Why X seconday market?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why X seconday market?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 am

Working on a cover letter. Go to MVP. Have no ties really anywhere, but I definitely didn't go to school here because I want to remain in the region. Also, don't want NYC. What do I say? Should I just say that I do have ties there (e.g. just say I have family there or something like that)?

Re: Why X seconday market?

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 am

I wouldn't suggest lying about it.

So does that mean you go to school in the region you went to UG? Where you grew up/family is from?

Postby sbalive » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:12 am

If you aren't from the United States (the only way I can imagine that you wouldn't have ties anywhere) then you can justify any big city (and some secondary markets) by citing things like "diversity of population," "cost of living," "weather," etc. It would also be very helpful to say you've visited there.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 pm

I am in a similar boat. Most people who live and work in a particular place want to believe that they live in a pretty great place, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince them you want to be there too. Just mention you're not interested in the whole NYC hustle, say a few nice things about their city, and hope for the best. Honesty seems a better policy than something like "Ever since my sister moved to Des Moines and began dying of cancer there, I knew that I was 100% sure I wanted an Iowa firm job."

Return to “Legal Employment”