Columbia EIP Lottery Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swc65

Re: Columbia EIP Lottery Results

Postby swc65 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
swc65 wrote:So does CLS take your grades/class rank into account at all during the lottery? Or is it really a simple lottery used only for ordering students' bid requests?

The latter. But obviously students are going to be aware of their rank and how that translates to successful interview/callback opportunities.

But I have I have so many people say that they have little idea where to bid because OCS doesn't give people access to enough information. Are these just isolated cased or do you just get a good idea of where to bid as you go through the process?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 pm

swc65 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
swc65 wrote:So does CLS take your grades/class rank into account at all during the lottery? Or is it really a simple lottery used only for ordering students' bid requests?

No school takes your grades or class rank into account during the lottery - the term lottery means the opposite of taking grades into account. If grades matter, it's pre-select. To my knowledge no schools weight interview selection by grades - it's either 100% weighted by preference, or 100% up to the employer. If there is a 'mix' it just means some chosen one way and some in the other.

Oh ok thanks. 0L here, as you might have guessed, so I am still getting the lingo down.

Not a problem. Rising 2L here, as you might have guessed, so I am happy to help people get down the lingo ^.^

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:32 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:32 pm

swc65 wrote:
Machine Spirit wrote:

The latter. But obviously students are going to be aware of their rank and how that translates to successful interview/callback opportunities.

But I have I have so many people say that they have little idea where to bid because OCS doesn't give people access to enough information. Are these just isolated cased or do you just get a good idea of where to bid as you go through the process?

You get a VERY vague idea of where to bid. Most career services offices give you very little info to go on. It's complicated why, a lot of it has to do with firms being sensitive and the economy being volatile. Add on privacy issues of publishing other people's results, etc.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Wow, I got 25, all in NY.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, I got 25, all in NY.

Impressive. I want your bidding skills.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Pre-ITE, it was pretty simple. At least at NU you got a pretty detailed GPA -> callback chart, and you just picked something out of the hundreds of offices where your GPA was near their medians. Of course, back then V10s were calling back top 1/3 people and everyone got a pony at the end of OCI interviews.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 pm

First off, I enjoy (but do not mind) that most of the people in this thread don't actually go to Columbia.

But, as for mine, I got 25 through lottery, of which 17 or 18 were New York.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:First off, I enjoy (but do not mind) that most of the people in this thread don't actually go to Columbia.

I've been visiting other schools' employment threads to gauge how many interviews are the norm across the board. In translation, I'd like to know enough to know how badly I've screwed up once my lottery results are out.

Also, I want your bidding skills, too.

Postby 12262010 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm

dresden doll wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:First off, I enjoy (but do not mind) that most of the people in this thread don't actually go to Columbia.

I've been visiting other schools' employment threads to gauge how many interviews are the norm across the board. In translation, I'd like to know enough to know how badly I've screwed up once my lottery results are out.

Also, I want your bidding skills, too.

people I spoke to who split tended to do better than those who only bid NYC. makes sense.

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:48 pm

booyakasha wrote:
people I spoke to who split tended to do better than those who only bid NYC. makes sense.

This. I'd imagine those who bid on firms outside of NY may have gotten something like 5 more bids than the average, along with those who bid on firms outside of the V100. I mean, it seems fairly obvious when you think about it.

I should have prefaced my own numbers with the statement that they were all in NY. That puts my figure (16) into perspective against those who got 20+. But like I said before, Career Services knows the average, and it's 15. Nothing really needs to be said after that. In that sense, the whole thread can pretty much turn out pretty self-aggrandizing (i.e. "I got 22 bids, blah blah blah").

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

This. I'd imagine those who bid on firms outside of NY may have gotten something like 5 more bids than the average, along with those who bid on firms outside of the V100. I mean, it seems fairly obvious when you think about it.

I should have prefaced my own numbers with the statement that they were all in NY. That puts my figure (16) into perspective against those who got 20+. But like I said before, Career Services knows the average, and it's 15. Nothing really needs to be said after that. In that sense, the whole thread can pretty much turn out pretty self-aggrandizing (i.e. "I got 22 bids, blah blah blah").

Our OCS has told us to target as few markets as possible. Supposedly, concentrating on one market is helpful. Your experience appears to run counter to their advice, however. I wonder if that is because most CLS kids want NYC.

Whatever the case, it puts me in a bit of bind since I really don't want anything but NYC. *I'd consider DC and SF but they're way too competitive and I have no ties to either.

