Include Law Review on a business card? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lucidity

New

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Post by Lucidity » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Danteshek wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned that law school business cards are great for picking up girls? If they contact you, then you know they're interested. This has happened to me multiple times.
It has been mentioned, you just didn't pay enough attention.

I've actually pondered this business card question before and have been extremely interested in reading everyone's opinions on the mater every time it has arisen. The 2 camps of each side usually breaks down thusly:

Pro business card people are usually people whom the business cards have helped in actual networking events. They advocate using the cards sparingly and conclude that with proper usage and timing, a business card can only help you, not hurt you.

Con business card people generally speak from assumptions and generalizations. They rarely speak from personal experience, in which having a business card has hurt them in their networking. In their attempts to stave of pretentiousness, they mistakenly come to the conclusion that any law student with a business card at networking events throw them around like confetti, and therefore any law student that possessed business cards are pretentious douchebags.

My conclusion is that like any tool, a business card can be misused. But that does not preclude them from being useful tools when used correctly.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned that law school business cards are great for picking up girls? If they contact you, then you know they're interested. This has happened to me multiple times.
Perhaps no one has mentioned it because this is a legal employment rather than a lounge thread. Just a thought.
Why so serious?
Because I'm stressed to hell and back with my bidlist, frankly. I've been trolling this forum all day for useful info.
That's where your going wrong

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Matthies wrote: That's where your going wrong
It's a homophone, not a homograph.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 pm

sibley wrote:
Why you such a homophobe?

Try not being able to read/write your own name after 10, be so dylsxic your illterate w/o a computer, get JD, gradute 13th in your class, get an LLM, pass the bar and become a lawyer then you can corect my writing/spelling/grammer as my summer associate :twisted:

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Matthies wrote:
sibley wrote:

Try not being able to read/write your own name after 10, be so dylsxic your illterate w/o a computer, get JD, gradute 13th in your class, get an LLM, pass the bar and become a lawyer then you can corect my writing/spelling/grammer as my summer associate :twisted:
grammar has little to do with dyslexia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm

sibley wrote:
Matthies wrote:
sibley wrote:

Yea you are an expert in dyslexia too?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Matthies wrote:
sibley wrote:
Matthies wrote:
sibley wrote:

Yea you are an expert in dyslexia too?
I surrender with qualms.

Have you seen this site? http://webanywhere.cs.washington.edu/wa.php
The developer is currently working on getting it to work for people with dyslexia, learning disabilities, etc. I believe there is a survey and I'm sure he'd be happy if you filled it out. If there's not, I'm sure he'd like your suggestions on how it can help people in your situation.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm

sibley wrote: I surrender with qualms.

Have you seen this site? http://webanywhere.cs.washington.edu/wa.php
The developer is currently working on getting it to work for people with dyslexia, learning disabilities, etc. I believe there is a survey and I'm sure he'd be happy if you filled it out. If there's not, I'm sure he'd like your suggestions on how it can help people in your situation.

I've started using Dragons Natural Speaking "Voice Shortcuts" that allow you to speak and control functions on your computer and the web. Its decent but does not work in many webpages (like TLS). basically anything that needs me to use the keyboard comes out jumbled. Between the brain/eyes/hands the sginal gets mixed up and the letters, words, even keys are not what I want them to be, or even then what I "see" them as. So avoiding the keyboard all together would be great, but not yet completely possible for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:52 pm

So it is resolved: as a student, get a business card?

Can someone suggest the proper format? :?

John F. Doughboy
J.D. Candidate, Class of 2012
Donut University School of Law
Jdoughboy @donut.edu
555-555-5555

??????????????????

PS Had donuts on my mind :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote: PS Had donuts on my mind :mrgreen:
oh i thought you were just saying you're fat

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:13 am

MrKappus wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Matthies wrote:But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.
This is why I'm getting business cards.
Anyone who's ever talked to a girl w/o giving a credit number first knows that a business card in a bar = not impressive.
TITCR, however, undergraduate girls are easily impressed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:54 am

FWIW, was specifically told by more than one BIGLAW partner at V15s that it would be odd for a law student to hand them a business card. Not insulting, but really strange (I asked about it).

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:So it is resolved: as a student, get a business card?
Did you just read a different thread than I did?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 am

Please for the love of God, no business cards. I'm involved in recruitment for my firm (Biglaw) and there will never be a situation where handing me a card, which has happened, is appropriate. If I have a good conversation at an event with a student, I'll give them my card and have them contact me, which has also happened. A law student having a business card is not professional, it's play professional. Don't pretend to be a professional, you're a student plain and simple.

During OCI we had a couple business cards given to us, and the hiring partner specifically commented on how weird it was for law students to have business cards (above and beyond how weird it was to give them out in that situation).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”