loyola patent law fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: loyola patent law fair

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And I don't think this will out me, so I guess I can say the ding was Wilmer Hale. I would rather not say the callback firm yet, since it happened this morning.

Got dinged immediately by Wilmer as well, by multiple offices. On the other hand, I have 6 CB's so far, 2 with rather selective V20 firms. I guess I was not the special snowflake that Wilmer was hoping for when they screened my resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Finnegan, Kenyon, or Goodwin Procter?

Got CB from GP on Monday.

UGH. Thanks dooder.

No reason to fret yet. It could be highly office specific. It could even come down to how quickly a particular interviewer gets his/her papework together for the same office.

At least in my case, GP is doing Patent Fair CB's about a month away, all at once. Lots of time left to invite people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:17 pm

anyone hear from snell and wilmer, haynes and boone or dickstein shapiro?

edit: yeah i did mean dickstein haha...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from snell and wilmer, haynes and boone or dickson shapiro?

I am assuming you mean Dickstein Shapiro?

I interviewed with them and Haynes and Boone, and I have not heard from either as of yet. Cannot speak to Snell and Wilmer.

Also for the dude asking about Kenyon: I too interviewed with them, and I have heard nothing yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 pm

If you have not heard yet, don't worry too much. It takes a while to get through the calls.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from snell and wilmer, haynes and boone or dickson shapiro?

haven't heard from Snell

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Has anyone heard from Morris, Nicholls, Arsht and Tunnell ? I know its a smaller firm in the grand scheme of things so maybe not a whole lot of people around who may have interviewed with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Anybody hear from:
Kirkland
Jones Day
MoFo
?

(these are the only ones I care about)

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback from Banner & Witcoff. Although if you have not heard yet, don't worry too much. It takes a while to get through the calls.

Did you get CB by email or phone call?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 pm

any word from shook hardy bacon or novak druce?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear from:
Kirkland
Jones Day
MoFo
?

Thanks.

Only interviewed with Jones Day from that list at PLIP, and I have not heard back yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Callback from Banner & Witcoff. Although if you have not heard yet, don't worry too much. It takes a while to get through the calls.

Did you get CB by email or phone call?

Phone call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear from:
Kirkland
Jones Day
MoFo
?

Thanks.

No on JD and Kirkland. Did not interview w/ MoFo.
Kirkland seemed to set expectation that it could take awhile. Interviewed w/ 2 offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Poster who asked about JD/Kirkland/MoFo here. Two out of the three said a couple weeks to hear back. But I saw somebody here got a callback from Howrey, and they also told me a couple weeks. So who knows. Maybe its a couple days for CBs but a couple weeks for rejects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

howrey dc has already been giving back callbacks. anyone hear from their other offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And I don't think this will out me, so I guess I can say the ding was Wilmer Hale. I would rather not say the callback firm yet, since it happened this morning.

Got dinged immediately by Wilmer as well, by multiple offices. On the other hand, I have 6 CB's so far, 2 with rather selective V20 firms. I guess I was not the special snowflake that Wilmer was hoping for when they screened my resume.

I only interviewed for the DC office, which I think was part of my downfall. They don't seem to do much IP litigation there, which is what I am looking at.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Jesus, chill out dudes. :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:06 pm

rayiner wrote:Jesus, chill out dudes. :lol:

I agree, although that is why I am responding to the "Anyone heard from ______" questions. I am trying to show the worriers they are not alone, so they should stop worrying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:12 pm

had 20+ interviews, good ip bg from good school, good grades from T14. 0 callbacks so pretty sure theres something seriously lacking in my interviewing abilities (i know people with same background, lower grades, who have already gotten 4-5 callbacks).

giving up on plip; any tips on how to improve for oci...?

btw, given how many firms have already given call backs, i think its pretty safe to assume that if we have not heard from somewhere now, although we're not necessarily dinged, we're not in the first batch of callbacks for that firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:15 pm

rayiner wrote:You guys are working yourself into a froth for no reason.

