Declining preselects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Declining preselects

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm

So you get some preselects for some interviews...and you decide you don't want to do a few of them. Any harm from declining them? Or do they just think you're weird?

rando

Re: Declining preselects

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:59 pm

They likely won't even think twice about it. As in noting that you, in particular, declined them.

Though why would you decline an interview?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 pm

I'd go and use them as interview practice. You never know, you may be surprised...

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 pm

if you really don't want the interview let someone else take them

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 pm

I find these types of threads to be my newest TLS-related pet peeve.

If you don't want an interview, decline it. No one is going to cry or care.

drewtltl

Postby drewtltl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm not sure if this was your situation but fwiw, I was in a similar situation. However, I bid on 4 firms at a preselect job fair that I subsequently received screening interviews with through my school's OCI. I had to accept the interview through the school and needed to decline the other interviews. The CSO said to write a short email notifying the firm that I was declining the preselect interview at the one fair because I learned I was interviewing with them at my school's fair. They all replied saying thanks for the note etc. All this might not have been necessary, however, it seems like the polite thing to do. Besides, why leave it up in the air for the firm to decide, "Oh he or she must not be interested. Pass." If your situation is just that you don't want to interview then I don't see a reason to do this, but I really don't see why you wouldn't just take the interview ITE.

drew

Postby drew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 pm

I've heard that the legal recruiting community is tight knit and very Big Brother-esque with its record keeping. Write a polite email declining the interview. If you don't, they're going to remember it.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 pm

drew wrote:I've heard that the legal recruiting community is tight knit and very Big Brother-esque with its record keeping. Write a polite email declining the interview. If you don't, they're going to remember it.

Um, no, not for declining a preselect. (that's why firms select alternates)...

drew

Postby drew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
drew wrote:I've heard that the legal recruiting community is tight knit and very Big Brother-esque with its record keeping. Write a polite email declining the interview. If you don't, they're going to remember it.

You're right. That's the sole reason that firms select alternates. They're actually quite pleased when they have to do more work because, ITE, you aren't interested in considering their firm but decided to bid on it anyway.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 pm

drew wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

You're right. That's the sole reason that firms select alternates. They're actually quite pleased when they have to do more work because, ITE, you aren't interested in considering their firm but decided to bid on it anyway.

I'm sorry, but your series of posts just don't make sense. You simply don't need to write an apology note for turning down a preselect. There are many factors for why you might bid a firm and then turn down the preselect. Maybe there's a limit to how many you can select, maybe you were trying to cover your bases by bidding on a secondary market that you reconsidered, maybe that firm is interviewing on the same day that 10 other firms that you were preselected for... there's a lot of valid reasons for turning down a preselect.

Regardless of why you turn down the preselect, you don't need to apologize. You do need to apologize if you accept a preselect and later cancel the interview.

drew

Postby drew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:18 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
drew wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

I'm sorry, but your series of posts just don't make sense. You simply don't need to write an apology note for turning down a preselect. There are many factors for why you might bid a firm and then turn down the preselect. Maybe there's a limit to how many you can select, maybe you were trying to cover your bases by bidding on a secondary market that you reconsidered, maybe that firm is interviewing on the same day that 10 other firms that you were preselected for... there's a lot of valid reasons for turning down a preselect.

Regardless of why you turn down the preselect, you don't need to apologize. You do need to apologize if you accept a preselect and later cancel the interview.

I apologize, I did misunderstand. I assumed that when you were awarded a preselect, they automatically scheduled an interview with you through symplicity. I equated it to cancelling that interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”