Handout for Employers at OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jallen926

Handout for Employers at OCI

Postby jallen926 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Has anyone prepared a "packet" to give employers at OCI? For example, maybe a packet that includes a cover letter, resume, writing sample, list of references, etc... Anyone think this is a good idea?

doyleoil

Re: Handout for Employers at OCI

Postby doyleoil » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm

My two cents (no, actually this is my OCS's two cents): Don't give them a bunch of shit they didn't ask for. But bring your "packet" stuff (resume, transcript, references, writing sample) with you to the interview, so you have it in case they ask for it.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Bring individual copies of all relevant materials to all interviews and callbacks to be delivered upon request. 99 times out of 100 the screening interviewer will have all necessary documents already, and 80 times out of 100 any attorney you interview at a callback with will also have copies of the relevant documents. There won't be any time to hand stuff over and have it read as "extra." You bring copies only for the event that they forget / lost your stuff and need extras.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Just bring it. Don't prepare it to give to every screening interviewer.

It came in handy twice, for interviewers who asked me to send them a writing sample but I had one prepared and with me. I ended up getting callbacks for both.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I actually did the packet idea and I thought it was fine. I kept references separate and didn't include them unless they asked for them. It was convenient to have a folder (with name stickers on the cover) to give to interviewers.

It did happen a couple times that a firm asked for a writing sample even if it wasn't on the official list of things to provide for that firm.

jallen926

Postby jallen926 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Is it best to bring each document separately? What I had in mind was a nice professional packet (made at Kinko's or something) that includes everything. Similar to a packet you would give out if you were making a presentation at work. Maybe also include a spot to put your business card. Thoughts?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Again, I think a packet is fine. I would avoid making it too fancy because then it gets silly.

I had some bland stickers made with my name on them and put them on plain glossy folders with pockets and put my resume, transcript and writing sample in it. I kept references separate as well as cover letters for those few firms that requested one.

I think it's weird for law students to have business cards personally. I've heard of student orgs that make them, but I think it's ridiculous personally.

jallen926

Postby jallen926 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:49 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Again, I think a packet is fine. I would avoid making it too fancy because then it gets silly.

I had some bland stickers made with my name on them and put them on plain glossy folders with pockets and put my resume, transcript and writing sample in it. I kept references separate as well as cover letters for those few firms that requested one.

I think it's weird for law students to have business cards personally. I've heard of student orgs that make them, but I think it's ridiculous personally.

For some reason my school seems to be all about the business cards. It seems that most students at my school have them.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm

To me, it still seems ridiculous.

Here's the thing...nobody is going to be turned on by a business card. You could however run into a few people who are turned off by it. What's the upside and what's the downside of including the card?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm

For the patent fair, all the firms asked for updated resumes, transcripts, writing sample, etc, on their Symplicity page. I prepared a folder for each firm with the specific documents they requested + my business card and handed them to my interviewer. This was easy for me and easy for them.

I'm tempted to concur with possum on the business card issue though. A few of my interviewers seemed to really like it, and one or two seemed to think it was a little silly. The majority didn't comment. I think I'll forgo them for OCI proper.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:51 pm

I don't see how a packet would be necessary. When you sit down, there's almost a 100% chance your interviewer has already been provided with copies of your documents. If they're missing, say, your transcript - they'll ask for that.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 pm

jallen926 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Again, I think a packet is fine. I would avoid making it too fancy because then it gets silly.

For some reason my school seems to be all about the business cards. It seems that most students at my school have them.

I think most schools push them pretty hard, but I think they're silly as well. Just personal preference though.

I don't think the packet is a big deal one way or the other. You might impress some people but might turn some people off, you never know. I always err on the side of caution with these things but opt to be prepared if they ask for the stuff.

I would not do the Kinko's professional route though. For lack of a better term, that may come off overly "gunnerish."

jallen926

Postby jallen926 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm

awesomepossum wrote:To me, it still seems ridiculous.

Here's the thing...nobody is going to be turned on by a business card. You could however run into a few people who are turned off by it. What's the upside and what's the downside of including the card?

