Include Law Review on a business card?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jallen926
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 am

Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby jallen926 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Would you typically include membership on your law review on a business card? Thanks

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 pm

No.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 pm

1) I and many others would not suggest a law student have a business card. There is disagreement on this point.

2) If you MUST have a business card as a law student, including journal membership would be even douchier than having a business card in the first place .

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby jayn3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 pm

only if you have your resume in full on the back side.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:51 pm

The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:53 pm

disco_barred wrote:1) I and many others would not suggest a law student have a business card. There is disagreement on this point.



There is nothing classier than when you meet a reall lawyer or judge outide of school and they seem like they may want to talk to you again and you write your digits down on a crumpled recite from an adult bookstore you had in your pocket.

No, don't put LR on buiness card.

Name
Law School
J.D. Expected 20XX
Phone
Email

Don't give out your phone number to lawyers or judges if your outgoing message makes you look like a 12 y.o. and don't put your hotpapi69@hotmail.com addy on thier ethier.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby 12262010 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

the answer is no.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:53 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D


Every time somebody makes a thread about law student business cards or 0L prep, The Commissioner lights a beacon in the sky with a symbol of me banging my head against my desk so hard that I cry tears of blood.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby jayn3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:54 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D

waaait i thought the consensus was "have them if you want them, though it's rarely appropriate to use them -- but they can be very useful for those few times"

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby sbalive » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I have changed my mind on law students having business cards (as a general matter, not putting Law Review on it, which is a little strange). I certainly don't think they are a negative. Personally, I usually find business cards to be most useful as props during a networking-type conversation.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

jayn3 wrote:only if you have your resume in full on the back side.


This is utterly ridiculous. I have mine set up as follows - I recommend that everyone do the same.

First/Last Name, [GPA]
Law School, [Scholarship Amount], [LS's US News Rank]
EMail
Phone Number

Also, for networking opportunities, I try to hand them out wherever I go. I also like to leave some at the bottom of the ballpit at McDonalds so if a kid finds one and asks him parents what is - BAM, instantly got my name out there.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby jayn3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
jayn3 wrote:only if you have your resume in full on the back side.


This is utterly ridiculous.



....nevermind, should have read the rest of your post.
Last edited by jayn3 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

jayn3 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D

waaait i thought the consensus was "have them if you want them, though it's rarely appropriate to use them -- but they can be very useful for those few times"


I vehemently disagree with the no business cards for law students. Maybe if you hang out in law school and run in fear from real lawyers/judges yea you will be fine. But if you plan to get involved in the profession like bar associations or Inns of court you should have a business card. When given a buiness card you should give one back, it etiquette. You want to be a professional, in a professional setting outside of school you should act like one and not scrawl your facebook page address on the back of a cocktail napkin. But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
jayn3 wrote:only if you have your resume in full on the back side.


This is utterly ridiculous. I have mine set up as follows - I recommend that everyone do the same.

First/Last Name, [GPA]
Law School, [Scholarship Amount], [LS's US News Rank]
EMail
Phone Number

Also, for networking opportunities, I try to hand them out wherever I go. I also like to leave some at the bottom of the ballpit at McDonalds so if a kid finds one and asks him parents what is - BAM, instantly got my name out there.


You forgot LSAT score

Also I'm going to a funeral Tuesday for a biglaw partner that died, i plan to leave a stack or resumes next to the guest book, Subtle or profesional?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Matthies wrote:But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.

This is why I'm getting business cards.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm

jayn3 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D

waaait i thought the consensus was "have them if you want them, though it's rarely appropriate to use them -- but they can be very useful for those few times"


Oh no, what have I started? Two glosses on the same thing, I think. The takeaway for OP is that having them and handing them out is a bad plan, and though I don't personally think there is anything wrong with the theory of giving business cards when asked, in practice most employers won't assume you have them. I am not sure there is consensus about how useful they are, though if some find them so on occasion, I won't contradict. The danger is in coming off in a pretentious manner.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Matthies wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D

waaait i thought the consensus was "have them if you want them, though it's rarely appropriate to use them -- but they can be very useful for those few times"


I vehemently disagree with the no business cards for law students. Maybe if you hang out in law school and run in fear from real lawyers/judges yea you will be fine. But if you plan to get involved in the profession like bar associations or Inns of court you should have a business card. When given a buiness card you should give one back, it etiquette. You want to be a professional, in a professional setting outside of school you should act like one and not scrawl your facebook page address on the back of a cocktail napkin. But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.


I have to agree with you on this point. There is disagreement on whether you should bring business cards to an interview, but if you're at a networking function they're a must. If the other person thinks you're pretentious for having them he might not call, but if you don't have them he won't be able to call regardless of what he thinks of you.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby MrKappus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Matthies wrote:But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.

This is why I'm getting business cards.


Anyone who's ever talked to a girl w/o giving a credit number first knows that a business card in a bar = not impressive.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The consensus is that business cards for law students are not a great idea, and some employers will find them pretentious.

Note to Disco: I was just about to mention how you would find this thread and give the OP an excellent explanation. Most fortuitous timing. :D

waaait i thought the consensus was "have them if you want them, though it's rarely appropriate to use them -- but they can be very useful for those few times"


Oh no, what have I started? Two glosses on the same thing, I think. The takeaway for OP is that having them and handing them out is a bad plan, and though I don't personally think there is anything wrong with the theory of giving business cards when asked, in practice most employers won't assume you have them. I am not sure there is consensus about how useful they are, though if some find them so on occasion, I won't contradict. The danger is in coming off in a pretentious manner.


