1L Summer Job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 am

I'm currently a 0L and had a question about 1L summer. I have a connection with someone back at home who told me that she could most certainly get me an internship with her firm during my first summer. However, the firm is a personal injury firm; the kind that has TV commercials, etc. Now I know that personal injury work is seen as the lowest rung of the legal ladder, but would working for such a firm during 1L summer be a detriment to me in the future, even if I don't plan on continuing in the field of PI work? such as when I am doing OCI afterward? Or is the idea of doing ANY firm job during 1L summer, especially one that is pretty much waiting for me if I choose to take it, something I shouldn't pass up?

dood

Re: 1L Summer Job

Postby dood » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:10 am

Last edited by dood on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:11 am

PI = awesome. :)

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:12 am

interested in seeing the replies to your questions OP. im a 0L so i cant be of much help.. tagged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 am

dood wrote:what do you want to do? if you say something like patent law, then working at the personal injury firm is just retarded. but i dunno, if u'r interested in mass torts or some shit even semi-related, perhaps it would be worth it just to give u something related to talk about during 2L OCI. and if u'r paid a lot, that helps too...but somehow i doubt that for phone book firm. and im assuming u dont wanna do PI after law school.

i had some choices for 1L summer...among them was a judicial internship for federal judge, which is what i did on the advice of several lawyers i spoke to. just a week ago during loyola patent career fair interviews every interviewer asked me about my judge and i even noticed one interviewer circled my internship on my resume. HTH

Nah, def not patent law. However, I'm still pretty open to various other areas and look forward to feeling things out and seeing what I like. Obviously I hope to have the sort of options you had, since your judicial internship sounds like it helped during interviews. I just hear much about how it is so hard for 1L's to get some type of firm job. So when I heard that I could get an internship even with a PI firm, that it might be something worth looking into.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:19 am

dood

Postby dood » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 am

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 am

dood wrote:my torts prof told us about a guy who graduated at the bottom of their class at NU, realized he was fucked unless he took drastic measures. so he advertised himself as "mad junk-yard dog mcgee" or something like that. then he just PAPERED the city with ads claiming he would fight like a ad junk-yard dog for any client. and he took all sorts of shit that wouldnt survive rule 12(b)(6) and made his opponents scared of his reputation, then settled out of court. according to the prof, his reputation in chicago was so frightening that within a year, a white-shoe firm picked him up just to list him on their website to intimidate other firms. the best part was that the dude was apparently one of the nicest guys ever.

Lol, now that's effort.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:58 am

dood wrote:my torts prof told us about a guy who graduated at the bottom of their class at NU, realized he was fucked unless he took drastic measures. so he advertised himself as "mad junk-yard dog mcgee" or something like that. then he just PAPERED the city with ads claiming he would fight like a ad junk-yard dog for any client. and he took all sorts of shit that wouldnt survive rule 12(b)(6) and made his opponents scared of his reputation, then settled out of court. according to the prof, his reputation in chicago was so frightening that within a year, a white-shoe firm picked him up just to list him on their website to intimidate other firms. the best part was that the dude was apparently one of the nicest guys ever.

This just made me lol irl.

wannabealonghorn

Postby wannabealonghorn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 am

I think working at a PI firm over your 1L summer can be beneficial regardless of what practice area you are interested in. As a 1L intern, you will not likely be doing practice specialized works. Rather, you will most likely be doing general research and writing. I worked at a PI firm myself this summer and was able to get plenty of research and writing experience which is a useful skillset for most if not all law students looking for a 2L summer job.

I would say go for it! 1L firm jobs are rare.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 am

My view on post-1L work is "If it pays, do it." This is law school; we're all poor. Employers won't be bowled over by PI work at a minute firm, but you can spin it into some kind of valuable experience. It certainly won't look any worse than most people's unpaid internships at Random Government Office X, and at least you'll make a little scratch.

Just to cover your bases though, I'd recommend (if you get an A in a class) approaching one of your professors and asking about doing 10-20 hrs a week of RA work over the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:My view on post-1L work is "If it pays, do it." This is law school; we're all poor. Employers won't be bowled over by PI work at a minute firm, but you can spin it into some kind of valuable experience. It certainly won't look any worse than most people's unpaid internships at Random Government Office X, and at least you'll make a little scratch.

Just to cover your bases though, I'd recommend (if you get an A in a class) approaching one of your professors and asking about doing 10-20 hrs a week of RA work over the summer.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try my best to keep all options open.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 0L and had a question about 1L summer. I have a connection with someone back at home who told me that she could most certainly get me an internship with her firm during my first summer. However, the firm is a personal injury firm; the kind that has TV commercials, etc. Now I know that personal injury work is seen as the lowest rung of the legal ladder, but would working for such a firm during 1L summer be a detriment to me in the future, even if I don't plan on continuing in the field of PI work? such as when I am doing OCI afterward? Or is the idea of doing ANY firm job during 1L summer, especially one that is pretty much waiting for me if I choose to take it, something I shouldn't pass up?

Do it. It pays and will expose you to a field of law that your first year won't cover heavily. PI lawyers have a poor reputation for little reason other than snobbery. If you're really good at it, you'll make more than Biglaw partners.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:43 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 0L and had a question about 1L summer. I have a connection with someone back at home who told me that she could most certainly get me an internship with her firm during my first summer. However, the firm is a personal injury firm; the kind that has TV commercials, etc. Now I know that personal injury work is seen as the lowest rung of the legal ladder, but would working for such a firm during 1L summer be a detriment to me in the future, even if I don't plan on continuing in the field of PI work? such as when I am doing OCI afterward? Or is the idea of doing ANY firm job during 1L summer, especially one that is pretty much waiting for me if I choose to take it, something I shouldn't pass up?

Do it. It pays and will expose you to a field of law that your first year won't cover heavily. PI lawyers have a poor reputation for little reason other than snobbery. If you're really good at it, you'll make more than Biglaw partners.

This.

People seem to hate PI lawyers b/c they can make a great living (like biblo said, usually more than biglaw peeps), work better hours, have a lot more fun and work on a lot more interesting stuff, and actually get to help people without having gone to a prestigeous school or slaved away in biglaw for 5 years. That and they view them as greedy and unethical, which couldn't be further from the truth from my experience (ethically, that is, they are a little money hungry :wink: ).

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

PI lawyers work solo, often attended lower-ranked law schools, and have to advertise their services publicly. Because of this, they often get a bad rap (after all, ads on bus benches in South LA that say "¿Manejaste borracho? ¡Necessitas un abogado!" don't exactly ooze credibility.) That said, the work can be fun, there's nothing evil about helping people who were *legitimately* wronged obtain just compensation, and there's lots of money out there if you're good.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:PI lawyers work solo, often attended lower-ranked law schools, and have to advertise their services publicly. Because of this, they often get a bad rap (after all, ads on bus benches in South LA that say "¿Manejaste borracho? ¡Necessitas un abogado!" don't exactly ooze credibility.) That said, the work can be fun, there's nothing evil about helping people who were *legitimately* wronged obtain just compensation, and there's lots of money out there if you're good.

An amusing misconception is that those TV lawyers are bottom rung. It might not look glamorous, but those ads cost a pretty penny - from what I gather, any firm advertising on daytime TV is probably doing better than alright for itself. And if you're just looking for megabucks, doing plaintiff's side work (and being good at it) is a much faster road to riches than slaving up to partnership.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Hmm, seems like there are certainly some merits to considering this internship. Guess I will make sure to keep in contact with the woman who works there (as a secretary or paralegal I believe), since she said the firm is always looking around for interns.

Return to “Legal Employment”