I guess I don't really understand why it would turn employers off. I mean I've been in networking situations at various student group and alumni happy hours where I've been speaking with an attorney and they asked for my contact info. Having a business card is pretty helpful in those situations. I understand why it's stupid b/c we're just law students, but it's got to convey some sort of sense of maturity.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm

To me, here's the upside to providing a packet: you just give the employer one thing up front with everything they need. No need to look for the appropriate document during the interview or have the guy ask you for anything. The papers are such a small issue, it's nice to get it all done at once IMO.

I thought it was clean and easy, and a good way to keep your @#$# organized. In my first couple interviews of every day I was never totally on top of my game and it was nice to have one thing that didn't need any effort.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Put them all in an envelope with a handful of glitter and sequins, obviously.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

jallen926 wrote:

I guess I don't really understand why it would turn employers off. I mean I've been in networking situations at various student group and alumni happy hours where I've been speaking with an attorney and they asked for my contact info. Having a business card is pretty helpful in those situations. I understand why it's stupid b/c we're just law students, but it's got to convey some sort of sense of maturity.

Here's the thing.....let's assume some people think you're right, and some people think I'm right. Which approach helps you out more? I don't think anybody has ever said: wow...this guy is so mature...he has a business card!

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Put them all in an envelope with a handful of glitter and sequins, obviously.

Make sure you use thick, brown parchment paper. None of this TTT white bullshit you seem the proles using for printing their information on.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

disco_barred wrote:I don't see how a packet would be necessary. When you sit down, there's almost a 100% chance your interviewer has already been provided with copies of your documents. If they're missing, say, your transcript - they'll ask for that.

At least at our OCI, all you can submit through Symplicity is your resume. That resume cannot have any journal information, so you'll have to give them at least an updated resume. Almost all want a transcript and many want a writing sample, so now you have three loose pieces of paper you have to hand to each interviewer.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:58 pm

rayiner wrote:
disco_barred wrote:I don't see how a packet would be necessary. When you sit down, there's almost a 100% chance your interviewer has already been provided with copies of your documents. If they're missing, say, your transcript - they'll ask for that.

At least at our OCI, all you can submit through Symplicity is your resume. That resume cannot have any journal information, so you'll have to give them at least an updated resume. Almost all want a transcript and many want a writing sample, so now you have three loose pieces of paper you have to hand to each interviewer.

Well there you go. Packet away if you know you'll need to be updating each interviewer with multiple documents.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm fairly certain no one would be turned off if you're not a douche about handing it out and it doesn't look overdone or whatever.

As for the packet thing, there's no downside to having copies of everything. Also, at my school, the interviewers only get the resume even if they need anything else. Probably worth organizing everything in one place to give to the interview when they provide info specifically requesting it.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

rayiner wrote:

All that firms request is a resume? Or your symplicity is only equipped to handle a resume? This seems bizarre that employers want more than a resume but can't get it through symplicity. I turned in several symp. apps that included cover letter, resume, transcript, and writing sample.

Edit: apparently its the same for sbalive. strange.
Last edited by rando on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
jallen926 wrote:

Here's the thing.....let's assume some people think you're right, and some people think I'm right. Which approach helps you out more? I don't think anybody has ever said: wow...this guy is so mature...he has a business card!

Right.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm

rando wrote:
rayiner wrote:

All that firms request is a resume? Or your symplicity is only equipped to handle a resume? This seems bizarre that employers want more than a resume but can't get it through symplicity. I turned in several symp. apps that included cover letter, resume, transcript, and writing sample.

All we're allowed to give them through symplicity is a resume. It's to help level the playing field so interviewers can't make pre-judgements about people before the interview.

jallen926

Postby jallen926 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:02 pm

rando wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Edit: apparently its the same for sbalive. strange.

Every employer that I am interviewing with requested all four documents

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
jallen926 wrote:

Lol. But, a business card is kind of a nice thing to have as a prop when you're talking and networking... It's kind of intangible. If you feel like you have a nice routine for those conversations without a card, you don't need them. Of course, if you hand it out with the attitude of "look I'm mature because I have a card" that's when you turn people off.

That said, I'd only get cards if they were actually free of charge from my school and looked decent. And, I'd probably use most of them to stuff boxes for free lunch drawings.

Return to “Legal Employment”