and got an offer. It only takes one.

Of course, this is more of an exception than common occurrence, but just go into the interviews prepared, do mock interviews, and learn as much about the firm as you can. All you can do is try your hardest.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
yellowjacket2012 wrote:

For a 20 min interview? Creepy.

Ah yes, I would try to be uncreepy about the type of information I seek - when I said what I said, I didn't mean go buy information records for the lawyers and check out their speeding tickets - I meant, try to see if the firm has participated in some law school event, or professional event, just Google them and see if they've given a presentation somewhere.

Your comparative advantage is that you can dedicate more time resources to these 3 firms, relative to somebody who has 15 pre-selects who just cannot do the same level of research. I would actually spin this around and say that you're one of the few people who can shine in an interview compared to other people wiht a dozen other pre-selects by showing that you're more interested in the firm.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Threads started by OP. Spanning months, with little to no participation outside of these threads. In chronological order:

*George Mason University School of Law (What are everyone's thoughts on this school? How does it compare to other schools in DC?)
*Are any other 1Ls finding they have a ton of free time? (I thought 1L was going to be a ton of work . . .)
*Anybody hire a tutor to help prep for 1L exams?
*Outline or just organize the class notes? (I just started my outlines, but I have very detailed class notes--better to just study the notes and memorize? Finals are next week and I don't think I will finish my outlines)
*Forgot to talk about the long arm statute on my civ pro exam
*Secondary Journals for prestigious employment (I'm wondering if you can use secondary journals to satisfy the law review requirement a lot of employers have?)
*Below median--any chance at getting a legal job? (preferably federal govt? I haven't gotten my grades back yet, but I am trying to figure out a worst-case scenario. Do below median students land govt. jobs?)
*Just got my grades back-below median, now what
*Temping after law school (Is this a dead end career move or can it lead to a firm gig?)
*OCI tips for below median students
*I only got 3 preselects :(

I am officially, baselessly convinced OP is an elaborate Mallard shtick.

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:35 pm

^ The problem with asserting that the TS is an elaborate flame based upon "a string of failures" is that, if you're wrong, you come off as an incredibly insensitive jackass. Perhaps not speaking at all, and merely suspecting a "Mallard shtick" would have been more appropriate.

drew

Postby drew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:^ The problem with asserting that the TS is an elaborate flame based upon "a string of failures" is that, if you're wrong, you come off as an incredibly insensitive jackass. Perhaps not speaking at all, and merely suspecting a "Mallard shtick" would have been more appropriate.

+1

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:^ The problem with asserting that the TS is an elaborate flame based upon "a string of failures" is that, if you're wrong, you come off as an incredibly insensitive jackass. Perhaps not speaking at all, and merely suspecting a "Mallard shtick" would have been more appropriate.

Haha I was going to say that if he's wrong, he's equating this person's life to Mallard's imagination of the most incompetent person possible. Pretty cold, lol.

spondee

Postby spondee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:45 pm

+1.

OP, if you're below median at a school with preselect OCI, you probably already know that you're very unlikely to receive an offer that way. You should be looking and applying elsewhere already.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 pm

spondee wrote:

+1.

OP, if you're below median at a school with preselect OCI, you probably already know that you're very unlikely to receive an offer that way. You should be looking and applying elsewhere already.

Agreed.

Also, to my knowledge neither HYS nor CCN does preselect OCI. This means OP is at MPBV at best and should have been wary of fully relying on OCI to begin with.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm

dresden doll wrote:Also, to my knowledge neither HYS nor CCN does preselect OCI. This means OP is at MPBV at best and should have been wary of fully relying on OCI to begin with.

1) V is the only T14 that pre-selects

2) What on earth makes you think OP is at a T10?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:
spondee wrote:

+1.

Agreed.

Also, to my knowledge neither HYS nor CCN does preselect OCI. This means OP is at MPBV at best and should have been wary of fully relying on OCI to begin with.

OP is at a lower T1...American, I believe.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:53 pm

MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
spondee wrote:

+1.

Agreed.

OP is at a lower T1...American, I believe.

If that is correct, I do not quite understand why OP was e-crying and lamenting poor results. He/she shouldn't have expected any better with below median grades at a lower T1.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm

I completely agree. If I were median or below at American and got 3 preselects I'd be ecstatic (and bewildered). And probably wondering if I'm on Law School Candid Camera (which I believe would be a hilarious show...so many possibilities).

drew

Postby drew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 pm

It's getting real, real douchey in here, real, real quick.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

drew wrote:It's getting real, real douchey in here, real, real quick.

*shrug* to the extent that TLS echoes the elitism of the legal profession, it's largely just that - the echo. It isn't our fault that big firms are desirable and behave the way they do with respect to 1L grades and school pedigree. The economy is basically on fire, unemployed attorneys are roaming the countryside consuming corpses for nourishment, etc. I'm not really sure what the expected result of this thread was.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 pm

disco_barred wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Also, to my knowledge neither HYS nor CCN does preselect OCI. This means OP is at MPBV at best and should have been wary of fully relying on OCI to begin with.

1) V is the only T14 that pre-selects

As far as point 1, good to know.

As far as point 2, I wanted to assume the best case scenario before criticizing OP for 1) crying over 3 preselects and 2) not having a back up plan. Hth.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 pm

bwv812 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

The same logical leap that made you think it was a mallard alt?

I can feel the presence of the duck.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 pm

nealric wrote:If your school had a preselect OCI, you shouldn't have been counting on getting a job through OCI anyways.

:\

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 pm

nealric wrote:If your school had a preselect OCI, you shouldn't have been counting on getting a job through OCI anyways.

THIS< FREAKING THIS>
It does not matter if the OP goes to T1, t2, t3, has a limp, is a ginger, scored in the top or bottom half of his class. What matters is have a freaking backup plan besides I'm letting everyone but me decide my fate for me then asking people on the internetz what I should do now. All those should be hints that you're DOING IT WRONG. What comes after be completely reactive in your job search? Blaming everyone other than you for not having a job when your entire job search stargety was somome else finding a job for you.

Figure out what the F your plan B should be, and that rarely includes asking advice on the internetz from people not in your market, at your school, who don't know your situation. You pay alot of money for a CSO, go see them.

Return to “Legal Employment”