Need clarification on OCI and independently applying-1L jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sibley

Need clarification on OCI and independently applying-1L jobs

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 pm

I've been reading all the 1L summer job tips and have gotten myself a little confused. The posts say to apply to positions you're interested in at the very start of December. And to do OCI and hopefully be selected for interviews at places you're interested in.

If you send out cover letters and resumes in December will the places you send those to be contacting you independently of OCI? Or will they be interviewing you at OCI independent of which places your school sets you up an interview with? Do you have to apply in December in order to participate in OCI or what exactly is the dependence/exclusivity/etc of the two?

vanwinkle

Re: Need clarification on OCI and independently applying-1L jobs

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Even at the top law schools there are very few firms that participate in 1L OCI. I'd just say blanket everywhere, don't wait for OCI, and if you get to the OCI and don't have anything yet, participate in the OCI.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Even at the top law schools there are very few firms that participate in 1L OCI. I'd just say blanket everywhere, don't wait for OCI, and if you get to the OCI and don't have anything yet, participate in the OCI.

So they are independent though connected. Is there any chance that you might apply to a firm in December that also covers OCI, not hear from them, then have them interview you at OCI? 1) Would they possibly do so if they liked you but not enough went you sent in your letter? 2) Would they just 'save' your interview for OCI on purpose if they knew they were going to your school?

Thanks for responding- I'm glad you did; I just finished reading your post on the topic.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:28 pm

I'll save you some worry: you're not getting a firm job your 1L summer, unless it's through a diversity scholarship or a close family relation. You'll do a mass mailing, like everyone else, but since nothing will come of it, there's no real need to worry too much about it.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Renzo wrote:I'll save you some worry: you're not getting a firm job your 1L summer, unless it's through a diversity scholarship or a close family relation. You'll do a mass mailing, like everyone else, but since nothing will come of it, there's no real need to worry too much about it.

heh. thanks. you don't know that but I'm not really interested in firm work, anyway. I'll apply to see what comes of it and take it, if offered, if it seems like a good choice for me. but if I can't find anything outside of that I will do firm work with a family friend.

Return to “Legal Employment”