Litigation boutiques

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Re: Litigation boutiques

Postby A'nold » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:48 am

smashedpumpkins wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
smashedpumpkins wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How does one find out about these firms? Do they do OCI as well?

I got EXTREMELY lucky with my firm. No, they'd never do OCI. They are kind of a "come knock on our door and show us what you've got" kind of firm. You can, however, find a firm like this if you look at the writing on the wall plastered everywhere, especially in local newspapers.

Just out of curiosity, do they regularly (every year? every 2 years?) hire entry-level attorneys? Are they as credential driven as some of the other places listed? (W&C, MTO, Susman, etc.)

No dude, I'm talking really local, really small firms started by ex-biglaw guys that branch out on their own and do trial work on high profile cases. At my firm, they would hire a barely accreditted student if they liked them. It is not credential oriented at all b/c it is not corporate, i.e., you work closely with the founding attorney and he cares more about work product and personality than anything else. In fact, when I was being interviewed, they kept telling me how grades (I had very good grades) do not translate to performance.

The firm is growing and they seem to be hiring 1 or 2 entry level attorneys each year. I believe they plan on expanding quicker into the future. But, the salary is crazy good when you factor in bonuses and the work is very satisfying.

I guess my attempt at annonymity failed, haha.

abl

Postby abl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:09 am

Not the OP--what about Chicago? Are there other small ones besides Bartlit Beck (which doesn't hire 2Ls)?

enygma

Postby enygma » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:55 am

abl wrote:Not the OP--what about Chicago? Are there other small ones besides Bartlit Beck (which doesn't hire 2Ls)?

look at miller shakman, grippo & elden, and to a lesser extent barack ferrazzano.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Morvillo Abramowitz should probably be on your list too.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Renzo wrote:Morvillo Abramowitz should probably be on your list too.

and friedman kaplan

Person

Postby Person » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:11 pm

enygma wrote:
abl wrote:Not the OP--what about Chicago? Are there other small ones besides Bartlit Beck (which doesn't hire 2Ls)?

look at miller shakman, grippo & elden, and to a lesser extent barack ferrazzano.

Barack Ferrazzano is not a boutique. They do a bit of everything, and are far heavier in real estate than anything else. Even their corporate is bigger than their litigation.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Last edited by LawSchoolWannaBe on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:58 pm

I don't mean to hijack this thread, especially as a first-time anonymous poster, but I was wondering if anybody could offer insights into my prospects at a place like W&C. Stats: above median at HLS (7 H's, for what its worth), but no LR or significant pre-LS work experience. 1L summer job speaks to serious interest in litigation. W&C is my number 1 choice, but I know it's super-competitive, and my guess is I'll be blown out by my LR peers. Thoughts?

abl

Postby abl » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:37 am

Isn't 7Hs pretty well above median at HLS? As in, top 25% or so? That's 7Hs and 3Ps, right? In a system where only ~35% of people are getting Hs in each class, it's hard to imagine that more than a quarter of the class is getting more than 7/10 Hs, right? Or am I missing something big?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:19 am

At least at Stanford, 70% Hs would be around top 10-15%. Then again, Stanford has a bit stricter of a grading curve than Harvard, so Hs are harder to come by.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:39 am

Yeah, median at HLS is roughly 4 H's under the new grading system, but I have no idea what the breakdown is for top 25%, top 10%, etc. That's why all I said was above median. But assuming I'm in the top quarter of the class, anybody think I have a realistic shot at W&C w/o LR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm confused why you think 4H is median. Say you have 35% of the class getting Hs. That means even if grades are independently distributed, at best you're looking at median of 3.5H (which could be rounded to 4 or 3). Assuming that there is at least a weakly strong positive correlation among grades, median being 3H (or even lower) is a more tenable position.

Furthermore, since median isn't skewed by the top performers who net a huge amount of Hs (and thus leave fewer Hs for the rest of the class), median should be even lower.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:51 pm

I admit my figure of 4 H's as the median is only based on hearsay. Having talked to quite a few members of the class of 2011, it seems like the median falls around 3-4 H's.

...but that's not really the point. I'm clearly above median. I really just wanted to know if anybody had thoughts as to whether or not I have a shot at W&C considering my grades and lack of LR...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I admit my figure of 4 H's as the median is only based on hearsay. Having talked to quite a few members of the class of 2011, it seems like the median falls around 3-4 H's.

...but that's not really the point. I'm clearly above median. I really just wanted to know if anybody had thoughts as to whether or not I have a shot at W&C considering my grades and lack of LR...

Of course you have a shot. I think you have a pretty good shot at that.

Return to “Legal Employment”