loyola patent law fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: loyola patent law fair

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Foley-Biological Sciences?

yes, within 3 days of the fair

Do you think im dinged, or maybe it depends on the office? Did you hear from your first choice office?

I guess it could depend on the office, but the original call was from the Loyola interviewer, saying he had recommended callback to the chosen office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:38 am

anyone get an offer from fitzpatrick thats been on a cb yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone get any offers through this fair yet?

I've gone on 6 CBs from the fair. 1 ding and 0 offers so far from these.

I've had 4CBs, and no word yet, though in fairness I was warned by each one of the firms that it was still quite early on in the process and that nothing would likely be decided before Labor day. In some cases, I had the CB before they'd gone to *any* campuses at all. But then again, I was told at 2 of the firms that they hire their IP summer associates separately from the rest, and that 99% of the time these people come from Loyola (ie from the fair). I've started picturing this as kind of like being on the FastPass line at Disney World, though that could just be wishful thinking. Though it seems clear that, if you have the credentials, getting an IP summer associateship at a GP firm is a WAY easier row to hoe than to get hired as a generalist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:44 pm

bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump it up!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm

lol. any good news from GP from anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:28 pm

I've gone on 6 CBs and have only heard from one firm (ding). This is not a good sign. I figured I'd get at least 1 offer from the LPIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:54 am

I received offers from Kirkland and Covington (both D.C.). I have declined most of the callbacks from the fair because I also had success from my campus interviews.

I loved both offices. My biggest concern with Kirkland is the loss of a couple key partners in IP in NYC, and the fact that the D.C. office often cross-staffs with NYC and Chicago (I'm not sure starting out it would be my preference to work on cases where the lead partner was in other cities). But the people I meet at Kirkland were great, really great. The IP group is largely separate from the rest of the firm, and it has a nice feel to it.

I have no concerns about Covington. Seems like a great place in general.

What do you all think about the two? Which would you take?

I have a couple other offers from on-campus interviews, but I think these are my top two choices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I received offers from Kirkland and Covington (both D.C.). I have declined most of the callbacks from the fair because I also had success from my campus interviews.

I loved both offices. My biggest concern with Kirkland is the loss of a couple key partners in IP in NYC, and the fact that the D.C. office often cross-staffs with NYC and Chicago (I'm not sure starting out it would be my preference to work on cases where the lead partner was in other cities). But the people I meet at Kirkland were great, really great. The IP group is largely separate from the rest of the firm, and it has a nice feel to it.

I have a couple other offers from on-campus interviews, but I think these are my top two choices.

flame, buddy is fourth year associate at Cov-DC; knows for a fact that no offers made for next summer in the DC IP group as of Friday - they haven't even finished w/ reference checks yet for any single candidate, and yes, this includes Loyola fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

flame, buddy is fourth year associate at Cov-DC; knows for a fact that no offers made for next summer in the DC IP group as of Friday - they haven't even finished w/ reference checks yet for any single candidate, and yes, this includes Loyola fair.

Covington told me they check references before callback. Admittedly, it took a long time for them to call me back, but the time between callback and offer was short. I know other people from my school who got offers through our OCI. It's possible they hired me not specifically to the IP group, but I definitely interviewed at the Loyola fair.

I would still appreciate insight. I know many of you are very well informed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Covington told me they check references before callback. Admittedly, it took a long time for them to call me back, but the time between callback and offer was short. I know other people from my school who got offers through our OCI. It's possible they hired me not specifically to the IP group, but I definitely interviewed at the Loyola fair.

flame continues... Cov wouldn't interview you at the LOYOLA fair and not hire you to the IP group.. and they haven't made any offers @ IP group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Look up Cov-DC on ATL, they've got some concerns financially, wouldn't be the safest place to start.

If name people keep exiting Kirkland for rival firms, that band 1 IP thing might be temporary.

Both are good firms, I'd keep looking though, DC offices aren't ideal for either firm (not sure any office is for Cov). At the same time, if Cov-DC keeps hiring Fed Cir clerks and becomes a nationwide presence for IP, you could end up being in a good spot.

As for Kirkland, its concerning that these folks are jumping ship, and I'm talking - big timers. I'm too glib to understand why they're leaving - but all I know is - big names leaving a specific department of a nationwide firm is NOT good for the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Kirkland will be band 1 in IP for the foreseeable future. K&E NY for NYC possibly not, but nationally and in Chicago, certainly yes. It's amusing to see people name-drop and talk about these firms as if they know exactly what's going on. Even after the recent departures, K&E NY is still an IP powerhouse.