Agreed. I can barely concentrate at work. I'd imagine that Hiring Committees, across the board, have different procedures for choosing CB candidates, deadlines for choosing CB candidates, scheduling CBs around associate/partner schedules, etc...

I wish I had gotten more interviews, though, to pad my anxiety about the entire process. :(

GL everyone!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had 20+ interviews, good ip bg from good school, good grades from T14. 0 callbacks so pretty sure theres something seriously lacking in my interviewing abilities (i know people with same background, lower grades, who have already gotten 4-5 callbacks).

Dude. Did you not see yellowjacket posting about how all he'd heard yesterday was one ding? Trust me, if he strikes out at PLIP, none of us are getting jobs. :lol:

Has it occurred to you that because you had good grades you interviewed at bigger firms which have a more drawn-out process for giving CBs? Or that you interviewed in bigger markets with more candidates, etc? It's been 2.5 business days since PLIP ended, and firms won't be giving concrete offers until Sept/Oct/Nov. So chill the fuck out.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:btw, given how many firms have already given call backs, i think its pretty safe to assume that if we have not heard from somewhere now, although we're not necessarily dinged, we're not in the first batch of callbacks for that firm.

I don't see how you could possibly conclude that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Anyone hear from:
Paul Hastings
Paul Weiss

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:had 20+ interviews, good ip bg from good school, good grades from T14. 0 callbacks so pretty sure theres something seriously lacking in my interviewing abilities (i know people with same background, lower grades, who have already gotten 4-5 callbacks).

btw, given how many firms have already given call backs, i think its pretty safe to assume that if we have not heard from somewhere now, although we're not necessarily dinged, we're not in the first batch of callbacks for that firm.

I seriously would not worry yet. As everyone else has said, it is much too early for people to be freaking the hell out like they are. Take a deep breath and relax. With 20 interview slots, you are bound to get at least a few call backs. And regardless as to how it may feel, the majority of firms have not started sending them out yet. Especially the bigger ones, where you probably interviewed. So chill.

However, if there is something wrong with the way you interview, we are going to need more information to be able to help you.

Some example questions whose answeres might help us help you would be:
1. Did you make sure your attire was correct? (Suit cleaned and pressed and a dark gray, navy blue, or other conservative color; Shoes and belt matching-usually black-and polished/not scuffed up; shirt pressed and matching, usually a white, off white, light blue, light gray, or other light non obtrusive color; matching tie, not a ridiulous print)
2. Did you have a portfolio or case of some kind to store your resume, transcripts, writing sample, and all the stuff they gave you so that you look organized and are not just carying around a lot of loose papers?
3. Did you keep the conversation rolling during the interview?
4. Did you maintain eye contact?
5. Did you use a lot of placeholder words as you were trying to answer questions?
6. Did you have to take huge pauses while thinking of questions to ask them?
7. Do you have a strong accent which is hard to understand and are shooting for litigation?
8. Do you think you came across as genuine or fake? Together or scattered? Spontanious or rehearsed?
9. Did you manage to get the conversation onto something specific to the firm, or was it all in generalities?
10. Did you make jokes that weren't funny, or were inappropriate?
11. Did you ask questions that could easily be answered by the website or the NALP sheet, or that just wouldn't really be appropriate in a screening interview (like "What do you get paid?", "What is the billable hour requirement?", or "Do you pay for travel for callback interviews?"

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. However, the only way we could really diagnose the problem is if we were in there with you. So it comes down to self evaluation on your part to figure out what the probem might be.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:38 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:btw, given how many firms have already given call backs, i think its pretty safe to assume that if we have not heard from somewhere now, although we're not necessarily dinged, we're not in the first batch of callbacks for that firm.

I don't see how you could possibly conclude that.

Besides, who cares what batch you are in? If you get called back, you are good enough to work there, end of story. At that point, it is all about trying to connect with the attorneys you interview with to show them you fit in at the firm. If they already knew they didn't want you, they wouldn't waste money on flying you out there.

Return to “Legal Employment”