A quick note on abuse of the anonymous feature. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

A quick note on abuse of the anonymous feature.

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:15 am

If you see what you consider to be abuse of the anon feature, simply report the post and a moderator will check it out as soon as possible. What we would ask that you refrain from doing is posting in the thread to "call out" the purported instance of anonymous posting abuse.

Posts like "Nice use of the anon feature dillhole!" accomplish nothing and serve only to clutter the forums. Unless of course the poster's username is "dillhole" and you are genuinely complimenting that person on well-executed use of the anon feature, in which case, go for it.

To sum up: Just report the post please.

Gold

Re: A quick note on abuse of the anonymous feature.

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:23 am

So tempted to respond to this post anonymously.

Honestly, though, this is probably TCR. I used to call out anon posters, but, the abuse of the feature is so rampant these days it's not even really worth it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 am

mistergoft wrote:So tempted to respond to this post anonymously.

Honestly, though, this is probably TCR. I used to call out anon posters, but, the abuse of the feature is so rampant these days it's not even really worth it.
This.

I still find it really annoying, however.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:29 am

dresden doll wrote:

This.

People calling out anonymous posters bothers me far more than abuse of the feature.

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Posts like "Nice use of the anon feature dillhole!" accomplish nothing and serve only to clutter the forums. Unless of course the poster's username is "dillhole" and you are genuinely complimenting that person on well-executed use of the anon feature, in which case, go for it.
So, for the record... if we know who the anonymous person is... we should tell everyone? Awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am

booyakasha wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

This.

People calling out anonymous posters bothers me far more than abuse of the feature.
Agreed

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 am

Speaking of "abuse" of the anonymous feature... I hope mods construe this somewhat narrowly. I've seen people call polite, on-topic posts "abuse" because they didn't consider them to contain particularly controversial or sensitive information. At least for me, I am pretty self-conscious about expressing even certain seemingly uncontroversial employment-related opinions or sharing uncontroversial employment/interview experiences. Maybe that's over-protective, but it's how I feel. I wouldn't want somebody second-guessing whether my post "warrants" anon feature use, unless the post is somewhow truly inappropriate for the thread or abusive towards another poster.

Edit: when I say "second-guessing" I am referring to a mod outing a poster because of an opinion that the anon feature was being abused.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:53 am

Aeroplane wrote:Speaking of "abuse" of the anonymous feature... I hope mods construe this somewhat narrowly. I've seen people call polite, on-topic posts "abuse" because they didn't consider them to contain particularly controversial or sensitive information. At least for me, I am pretty self-conscious about expressing even certain seemingly uncontroversial employment-related opinions or sharing uncontroversial employment/interview experiences. Maybe that's over-protective, but it's how I feel. I wouldn't want somebody second-guessing whether my post "warrants" anon feature use, unless the post is somewhow truly inappropriate for the thread or abusive towards another poster.
+1. It's important to keep in mind one thing the anon feature does is de-sync your post with your history.

Example: My resume is chock full of Chicago experience, and I want to work in Chicago. But I have heard some bad things about Mayer Brown and want to talk about it, plus ask questions about Texas. I am a long time poster and fairly traceable. If I post under my real moniker, in the unlikely but plausible event of stalking my views are "on the record." Even if I'm not revealing clandestine info about myself (grades, school, etc.) or first-hand employment gossip, by posting anonymously I mitigate, to some extent, the damage that would occur if an employer searched posting history.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:55 am

Darn, I was going to respond anonymously but I see that idea has already been considered and rejected by other posters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:35 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:Speaking of "abuse" of the anonymous feature... I hope mods construe this somewhat narrowly. I've seen people call polite, on-topic posts "abuse" because they didn't consider them to contain particularly controversial or sensitive information. At least for me, I am pretty self-conscious about expressing even certain seemingly uncontroversial employment-related opinions or sharing uncontroversial employment/interview experiences. Maybe that's over-protective, but it's how I feel. I wouldn't want somebody second-guessing whether my post "warrants" anon feature use, unless the post is somewhow truly inappropriate for the thread or abusive towards another poster.
+1. It's important to keep in mind one thing the anon feature does is de-sync your post with your history.