Its been my experience that people who are pretentious will come off that way all by themselves long before you get to the business card exchanging phase. Not so with the alterative, I've talked to and seen some very professional acting folks blow it completely when they write their details on a napkin.

You have to remember to you your a student, to a senior partner who has met you at a professional bar event outside of school you're a future colleague, they are not going think your pretentious if you act as they expect professionals to act and exchange cards.
They might however doubt your professionalism if you have to write you number on the back of some other lawyers card you got five mins ago.

Many lawyers prefer to call you when they have time, not have you call them when they are busy with clients, so often they will ask for your contact info rather than give you theirs. Present it in a professional manor when in a professional setting is my point.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:15 pm

MrKappus wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Matthies wrote:But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.

This is why I'm getting business cards.


Anyone who's ever talked to a girl w/o giving a credit number first knows that a business card in a bar = not impressive.


You need to pair it with this:

The Amercian Bar Assn credit card

--ImageRemoved--

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Matthies wrote:Its been my experience that people who are pretentious will come off that way all by themselves long before you get to the business card exchanging phase. Not so with the alterative, I've talked to and seen some very professional acting folks blow it completely when they write their details on a napkin.

You have to remember to you your a student, to a senior partner who has met you at a professional bar event outside of school you're a future colleague, they are not going think your pretentious if you act as they expect professionals to act and exchange cards.
They might however doubt your professionalism if you have to write you number on the back of some other lawyers card you got five mins ago.

Many lawyers prefer to call you when they have time, not have you call them when they are busy with clients, so often they will ask for your contact info rather than give you theirs. Present it in a professional manor when in a professional setting is my point.


This has been close to the opposite of my experience. It probably has a lot to do with the location you're at, kind of law you're interested in, type of events you go to, etc.

One thing I've noticed from TLS is that what may be gods own truth at a T14, or in the midwest, or at a big city law school, or for those interested in tax, or whatever - might be a horrible piece of advice for groups of students who don't fit that bill. That can cause a lot of ruffled feathers because people don't realize that the way their universe operates isn't the way all universes operate.

So it doesn't surprised me that business cards are useful and expected in some scenarios, but I am still adamant that in my world - replete with networking functions, friendly attorneys, and interviews - a law student carrying a business card would stand out in a bad way.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby 12262010 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Matthies wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Matthies wrote:But since none of you care abut that reasoning, here's one that might appeal to you: impress ungrad chicks at bars.

This is why I'm getting business cards.


Anyone who's ever talked to a girl w/o giving a credit number first knows that a business card in a bar = not impressive.


You need to pair it with this:

The Amercian Bar Assn credit card

--ImageRemoved--


oh hell yes.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Matthies wrote:Its been my experience that people who are pretentious will come off that way all by themselves long before you get to the business card exchanging phase. Not so with the alterative, I've talked to and seen some very professional acting folks blow it completely when they write their details on a napkin.

You have to remember to you your a student, to a senior partner who has met you at a professional bar event outside of school you're a future colleague, they are not going think your pretentious if you act as they expect professionals to act and exchange cards.
They might however doubt your professionalism if you have to write you number on the back of some other lawyers card you got five mins ago.

Many lawyers prefer to call you when they have time, not have you call them when they are busy with clients, so often they will ask for your contact info rather than give you theirs. Present it in a professional manor when in a professional setting is my point.


This has been close to the opposite of my experience. It probably has a lot to do with the location you're at, kind of law you're interested in, type of events you go to, etc.

One thing I've noticed from TLS is that what may be gods own truth at a T14, or in the midwest, or at a big city law school, or for those interested in tax, or whatever - might be a horrible piece of advice for groups of students who don't fit that bill. That can cause a lot of ruffled feathers because people don't realize that the way their universe operates isn't the way all universes operate.

So it doesn't surprised me that business cards are useful and expected in some scenarios, but I am still adamant that in my world - replete with networking functions, friendly attorneys, and interviews - a law student carrying a business card would stand out in a bad way.


GTFO 1L :P

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Matthies wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Matthies wrote:Its been my experience that people who are pretentious will come off that way all by themselves long before you get to the business card exchanging phase. Not so with the alterative, I've talked to and seen some very professional acting folks blow it completely when they write their details on a napkin.

You have to remember to you your a student, to a senior partner who has met you at a professional bar event outside of school you're a future colleague, they are not going think your pretentious if you act as they expect professionals to act and exchange cards.
They might however doubt your professionalism if you have to write you number on the back of some other lawyers card you got five mins ago.

Many lawyers prefer to call you when they have time, not have you call them when they are busy with clients, so often they will ask for your contact info rather than give you theirs. Present it in a professional manor when in a professional setting is my point.


This has been close to the opposite of my experience. It probably has a lot to do with the location you're at, kind of law you're interested in, type of events you go to, etc.

One thing I've noticed from TLS is that what may be gods own truth at a T14, or in the midwest, or at a big city law school, or for those interested in tax, or whatever - might be a horrible piece of advice for groups of students who don't fit that bill. That can cause a lot of ruffled feathers because people don't realize that the way their universe operates isn't the way all universes operate.

So it doesn't surprised me that business cards are useful and expected in some scenarios, but I am still adamant that in my world - replete with networking functions, friendly attorneys, and interviews - a law student carrying a business card would stand out in a bad way.


GTFO 1L :P


GTFO old man ;)

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Include Law Review on a business card?

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:20 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.