Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:20 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby California Babe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
Your small firm is not the same as every small firm. What your firm does is not what every firm does. I have also personally worked for a firm that bills clients for SA work. Are you really trying to argue that because the firm you worked at didn't bill clients for SA work, you know the firm I worked at didn't?


No point in having the discussion. Big firms are pretty standard, so it isn't hard to make a good, probably correct generalization. Smaller firms are just wild cards.


Exactly.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

California Babe wrote:
rando wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:...keep in mind that even summer associates have hourly rates. Clients don't get SA work for free, no matter how many SA hours were actually billed to them.


Since, NYA actually knows what he is talking about, I will defer and agree to disagree. My experience with small firm work and this past summer has made it unequivocally clear that clients get SA work for free. But I will underscore the fact that it may be different in different places, though the business sense of a client allowing this is questionable.


This really isn't a matter of "agree to disagree."

Your small firm is not the same as every small firm. What your firm does is not what every firm does. I have also personally worked for a firm that bills clients for SA work. Are you really trying to argue that because the firm you worked at didn't bill clients for SA work, you know the firm I worked at didn't?

dresdon doll wrote:Faulty logic is faulty.


Are you really trying to argue that you know what your firm billed out to the client?

Naive LS is naive.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 pm

rando wrote:Are you really trying to argue that you know what your firm billed out to the client?

Naive LS is naive.


I'd wager to say CB is better positioned to know how her firm bills clients than yourself.

Arrogant LS is arrogant.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby California Babe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:34 pm

rando wrote:Are you really trying to argue that you know what your firm billed out to the client?

Naive LS is naive.


I'm just going to wait and see if you find the irony on your own, or if someone else has to point it out to you.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

California Babe wrote:
rando wrote:Are you really trying to argue that you know what your firm billed out to the client?

Naive LS is naive.


I'm just going to wait and see if you find the irony on your own, or if someone else has to point it out to you.


This is silly. I'm not telling you I know what your firm did. I'm telling you that I find it hard to believe that it is doing what you say it did. And I question your understanding of how it worked and what you think you know.

You should really understand the syllogism before you point out faulty logic and irony.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 pm

NYAssociate wrote:This discussion should just stop.


Good point.

Sorry for dragging it down and derailing. my bad. :(

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

rando wrote:

You should really understand the syllogism before you point out faulty logic and irony.


And you should perhaps stop shitting on this thread with arrogant assertions.

I was the one to point out your faulty logic, primarily because you claimed that a firm that could afford to pay an SA could also afford to eat up all of the hours said SA spent working on client matters. One would hope that someone as keen on questioning other posters' understanding could identify the problem in re: such reasoning. One would, however, apparently be wrong.

Just cut it out, seriously.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby jayn3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

NYAssociate wrote:This discussion should just stop.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm

anybody want to swap OCI resumes?

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:43 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby jayn3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:44 pm

General Tso wrote:anybody want to swap OCI resumes?

no, i intend to get a job, thanks

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:45 pm

NYAssociate wrote:No need to feel guilty. Dresden doll is also kind of egging it on. It all should just stop.


Not trying to egg it on. He just irritated me with his generalization since I happen to be working for a small firm, and know for a fact that my boss has sometimes billed clients for our work, even if he does eat up a lot of it.

Anyway, agreed that the discussion should cease. I'll do my best to bow out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 pm

rando wrote:
California Babe wrote:
rando wrote:Are you really trying to argue that you know what your firm billed out to the client?

Naive LS is naive.


I'm just going to wait and see if you find the irony on your own, or if someone else has to point it out to you.


This is silly. I'm not telling you I know what your firm did. I'm telling you that I find it hard to believe that it is doing what you say it did. And I question your understanding of how it worked and what you think you know.

You should really understand the syllogism before you point out faulty logic and irony.


And everyone is telling you that you're wrong. This is typical TLS arrogance. You cannot modify your "beliefs" when confronted with actual facts that differ from your "beliefs." Client files have all correspondence with the client in them. This includes bills. Any firm that works this way makes it very simple for SAs to confirm what is being billed out. There are also people who work part-time for small firms during school. They get paid for this work. Believe it or not, good, small attorneys don't want to hire some GG grad when they can get a student from Hastings, Stanford or Berkeley.

If my work isn't valuable, why would I be offered a raise to continue working during the year? Again, you don't know how all small firms work. You're inviting disagreement by being arrogant about it in the section I've bolded.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby rando » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:50 pm

dresden doll wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:No need to feel guilty. Dresden doll is also kind of egging it on. It all should just stop.


Not trying to egg it on. He just irritated me with his generalization since I happen to be working for a small firm, and know for a fact that my boss has sometimes billed clients for our work, even if he does eat up a lot of it.

Anyway, agreed that the discussion should cease. I'll do my best to bow out.


No. I feel bad. Well not particularly bad, but kind of dumb. I re-read some of the posts and I did generalize, sort of without meaning to. I worked at a small firm too 1L year (actually two, including one before LS). I had a very candid employer who told me that he liked my work but would never bill it to a client because he couldn't justify it. I honestly didn't mean to insinuate I knew what was going on at every firm, just to question what you know about how billing happens, that's all.

So, tail between my legs, I came off like an arrogant prick. Again, my bad.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:57 pm

rando wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:No need to feel guilty. Dresden doll is also kind of egging it on. It all should just stop.


Not trying to egg it on. He just irritated me with his generalization since I happen to be working for a small firm, and know for a fact that my boss has sometimes billed clients for our work, even if he does eat up a lot of it.

Anyway, agreed that the discussion should cease. I'll do my best to bow out.


No. I feel bad. Well not particularly bad, but kind of dumb. I re-read some of the posts and I did generalize, sort of without meaning to. I worked at a small firm too 1L year (actually two, including one before LS). I had a very candid employer who told me that he liked my work but would never bill it to a client because he couldn't justify it. I honestly didn't mean to insinuate I knew what was going on at every firm, just to question what you know about how billing happens, that's all.

So, tail between my legs, I came off like an arrogant prick. Again, my bad.


Thread re-railed! It's a miracle!

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:00 pm

rando wrote:So, tail between my legs, I came off like an arrogant prick. Again, my bad.


It's cool. I've been pretty prickly this morning myself and have likely reacted with more abrasion than your post warranted.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:46 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rando wrote:So, tail between my legs, I came off like an arrogant prick. Again, my bad.


It's cool. I've been pretty prickly this morning myself and have likely reacted with more abrasion than your post warranted.


Since when did we stop talking like normal people?


:roll: Exactly what part of that post qualifies as abnormal speech?

Actually, nevermind. I don't care to pursue this argument. That would be pointless given that I'll talk as I please, with or without your blessing.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Just want to point out I'm the only one who really knows what every small firms billing pratices are, but I'm not telling. As yo the OP, like I said don't put your billable hours on your resume, use somome elses billibales instead.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:49 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA





that is all.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:53 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
I'm sorry. I just imagined myself speaking to you in real life and wanting to vomit from the conversation.


You imagined it? We've already met - you should be able to recall the feeling of wanting to vomit.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Include 1L summer billing total in OCI resume?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:54 pm

dresden doll wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
I'm sorry. I just imagined myself speaking to you in real life and wanting to vomit from the conversation.


You imagined it? We've already met - you should be able to recall the feeling of wanting to vomit.


Image




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.