See: --LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:28 pm

dude, nobody on this website "knows whats going on" - we're all working with limited information, take it easy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dude, nobody on this website "knows whats going on" - we're all working with limited information, take it easy

It might have seemed like an overreaction, but I read these posts every day here. Gets annoying.

zOMG XYZ partner LEFT THIS FIRM! WHATS GONNA HAPPEN!??!?!?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Gets annoying.

Like I said bro, take a chill pill, none of this stuff should inform someone's decision regarding selecting where they'll work for the next summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Like I said bro, take a chill pill, none of this stuff should inform someone's decision regarding selecting where they'll work for the next summer.

I agree. But again, people here act like it should.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Also, I think you're overrating my reaction to this. Couldn't be chiller.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree. But again, people here act like it should.

Seriously. I assure you that what John Desmerais and his buddies do has ZERO to do with whether or not you get a callback, whether or not you get an offer, and whether or not you get a permanent offer next year. It might change a couple of the names in the captions of your cases, that's it. The name-dropping on this site just gets silly sometimes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Look up Cov-DC on ATL, they've got some concerns financially, wouldn't be the safest place to start.

If name people keep exiting Kirkland for rival firms, that band 1 IP thing might be temporary.

Both are good firms, I'd keep looking though, DC offices aren't ideal for either firm (not sure any office is for Cov). At the same time, if Cov-DC keeps hiring Fed Cir clerks and becomes a nationwide presence for IP, you could end up being in a good spot.

As for Kirkland, its concerning that these folks are jumping ship, and I'm talking - big timers. I'm too glib to understand why they're leaving - but all I know is - big names leaving a specific department of a nationwide firm is NOT good for the firm.

Are you fricking insane? You're not going to find firms much safer than Kirkland and Covington.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously. I assure you that what John Desmerais and his buddies do has ZERO to do with whether or not you get a callback, whether or not you get an offer, and whether or not you get a permanent offer next year. It might change a couple of the names in the captions of your cases, that's it. The name-dropping on this site just gets silly sometimes.

Please restrict taking the above advice when considering accepting an offer at law firms with very deep benches in patent litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Covington told me they check references before callback. Admittedly, it took a long time for them to call me back, but the time between callback and offer was short. I know other people from my school who got offers through our OCI. It's possible they hired me not specifically to the IP group, but I definitely interviewed at the Loyola fair.

flame continues... Cov wouldn't interview you at the LOYOLA fair and not hire you to the IP group.. and they haven't made any offers @ IP group.

I'm certainly not a malicious or intentional flame. So, either your friend is misinformed, or attorneys at Covington get their jollies by calling people after their callback interviews and telling them (incorrectly or prematurely) that they have summer offer.

Either way, I'm curious to here what more people think about Covington. They are ranking in IP in D.C. behind only Finnegan (on Chambers). And because of the Fed. Cir. being in D.C., the PTO being in D.C., Cov's strong FDA practice, and their ITC hi-tech work, Covington to me sounds like an awesome place to work if you want to do IP litigation. Sure, other places in other cities might be better for straight district court IP litigation (I'm thinking Irell in particular), but if you want a diversity of practice I can't think of a more exciting place. Does anyway have information that should make me question this? Someone mentioned Cov might be struggling financial based on ATL posts. I looked in detail and the only thing it mentioned were the freezes in associate salary (which have been unfrozen). From what I can tell, Covington is in strong financial shape. To the anon. poster who keeps calling me a flame, does you connection with people at Cov give you any special insight into the health of the firm? I would love to hear anything about Cov. that you can't learn on Vault, ATL, or Chambers.

Do you know any place on the East Coast that is better that Cov for patent litigation besides K&E? Skadden NYC? Weil NYC? Cravath? I want to work at a V25 firm, and it seems like very few of the top firms on the East Coast are strong in patent work. Plus, if I could pick my dream job, it would allow me the option of doing some regulatory work (I think only D.C. firms really provide this option).

dood

Postby dood » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:53 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:56 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 am

Has anyone received a DING from any of the following firms:

Baker Botts - Austin
Paul Hastings - San Diego
Perkins Coie - Seattle
Pillsbury Winthrop - LA
Klarquist - Portland
Banner Witcoff

?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 am

I frankly don't know what to make of Covington being down at band 3 nationwide IP litigation, and by that I mean - I don't know what that should mean for you. You don't wanna be in a large law firm where IP isn't a revenue-dominating department, so you REALLY wanna be in a band 1 nationwide firm like weil, wilmer, kirkland, irell, mofo or ropes.

Maybe nationwide band 3 means nothing at all - if the firm's DC office has a lot of talent. While you don't wanna be in a firm where IP isn't the main event, you ALSO don't wanna be holed up in some satellite office where there's 10 attorneys, and they're all doing some big town's bidding. I think you should do more digging into what relevance a "nationwide" rating for a firm's practice has for you.

Return to “Legal Employment”