Example: My resume is chock full of Chicago experience, and I want to work in Chicago. But I have heard some bad things about Mayer Brown and want to talk about it, plus ask questions about Texas. I am a long time poster and fairly traceable. If I post under my real moniker, in the unlikely but plausible event of stalking my views are "on the record." Even if I'm not revealing clandestine info about myself (grades, school, etc.) or first-hand employment gossip, by posting anonymously I mitigate, to some extent, the damage that would occur if an employer searched posting history.
Use of the anon feature, even potentially dubious use thereof, offends ye olde moderation team far less than 10 posts of "THATS ANON ABUSE ASSHOLE"

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:36 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Use of the anon feature, even potentially dubious use thereof, offends ye olde moderation team far less than 10 posts of "THATS ANON ABUSE ASSHOLE"
Yeah, that's the impression I had. Solid choice; appreciated.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

presh wrote:Given how often this comes up, you might consider making this a sticky. Just a suggestion.
Done.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

What is the official policy on revealing the identities on mis-users of said Anon features?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:50 pm

General Tso wrote:What is the official policy on revealing the identities on mis-users of said Anon features?
It happens, or not, according to the sole discretion of the moderators. By posting anonymously, you assume the risk of being outed.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:55 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
General Tso wrote:What is the official policy on revealing the identities on mis-users of said Anon features?
It happens, or not, according to the sole discretion of the moderators. By posting anonymously, you assume the risk of being outed.
not sure that I agree with that discretion. seems to allow favoritism...eg) someone took an anon potshot at my TTT yesterday and rather than out them, VW deleted the post. I get the feeling that if I took an anon potshot (which I never have and probably never will), that I'd be outed.

I think there should be a uniform policy.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 pm

General Tso wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
not sure that I agree with that discretion. seems to allow favoritism...eg) someone took an anon potshot at my TTT yesterday and rather than out them, VW deleted the post. I get the feeling that if I took an anon potshot (which I never have and probably never will), that I'd be outed.

If you don't like the policy, don't post anonymously.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:08 pm

General Tso wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

You're hilarious.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:55 pm

The feature drives me fucking nuts. But, in the spirit of community consensus and cooperation I hereby pledge to stop bitching about it in threads.

However, I reserve this one single post on the entire board as my rant space, to be edited as the whim strikes me, to gripe about the stupidity of an anonymous feature on a pseudonymous internet board.

Edit away, bro.

-SBL

GODFUCKINGDAMMIT
Last edited by Renzo on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:20 pm

General Tso wrote:not sure that I agree with that discretion. seems to allow favoritism...eg) someone took an anon potshot at my TTT yesterday and rather than out them, VW deleted the post. I get the feeling that if I took an anon potshot (which I never have and probably never will), that I'd be outed.

See, this is another reason not to just delete posts (as was suggested in the other mod behavior thread). If I do it I get accused of favoritism. I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Also, if anyone is unaware, the red exclamation point in the lower-right corner of every post is the report button. You can click that to report the post, and when it asks, type in "abuse of anon feature" or something like that for why you're reporting it. It actually took me a long time to realize that was there and how to use it, myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:40 pm

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:12 am

what exactly is an abuse of the anon feature? when can't you use it?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:what exactly is an abuse of the anon feature? when can't you use it?
the top of this and every other screen on this forum wrote: Forum rules

Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 am

Let's keep in mind that a) your username is not your real name b) you reveal on here what you choose to reveal and c) it's easy as pie to stop using your moniker, discontinue your old moniker, make a new one, and post under that. So long as you don't go back and forth, we don't care. I don't understand the ridiculous attachment to usernames. If you are really pissing your pants that an employer might out you from the word Chicago on your resume, you should really rethink what you post on here.

Also, you can edit all your posts to be blank.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”