Ratio of Interviews to Callbacks/Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ratio of Interviews to Callbacks/Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Anyone have a sense of how many interviews it takes to be "safe" at OCI?

I attend a T1 in the Southeast and have 17 interviews, all in Southeastern markets, coming up. Most of the firms are regional firms or regional offices of Biglaw. Anyways, from perusing NALP, it seems like most of the offices took a handful of associates in 2010(eg King and Spalding- Atlanta 8 SAs, Greenberg- Miami 4 SAs). I know at some T14 schools, having 20+ interviews may be average, but I doubt that is the case at my school.

Anyways, I was just wondering if I should feel "safe" with the number of interviews I have. I really don't care where I end up, as long as I get a 2011 summer associate position somewhere.

FlightoftheEarls

Re: Ratio of Interviews to Callbacks/Offers

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a sense of how many interviews it takes to be "safe" at OCI?

I attend a T1 in the Southeast and have 17 interviews, all in Southeastern markets, coming up. Most of the firms are regional firms or regional offices of Biglaw. Anyways, from perusing NALP, it seems like most of the offices took a handful of associates in 2010(eg King and Spalding- Atlanta 8 SAs, Greenberg- Miami 4 SAs). I know at some T14 schools, having 20+ interviews may be average, but I doubt that is the case at my school.

Anyways, I was just wondering if I should feel "safe" with the number of interviews I have. I really don't care where I end up, as long as I get a 2011 summer associate position somewhere.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but to answer your question: no, you should not feel "safe". Most people at CCN aren't feeling "safe" just because they have 15-20 interviews lined up. It's great to be happy that you've got a number of interviews in store, but if by "safe" you mean relaxing and assuming you'll get a job through OCI, feeling "safe" would be incredibly foolish ITE. This is especially true when you're interviewing with firms that have summer class sizes ~10 or fewer in one of the larger secondary markets.

Get excited about OCI, but do not rely on OCI.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Varies widely. The better your credentials and the more presentable you are, the more often your interviews will lead to offers. But it's quite difficult to generalize.

The T14s* all have lottery systems so everyone, including the bottom 1% of the class, get roughly the same # of interviews.

*Except UVTTTA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:43 pm

disco_barred wrote:Varies widely. The better your credentials and the more presentable you are, the more often your interviews will lead to offers. But it's quite difficult to generalize.

The T14s* all have lottery systems so everyone, including the bottom 1% of the class, get roughly the same # of interviews.

*Except UVTTTA.

This is not the original poster. I'm at a T20 (100% preselect of course) and through a couple job fairs and regional off campus fairs I have about 15 preselects before the OCI schedule is released. I'm hearing the poster above on not banking on OCI so I'm wondering how much weight should be given to the fact that they are preselects? I'm sure some fairs want to interview 10 or 20 people and may end up picking people they have no interest. Just curious as to what I should be expecting.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Not feeling safe is TCR, but if your system isn't lottery (which it probably isn't) and your grades are good enough to get that many screening interviews (probably half the firms coming to your OCI) then you definitely have a realistic shot.

That being said, spam secondary markets.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Keep in mind that there are pre-selects and then there are pre-selects. A firm that pre-selects 80 students intending to hire 2 should not spark much certainty in those pre-selected by the firm, and it is hard if not impossible to know the hiring thoughts motivating firms at this stage.

Better safe than sorry is TCR these days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:48 pm

I was in the top 15% at a T25-T30 school. I had over 30 interviews (I didn't get 1 or 2 firms that I bid on). Problem I had was that they were almost all upper V100 firms. I seemed to be just below the grade cut-off that got significant interest from the firms. I got one callback out of those first 2 weeks of interviews, but didn't get the job. I had to interview until March to find a position. I have a feeling they interviewd a days worth of people just because they were there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:51 pm

rayiner wrote:Not feeling safe is TCR, but if your system isn't lottery (which it probably isn't) and your grades are good enough to get that many screening interviews (probably half the firms coming to your OCI) then you definitely have a realistic shot.

That being said, spam secondary markets.

disco_barred wrote:Keep in mind that there are pre-selects and then there are pre-selects. A firm that pre-selects 80 students intending to hire 2 should not spark much certainty in those pre-selected by the firm, and it is hard if not impossible to know the hiring thoughts motivating firms at this stage.

Better safe than sorry is TCR these days.

Yeah I started the spamming. Kind of lucky in that I have substantial ties to a lot of the larger secondary markets. I think one of the fairs had a 10 slot interview limit per firm and the other had a 20. The regional fairs had no information so who knows. Thanks for the advice guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 pm

The other issued that seemed to come to light last year was the screening/callback/offer ratios tended to be pretty all or nothing. It seemed like firms all wanted the same people. I'm guessing this year won't be as bad as last, since some firms got burned by this and ended up having to make several rounds of offers, leading them to miss out on some of their preferred candidates.

Just FYI as you start hearing back from how last year's class did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:07 pm

-Original poster here-

All my interviews were preselect through OCI- no lottery system at my school. According to career services, firms could pre-select up to 20, but many of them did less.

My stats were top 5%, LR, multiple book awards.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 pm

If I am top 5% w/ LR at a Midwestern T30 and have 10 interviews lined up with Vault 50 firms in New York, DC, and Chicago, is it likely that I'll get callbacks? Or are these firms just going to talk to me for 20 minutes and then hire a T14 student? The OCI at my school is incredibly anemic and mostly focused on the secondary market of the State in which I go to school.

Edit: Sorry. This is not OP. I did not read to the end of the thread, and I just realized my stats/question are identical to OP's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:06 am

Anonybump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 pm

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm

UVTTTA? really?...

Return to “Legal Employment”