(question answered)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

(question answered)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Post / situation was badly misunderstood - but thanks all anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

RVP11

Re: Quick help needed on DC firms to interview with

Postby RVP11 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:44 pm

ITT: UVA person brags about how many preselects they got

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can pick any, all, or none of the following firms to interview with (i.e. I have offers to interview with all 5). I have strong credentials at a T10 and have already accepted interviews with most of the big names in DC (W&C, Covington, A&P, etc.). I have 17 total interviews already in place, and can have as few as those 17 interviews or as many as 22 if I elect to interview with all of the firms below.

These are the firms I'm on the fence about:

Jones Day (DC)
O'Melveny (DC)
Ropes & Gray (DC)
Latham (DC)
Steptoe (DC)

Any insight at all on any of those firms DC offices would be much appreciated; the decision has to be made by 10 o'clock this evening. Insight more generally into how many firms are appropriate for those with strong credentials would also be quite welcome.

What sort of work do you want to do? Latham DC is apparently quite prestigious.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Why are y'all even helping this person out?

The only CR is to interview with them all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:10 pm

RVP11 wrote:Why are y'all even helping this person out? The only CR is to interview with them all.

RVP11 wrote:ITT: UVA person brags about how many preselects they got

I have no idea why you are being hostile here. If I wanted to brag, anonymously would be a rather poor way to do so. I've got to make decisions by 10. I'm sorry that not everyone is in a position to have to make those decisions, but it is a little overwhelming and I was hoping somebody might know things about these firms that could help make the choice. If that's not a legitimate usage of this forum I really can't imagine what would be.

To NYAssociate and Rayiner, thank you for the help, it is appreciated. I've made my choices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Anyone know anything about Paul Hastings DC? That's the last firm I need to make a decision on.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm

...What exactly do you have to lose by interviewing with all of them?

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can pick any, all, or none of the following firms to interview with (i.e. I have offers to interview with all 5). I have strong credentials at a T10 and have already accepted interviews with most of the big names in DC (W&C, Covington, A&P, etc.). I have 17 total interviews already in place, and can have as few as those 17 interviews or as many as 22 if I elect to interview with all of the firms below.

These are the firms I'm on the fence about:

Jones Day (DC)
O'Melveny (DC)
Ropes & Gray (DC)
Latham (DC)
Steptoe (DC)

Any insight at all on any of those firms DC offices would be much appreciated; the decision has to be made by 10 o'clock this evening. Insight more generally into how many firms are appropriate for those with strong credentials would also be quite welcome.

Edit - realized its after 10

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 pm

bwv812 wrote:Oh hai, I got interviews with the DC big boys but need to know if these other firms are worth my time. You need to tell me about these firms in the next 4 hours, cause I have deadlines.

It's past TS's deadline, but it's still worth it to second this statement. I mean honestly, what's the point of NOT going to those interviews? "Oh no, I didn't get an offer from Covington, I only got an offer from Jones Day" ::shoots self in head::.

Really TS....really.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
bwv812 wrote:Oh hai, I got interviews with the DC big boys but need to know if these other firms are worth my time. You need to tell me about these firms in the next 4 hours, cause I have deadlines.

It's past TS's deadline, but it's still worth it to second this statement. I mean honestly, what's the point of NOT going to those interviews? "Oh no, I didn't get an offer from Covington, I only got an offer from Jones Day" ::shoots self in head::.

Really TS....really.

The thing that shocks me about the original post is that Jones Day & Steptoe (along with Latham and OMM) are some of the best firms in DC... I would be more than happy to work for them (and I don't think you should bid in the first place with anyone you wouldn't want to interview with/work for)

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:53 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Why are y'all even helping this person out? The only CR is to interview with them all.

RVP11 wrote:ITT: UVA person brags about how many preselects they got

I have no idea why you are being hostile here. If I wanted to brag, anonymously would be a rather poor way to do so. I've got to make decisions by 10. I'm sorry that not everyone is in a position to have to make those decisions, but it is a little overwhelming and I was hoping somebody might know things about these firms that could help make the choice. If that's not a legitimate usage of this forum I really can't imagine what would be.

To NYAssociate and Rayiner, thank you for the help, it is appreciated. I've made my choices.

I guess this means...

ITT: RVP spills his insecurities?

Re: my hostility, OP bragging.

So you go to UVA. Seventeen preselect interviews is NOT that many. There are UVA TLSers with 30+ preselects who aren't turning down any more interviews than they have to. Depending on several factors, you could easily still strike out. I'm guessing you have LR grades but that is no guarantee. You're competing with all the other LR folks for those DC callbacks and LR does not guarantee you a SA at W&C/Covington/A&P/Hogan, believe it or not.

You'd be INSANE to turn down interviewing with the five firms you listed just because you already have seventeen (again, not that many) interviews with firms you correctly acknowledge as some of the best in DC. The people at career services would tell you the same thing. The UVA OGI handbook would tell you the same thing. That's why this topic is annoying. The answer is so obvious and readily available. You neglected to do the research or you never picked up the OGI handbook or you don't realize this economy sucks or you are lazy about interviewing with a lot of firms or you came on to TLS to brag or hear about what a great position you're in (which can be done anonymously).

FWIW, I bid on less competitive markets than DC and yielded more interviews than you and I'm still paperbombing firms, resume dropping on Symplicity, and attending career fairs. The mentality of "wow, seventeen interviews is a lot! let's get picky about which non-top DC firms get to interview moi!" is what can leave people with no SA offers. For UVA, let's avoid that attitude - save it for when you have over half a dozen callbacks or multiple offers - and kick some OGI ass. Go team.
Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Machine Spirit wrote:

Really TS....really.

The thing that shocks me about the original post is that Jones Day & Steptoe (along with Latham and OMM) are some of the best firms in DC... I would be more than happy to work for them (and I don't think you should bid in the first place with anyone you wouldn't want to interview with/work for)

+1 Steptoe is as quintessentially D.C. as you can get. And Jones Day is a great firm as well. Great options both.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:37 am

Return to “Legal Employment”