Postby 12262010 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Machine Spirit wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Our OCS has told us to target as few markets as possible. Supposedly, concentrating on one market is helpful. Your experience appears to run counter to their advice, however. I wonder if that is because most CLS kids want NYC.

Whatever the case, it puts me in a bit of bind since I really don't want anything but NYC. *I'd consider DC and SF but they're way too competitive and I have no ties to either.

I only bid NYC because I only want NYC, so I'm okay with losing out on a few interviews.

I'm sure NYC is more popular among CLS students than it is among their counterparts at Chicago.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 pm

booyakasha wrote:
I only bid NYC because I only want NYC, so I'm okay with losing out on a few interviews.

I'm sure NYC is more popular among CLS students than it is among their counterparts at Chicago.

That's basically how I feel. I have to remind myself, however, that I just can't afford to walk out of OCI without a job. Sigh.

Thanks for the input.

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:00 pm

dresden doll wrote:Our OCS has told us to target as few markets as possible. Supposedly, concentrating on one market is helpful. Your experience appears to run counter to their advice, however. I wonder if that is because most CLS kids want NYC.

The career counselor I was assigned to recommended bidding on only two markets, at most. I bid on only one market (NY) as that is the only place I desire to work/live. At all times though, she said I should expect, as the majority of students should expect, the traditional average of 15 out of the 30 bids being selected. Needless to say, I wasn't really surprised with my own results.

Columbia's career services offices provides an excel spreadsheet that lists the firms for last year, that illustrates how many bids they received, how many interviews they gave, callbacks, offers, etc. It has that same information with transfer student results included on another excel sheet. It's clear from both lists that the majority of Columbia students, including transfers, are placing bids within the V35, and the vast majority within the V50. It goes without saying that the NY offices of said firms receive the lion's share of bids.

I suppose one could be "strategic" and bid on regional offices, or on firms that don't traditionally receive a great number of bids (i.e. >V100), so to each his own. But really, the results were never in doubt. Go with the majority, get the average number of bids. Look elsewhere, get more. I don't really view the "I got more bids" thing as a competition, as that's a result of having entirely different preferences, not one of having the better stats/resume.

Antipodean

Postby Antipodean » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:56 pm

olderapplicant wrote:Do firms ever interview candidates that may not have been selected via lottery? (outside of EIP)

Yes, both inside and outside of EIP. Inside of EIP, there's an add/drop window, and students can also sign up for interview slots on each day where slots become available through cancellation. Also, firms have "hospitality suites" in the building where you can go chat with attorneys; occasionally, students get interviews just by chatting to people. I'm pretty sure the latter is pretty rare.

Outside of EIP, there are a large number of employers - particularly public interest firms and government agencies - who interview later. Also, there are plenty of law firms who don't show up to EIP but who would nevertheless be interested in hiring Columbia students. That's a tricky route, though - lots of research, lots of resume drops, much lower interview rates. EIP is easy - bid in lottery, get (at least some) interviews. That's why it's such a big deal.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:14 am

is it realistic to get an interview with a firm you didn't get through EIP via resume/cover letter mailing?

rv11

Postby rv11 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 am

disco_barred wrote:

No school takes your grades or class rank into account during the lottery - the term lottery means the opposite of taking grades into account. If grades matter, it's pre-select. To my knowledge no schools weight interview selection by grades - it's either 100% weighted by preference, or 100% up to the employer. If there is a 'mix' it just means some chosen one way and some in the other.

UVA

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 am

rv11 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

UVA

No. UVA assigns some interviews in a lottery (with no weight based on grades) and allows other interviews to be assigned based on screening exclusively based on grades. In other words

disco_barred wrote:[A] 'mix' . . . just means some chosen one way and some in the other.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:14 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:15 am

can you kids have this fight elsewhere?

rv11

Postby rv11 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 am

disco_barred wrote:
rv11 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

UVA

No. UVA assigns some interviews in a lottery (with no weight based on grades) and allows other interviews to be assigned based on screening exclusively based on grades. In other words

disco_barred wrote:[A] 'mix' . . . just means some chosen one way and some in the other.

you said that every school is either 100% preference or 100% up to the employer. i still dont see how UVA doesnt make that statement incorrect.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:56 am

booyakasha wrote:can you kids have this fight elsewhere?

Seriously.

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Pardon me gentlemen, but would both of you kindly shut the hell up?

Return to “Legal Employment”